Texans warned to stay in hotel, not order room service in M

Jville

Reaction score
Houston Texans players are being advised by the team not to leave the hotel and not to order room service during their trip to Mexico City for Monday night’s game against the Oakland Raiders.
........ A section of the memo under the heading "safety" had a bullet point with: "DO NOT leave the hotel." It was followed by a line advising players to leave all "expensive jewelry at home," not to bring large sums of money and not to use ATMs.

Texans warned to stay in hotel, not order room service in Mexico >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.khou.com/sports/nfl/texans/texans-warned-to-stay-in-hotel-not-order-room-service-in-mexico/353333652[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting reference to a memo from the NFL. A reminder for everyone who visits this thread to .......... "know where your food comes from". It's a trust and health issue.

The rule about room service could be related to a memo the NFL sent to its players earlier this year warning that some meat produced in China and Mexico may be contaminated with clenbuterol, a banned steroid. That memo, sent by the league office, said that consuming large quantities of meat while visiting those countries may result in a positive test for clenbuterol. The memo told the players to "please take caution if you decide to consume meat, and understand that you do so at your own risk."

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Pretty sure they're going to be praised for thinking ahead.... Going to Mexico City for top-level athletics is a whole different beast than American cities. Eat or drink the wrong thing and it's game over for a player, probably for the better part of an entire week, actually. Not to mention the crime down there.

I don't understand how or why the media would vilify the Texans for getting all their ducks in a row and addressing issues that, anyone who has ever been to Mexico or doesn't live under a rock, already knows as common sense.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jville":2dpa9a0q said:
Interesting reference to a memo from the NFL. A reminder for everyone who visits this thread to .......... "know where your food comes from". It's a trust and health issue.

The rule about room service could be related to a memo the NFL sent to its players earlier this year warning that some meat produced in China and Mexico may be contaminated with clenbuterol, a banned steroid. That memo, sent by the league office, said that consuming large quantities of meat while visiting those countries may result in a positive test for clenbuterol. The memo told the players to "please take caution if you decide to consume meat, and understand that you do so at your own risk."

Can you imagine getting popped for steroids because you had a burger the night before the game?

uncle fester

Reaction score
London12":3foe7un2 said:
Wonder what warnings they get here in London..

Be warned of injuries sustained from tripping over all the tourists.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I wonder if the NFL employs security people similar to the secret service for each team for this trip? Can you imagine if a high- profile NFL player was kidnapped on a trip such as this?

RedAlice

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":376lwoe6 said:
I wonder if the NFL employs security people similar to the secret service for each team for this trip? Can you imagine if a high- profile NFL player was kidnapped on a trip such as this?

I was wondering that as well - they must.

My ex spent a year or so in and out of Mexico City for work as a tech exec and they gave him two body guards from airport in to airport out with a bullet proof car every time. Crazy place.

I have to imagine that security is heightened for both teams for this game, either by the NFL or the teams themselves.

I'm also looking forward to watching this game - in general it's a fun city and I bet the fans attending will be great.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Jville":18t2gbgg said:

Also there is the peeing out of your butt thing.

Sign37now

Reaction score
That place is such a corrupt shithole I can't believe the NFL is playing a game down there.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1qinlb80 said:
Pretty sure they're going to be praised for thinking ahead.... Going to Mexico City for top-level athletics is a whole different beast than American cities. Eat or drink the wrong thing and it's game over for a player, probably for the better part of an entire week, actually. Not to mention the crime down there.

I don't understand how or why the media would vilify the Texans for getting all their ducks in a row and addressing issues that, anyone who has ever been to Mexico or doesn't live under a rock, already knows as common sense.
Which media vilified the Texans?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
It's pretty sad that the NFL would knowingly put these teams' personnel at risk just so they can try and expand the brand. This isn't Disney World.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
There used to be a sport more popular in Mexico than soccer. Then something terrible happened >>>> [urltargetblank]http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/after-the-massacre-1968-mexico-city-american-football/[/urltargetblank]

Image 844 large 2048

uncle fester

Reaction score
Fantastic, albeit somber article. Well worth reading for anyone here.

Thanks for posting.