Seahawks rumoured to be playing in London in 2017

original poster

Reaction score
As above, I am hearing rumours the Seahawks will play the Rams in London next year (Rams will be the home team).

This is very exciting from a longstanding UK Seahawks fan.

Anyone else heard anything similar?

Storts

Reaction score
Where did you hear that?

I've been waiting for this for a long time, but won't get my hopes up!

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Via NFL UK on Facebook.

As you say, I'm not getting my hopes up too much until they confirm it themselves, the Seahawks are certainly due a UK visit!

Storts

Reaction score
Absolutely, and with the success think our fanbase is growing over here too. See far more Seahawks Jerseys at the Wembley games than you used to it at the start

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
This post could go on the main forum....but to the op, I have seen also where Jax Jags have a home game that may be used in London next year too. Not sure if it is gonna be 2 or 3 games over there or not? Twas on facebook Nfl or sunday night football or one of them.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":6ocgw3wb said:
This post could go on the main forum....but to the op, I have seen also where Jax Jags have a home game that may be used in London next year too. Not sure if it is gonna be 2 or 3 games over there or not? Twas on facebook Nfl or sunday night football or one of them.

Jax will 100% be having a home game over here as well, they signed a 5 year deal 2 years ago IIRC. Rumour is they will be playing the Ravens.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Well, they got HALF of a pair of good teams.

Too bad it'll be so low-scoring.

Largent80

Reaction score
I hope not. And I wish they would stop the obsurdity of playing games outside the U.S.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":3qu6dey3 said:
I hope not. And I wish they would stop the obsurdity of playing games outside the U.S.
I understand the excitement of our English fans to have this happen, but selfishly, I agree with L80 on this.

kidhawk

Reaction score
If we were to go to London for a game, I'd want it to at least come the week before a bye week. Personally I'd love to be able to go to a London game. I think that'd be a blast, but I wouldn't want to see them go through that length of trip and then have to come back to play the next week.

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":1blrdjel said:
If we were to go to London for a game, I'd want it to at least come the week before a bye week. Personally I'd love to be able to go to a London game. I think that'd be a blast, but I wouldn't want to see them go through that length of trip and then have to come back to play the next week.
I full "NFL hates us" mode, I'll wager that after the London trip, they'll send us to Florida on a Thursday night. :twisted:

London12

Reaction score
Where and when do they announce it? I'd be straight on it, shame it'd be the Rams.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kidhawk":46pzh8yc said:

Something like this would definitely be ideal. I could never see the NFL actually thinking this far ahead and caring about the teams, but it would be nice if the teams playing in London either had a TNF/bye the week before and then bye/MNF the week after.

I would be super excited if I was a Hawks fan in London, but I imagine most of us wish we wouldn't have to fly all that way for one game. Especially if the NFL doesn't make "appropriate" concessions for travel/rest.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3g13stvp said:
kidhawk":3g13stvp said:

Something like this would definitely be ideal. I could never see the NFL actually thinking this far ahead and caring about the teams, but it would be nice if the teams playing in London either had a TNF/bye the week before and then bye/MNF the week after.

I would be super excited if I was a Hawks fan in London, but I imagine most of us wish we wouldn't have to fly all that way for one game. Especially if the NFL doesn't make "appropriate" concessions for travel/rest.

Looking at this year's games, it looks like they actually may have tried to work it out so teams had byes. 5 of the 6 teams had byes following their games in London. The only team not to have a bye week after was the Colts, and they returned to play the bears (almost better than a bye week...the colts won that game).

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Didn't I just read that there will be no more early-morning games in London following the 2017 season? Had to do with low ratings. I'm not sure if this means no more London games period, or they will somehow have to get creative and find a different time slot that works.

sutz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ynjstxu said:
Didn't I just read that there will be no more early-morning games in London following the 2017 season? Had to do with low ratings. I'm not sure if this means no more London games period, or they will somehow have to get creative and find a different time slot that works.
That's the problem with spanning that many time zones. 3 hours coast to coast is hard enough, 8 hours from London to the West Coast means somebody is in the middle of the night at one end or the other. ;)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":ml0unl9c said:

I've read that it's been discussed due to poor ratings overall, but haven't seen anything definite. If they did move it to a 1 pm Eastern Start, that would mean it starts at 5 pm in London, which should be doable. It would also make the game start time on the west coast more reasonable.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The Rams have always had a bye after their London games and an East coast game the week before - making it one really long road trip and then a bye. This year was Detroit - London - home for bye.

This really sucks if it is true. It's one thing for the Rams to give up a home game, but even worse to give up a home divisional game.

Last year, it was determined during the season that the Rams would host in London whichever team in the NFC East finished in the same position as them - which is how the Giants ended up with the game. So, they probably have already decided which team.

It's also rumored Rams play Niners in Shanghai in 2018, another divisional game. Rams have a 3 year International game contract until the new stadium is built.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":q7fdwbsc said:
The Rams have always had a bye after their London games and an East coast game the week before - making it one really long road trip and then a bye. This year was Detroit - London - home for bye.

This really sucks if it is true. It's one thing for the Rams to give up a home game, but even worse to give up a home divisional game.

Last year, it was determined during the season that the Rams would host in London whichever team in the NFC East finished in the same position as them - which is how the Giants ended up with the game. So, they probably have already decided which team.

It's also rumored Rams play Niners in Shanghai in 2018, another divisional game. Rams have a 3 year International game contract until the new stadium is built.

For some reason, I thought the Giants had to play a game in London because they won a super bowl bid? I know I read somewhere that it was part of the new bidding rules to get a super bowl in your home stadium, to play in an international series within 5 years. Maybe it's just a "happy coincidence"? Or maybe it didn't kick in until after the NY Super Bowl?