Too Many Players on the Line of Scrimmage

HawkGA

Reaction score
Can somebody explain the rational of this as a rule/penalty? Just curious.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Is there such a rule? I know there is a rule for there being a minimum of seven players on the line, but you can have more than seven. Having more than seven reduces the amount of eligible receivers you can have on the play though.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I can't remember the specific game but I recall hearing in a game (might have been college, so maybe that matters) about a WR being on the line of scrimmage when he should have been back a bit. Announcer said something about "covering" the TE. I believe the official penalty is called an Illegal Formation.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":2ar1rwzn said:
I can't remember the specific game but I recall hearing in a game (might have been college, so maybe that matters) about a WR being on the line of scrimmage when he should have been back a bit. Announcer said something about "covering" the TE. I believe the official penalty is called an Illegal Formation.
Yes, this is a real penalty. Frankly, I don't know if there is a maximum number of players that can be on the LOS. Doesn't apply to defense, of course. But on offense, there are certain groups of numbers that are designated as elilgible receivers/ball carriers. I know they can't play an ineligible player in an eligible position without checking in with the ref, but are there rules about an eligible receiver playing in an ineligible position? Per the rule you point out, I guess there is.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Here's the OFFICIAL rule

Position of Players at Snap
Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.
Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)
No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance.
No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.
No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.
If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.
All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).
After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.
Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.
Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It's to prevent rioting. If there are too many players at the line of scrimmage and the referees make a call they dislike, they will riot. They will riot hard.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
So that makes it sound like they have to have at least 7 but that they could have everybody (save for the QB, of course). I'm quite certain I've seen a penalty called when a WR was on the line of scrimmage but shouldn't have been. But again, I'm pretty sure it was a college game so maybe that is the difference.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1t5kkzi7 said:
So that makes it sound like they have to have at least 7 but that they could have everybody (save for the QB, of course). I'm quite certain I've seen a penalty called when a WR was on the line of scrimmage but shouldn't have been. But again, I'm pretty sure it was a college game so maybe that is the difference.

When lining up on the line of scrimmage, only the two outside players are eligible receivers, so for this reason, most teams generally don't have more than 7 players line up that way. I'm not sure I've ever seen it called where there were too many on the line of scrimmage so perhaps it was college or maybe it was just an illegal formation call but wasn't too many men on the line of scrimmage

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":1dsbo6yi said:
HawkGA":1dsbo6yi said:

When lining up on the line of scrimmage, only the two outside players are eligible receivers, so for this reason, most teams generally don't have more than 7 players line up that way. I'm not sure I've ever seen it called where there were too many on the line of scrimmage so perhaps it was college or maybe it was just an illegal formation call but wasn't too many men on the line of scrimmage
It happens all the time, where an outside receiver, presumably a flanker, is too close to the line and thus 'covers' another receiver with an eligible number. I guess it begs the question: Could you put 7 ineligible linemen out there, along with two WR, which would be on the line and eligible to catch a ball as long as they were on the line and 'covered' the ineligible linemen?

Interesting possible loophole. How long until Belichick exploits it? :laugh:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
This probably occurred because the WR was the end man on the line of scrimmage and there was another eligible receiver between him and the tackle on the line of scrimmage as well. If you have an eligible receiver number (11-49 or 80-89 in the NFL I believe) and you are lined up in an ineligible position then you have to report as ineligible. I think this is what all the hullabaloo was about with the Patriot formations in the playoffs a couple years back.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2zy1171d said:
kidhawk":2zy1171d said:
HawkGA":2zy1171d said:

It happens all the time, where an outside receiver, presumably a flanker, is too close to the line and thus 'covers' another receiver with an eligible number. I guess it begs the question: Could you put 7 ineligible linemen out there, along with two WR, which would be on the line and eligible to catch a ball as long as they were on the line and 'covered' the ineligible linemen?

Interesting possible loophole. How long until Belichick exploits it? :laugh:

Saw this play and figured this was as good a place as any to post it. Interesting way they arranged their linemen on this play

[youtube]NnJcHKGmmVc[/youtube]

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
kidhawk":nw3nrxvi said:
HawkGA":nw3nrxvi said:

Oh, okay, only the two outside being eligible. That makes sense.

So that gets me back to the original question. Is there purpose to this rule? Would offenses have a competitive advantage by putting all players on the line of scrimmage?

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":295gvvn7 said:
kidhawk":295gvvn7 said:
HawkGA":295gvvn7 said:

So that gets me back to the original question. Is there purpose to this rule? Would offenses have a competitive advantage by putting all players on the line of scrimmage?

As the rule is written they wouldn't, because as was mentioned by someone up the thread, there are eligible numbers and ineligible numbers. When either of them switch, the referee must be notified and in turn must notify the defense with an announcement. So if they all lined up on the line of scrimmage, there would likely 2-3 ineligible numbers lined up on the line of scrimmage. They would have to announce that to the other team or get penalized. This would reduce the amount of eligible receivers to 2 and be pretty easy to defend, especially considering there'd be an empty backfield. At least that's how I see it.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
kidhawk":2eaci2k4 said:
HawkGA":2eaci2k4 said:
kidhawk":2eaci2k4 said:
HawkGA":2eaci2k4 said:

As the rule is written they wouldn't, because as was mentioned by someone up the thread, there are eligible numbers and ineligible numbers. When either of them switch, the referee must be notified and in turn must notify the defense with an announcement. So if they all lined up on the line of scrimmage, there would likely 2-3 ineligible numbers lined up on the line of scrimmage. They would have to announce that to the other team or get penalized. This would reduce the amount of eligible receivers to 2 and be pretty easy to defend, especially considering there'd be an empty backfield. At least that's how I see it.

No, I mean lets say that rule wasn't in place. Would there be a competitive advantage?

Perhaps it's just a rule to help the refs keep track of who are eligible receivers.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":3t074z9z said:

Might help in the running game, I guess. :laugh:

Certainly would limit your options in the passing game if there are only two receivers. In the lower levels, college and HS, there is no numbering control over eligible and non-eligible positions. In the pros, the numbers tell the refs who's eligible and not. Thus the necessity to report when a team brings in a 6th OL in their heavy packages. I was a little vague on the idea that eligible players have to report when they play ineligible, so the comments above helped clarify that.

Interesting discussion about a subject that most of us kind of take for granted.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":3gs3idqi said:
Interesting discussion about a subject that most of us kind of take for granted.

You're welcome. :irishdrinkers:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3i1s4yhv said:
kidhawk":3i1s4yhv said:
HawkGA":3i1s4yhv said:

I don't see how they would. They would only have two eligible receivers and if there was any competitive advantage to that you might actually see it in a game.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
We don't see it, presumably, because of the penalty. Or at least we don't see it intentionally because of the penalty. What I'm trying to get at is the rational for the penalty. Let's say it wasn't a penalty, would this somehow advantage the offense to do it? If so, how?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1iqqwzc8 said:
We don't see it, presumably, because of the penalty. Or at least we don't see it intentionally because of the penalty. What I'm trying to get at is the rational for the penalty. Let's say it wasn't a penalty, would this somehow advantage the offense to do it? If so, how?

It doesn't have to be a penalty though. In theory, a team could put 8 offensive lineman (they would have ineligible numbers) in the game with two receivers on either side. That would be a legal formation.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Well, yes, but then they would only have 2 receivers. What if you could have as many people as you wanted on the line of scrimmage but all but certain numbers could go out in pass patterns?