The Extra Point, a Year Later

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What is your opinion now on the extra point?

I've done a 180 on it. At the beginning of the season I liked it move back, made for more excitement. But now I don't like it, and the main reason is it makes kickers a bigger part of the outcome of games.

I like position players deciding games, not kickers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Go for 2 then

nothing should be a certainty. Maybe it could be 5/10 yards closer to clean up the misses a little. But still, 33 yarders shouldn't be that hard

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1w4vlryb said:
Go for 2 then

nothing should be a certainty. Maybe it could be 5/10 yards closer to clean up the misses a little. But still, 33 yarders shouldn't be that hard

Apparently it is though, I think there was 12 extra point misses yesterday? Crazy!

I get what the league is trying to do, make a boring play exciting. But I just don't like kickers deciding games, and I betcha the players and coaches feel the same way.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Points shouldn't be that easy to score. A 20 yard extra point in the NFL was too easy for teams to make. If we make the extra point automatic, then that just makes it even easier. Moving it back is the right idea.

I can understand why people don't want kickers deciding games, but IMO the kicking game adds a lot of drama to the game which increases the entertainment value. And don't forget that a successful kick isn't all on the kicker...the snapper, the holder, and all those big fellas up front blocking are every bit as important to the success of a kick.

KillerB

Reaction score
The new, gotta-earn-it extra point distance is a major improvement. I like it a lot...even though Seattle can't seem to block for them effectively.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think the element of surprise has been taken out of the play now and that is what I don't like about it. Previously they would line up for a kick, but could easily fake it and go for two, and it really didn't hurt your chances, because the ball was spotted in the same place all the time. Now it's spotted so far back, they've basically taken the fake extra point off the board. Once they line up to kick it, there just really isn't as much anticipation as there was before. At least not for me

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kidhawk":3qt3nym4 said:
I think the element of surprise has been taken out of the play now and that is what I don't like about it. Previously they would line up for a kick, but could easily fake it and go for two, and it really didn't hurt your chances, because the ball was spotted in the same place all the time. Now it's spotted so far back, they've basically taken the fake extra point off the board. Once they line up to kick it, there just really isn't as much anticipation as there was before. At least not for me

I dont ever remember a fake extra point. Did those actually exist? Seems much higher percentage to just run a 2 point conversion play then run a fake extra point... even from the 2 yard line.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yeah I am on the "just give them 7 for a TD" train

Would cut down on commercials and improve flow as well

kidhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2qcvjgfm said:
kidhawk":2qcvjgfm said:

I dont ever remember a fake extra point. Did those actually exist? Seems much higher percentage to just run a 2 point conversion play then run a fake extra point... even from the 2 yard line.

They weren't all that common, but I definitely saw a few over the years. They would generally happen at times when it wasn't always the logical move to go for 2, but where that extra point could be an advantage. it was probably less common than a failed snap, but they did happen. It may have just been something that coaches saw on tape of teams lining up and took advantage from time to time.

Found this video of one that happened with a quick google search just for reference. This was a Ravens/Steelers game

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d822228cb/K-Koch-2-point-conversion-run[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":2xpmscnt said:

Oh there's still an element of surprise, as in the element of surprise of having it blocked or missed.

Which I guess is the point? Idk, if the league is trying to inject more chances for their players to show off their athleticism and talent, then how is having 5-10 sloppy extra point plays being blocked or missed accomplishing that?

I get it's cool to see Bobby jump over the line, but that's 2-3 times a year for the entire league.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
KillerB":l0o793e5 said:
The new, gotta-earn-it extra point distance is a major improvement. I like it a lot...even though Seattle can't seem to block for them effectively.

Yeah I'm kind of curious if other teams are seeing more PATs blocked or kickers just missing their attempts. If teams are blocking them more often than kickers missing them, then it's actually the players that are having MORE influence on the outcomes than the kickers.

I like the change so far, I think it's making it a more important play and that's one of the things the NFL wanted it to do. The ONLY reason I'd ever be in the "give em 7 for a TD" camp would be for (hopefully) less commercials on the turn of possession.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1blemnaj said:
kidhawk":1blemnaj said:

Oh there's still an element of surprise, as in the element of surprise of having it blocked or missed.

Which I guess is the point? Idk, if the league is trying to inject more chances for their players to show off their athleticism and talent, then how is having 5-10 sloppy extra point plays being blocked or missed accomplishing that?

I get it's cool to see Bobby jump over the line, but that's 2-3 times a year for the entire league.

For me, it's not the bad surprises I'm looking for. I want to have some element of excitement in a play, and when they line up to kick an extra point, there is really none of that for me anymore. That was one of the things I enjoyed about adding the 2-point conversion, it opened up the PAT for a little something else. Now, It's about as boring as watching the ball on kickoffs when it's obviously going to be to the back of the endzone or even go through the endzone. The ONLY blocked kick that had any excitement to it (IMO) was the one that got ran back for 2 points in the Broncos/Saints game. And 1 kick this far into the season just isn't worth the change to me.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":hl4hfz3m said:
Sgt. Largent":hl4hfz3m said:
kidhawk":hl4hfz3m said:

For me, it's not the bad surprises I'm looking for. I want to have some element of excitement in a play, and when they line up to kick an extra point, there is really none of that for me anymore. That was one of the things I enjoyed about adding the 2-point conversion, it opened up the PAT for a little something else. Now, It's about as boring as watching the ball on kickoffs when it's obviously going to be to the back of the endzone or even go through the endzone. The ONLY blocked kick that had any excitement to it (IMO) was the one that got ran back for 2 points in the Broncos/Saints game. And 1 kick this far into the season just isn't worth the change to me.

I hear ya, then let's just have everyone have to go for 2 after a TD. That's exciting and accomplishes what the league wants right?

LESS KICKERS!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't see how eliminating the extra point would reduce commercials. They don't play commercials before and after the attempt.

kidhawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2fisciha said:
I don't see how eliminating the extra point would reduce commercials. They don't play commercials before and after the attempt.

If they want to eliminate commercials, they should just do away with kickoffs. That is a serious commercial fest there.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I hate it.

Losing a game due to a missed extra point would be a supreme kick in the nuts and just stupid.

Fade

Reaction score
When the rule was first implemented last year. I rolled my eyes, and thought it would be gone after about a month into the season, after a "legacy" team lost a game due to a missed extra point.

Here we are over a year later, and I still hate it. It's dumb. I want the extra point eliminated entirely. Teams could risk a point if they want to go for 2, so that option is still there.

Get on with the game, and kickoff from the 30 so we can see returns again.

253hawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3a7279qk said:
I hate it.

Losing a game due to a missed extra point would be a supreme kick in the nuts and just stupid.

How about a tie due to 2 missed field goals even shorter than an XP?

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Interesting to see how much people like it.

Myself, I hated it from the git-go and hate it more today. For me, it doesn't add excitement at all; it just adds randomness. There's really no rhyme or reason to when a kick gets missed, it just does and it's basically unpredictable.

Pro football is already a mega high-variance endeavor where flukes and weird stuff have outsized impact on the final result. Throw in penalties, injuries, scheduling and the really small amount of chances you get to recover from bad luck, and you've got a game that's super random already.

More missed extra points just give more opportunities for the best team not to win.