Gronkowski to have back surgery

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Per Ian Rappoport's tweet.

For a guy who is 6ft 6, what is the chances of him being 100% after this? JJ Watt hasn't came back from his back issues yet.

Could he retire or the Patriots dump him like they do with a lot of injured players?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Depends on the back surgery he needs. I've had 4. The first was a "laminectomy" which just cleaned out the "holes" where the nerves enter the spine. It's no big deal although they made me take 3 months off.

The other 3 were all fusions. T8-T11 was 2 rods and 8 screws that kept me out of a wheelchair and diaper for the rest of my life. I was fortunate they caught that one before it went because there were no symptoms. Wore a 2 piece shell for several months that had a belt around it and tightened it to support my torso. After 3 months I was able to go back to doing whatever, but probably not anything like playing football.

L3-L5 was a lower back fusion, 2 rods, 6 screws that really doesn't limit anything except I had to take 3 months off, again.

C6, C7. T1 fusion was a plate and 6 screws, with no time off needed and didn't slow me down at all.

So, it all depends. "Back Surgery" can include anything from minor, 1 day inpatient surgery, all the way to a week or so in the hospital, with months to recover only to be limited in what one can do.

With JJ Watt, he just needs to build his core back up and get back to playing speed.

When recovering from back surgery, it's impossible to maintain the weight that these guys carry, so they have to take the requisite time off for everything to heal, hope that scar tissue doesn't develop, then start working their way back up to playing weight and speed.

My guess, since he's been playing with the pain, and it hasn't gotten better, probably something that will take him out for this season, but if surgery and recovery are successful, he'll be back next year with very little limitation.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This is huge news for us. Assuming we make it to the SB, the Pats are the likely team we would face. Gronk is the one mismatch we can't account for. I heard he would miss 8 weeks which would make him pretty "iffy" for the SB. Even if he is back in time, I doubt he would be close to fully healthy.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Early reports are putting him out for several weeks. I found that to be surprising. When I hear back surgery, I automatically think 6 weeks minimum. Guess we'll see once more details become available

HawkGA

Reaction score
I would think he would be out a while. I mean, I'm kind of a wuss and don't like getting hit, but I certainly wouldn't want to mess around with my back. Back and neck, those things you don't play with. The limbs you can take chances on.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Hawks BETTER make it to the super bowl now!
Might be a cakewalk for the NFC team.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Damn one injury leads to this one and Gronk has had numerous surgeries on arm,back and a total on a knee..I dunno but I think he's getting close to the end..He is one tough guy though

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
AFC Championship is in 7 weeks.

SB is in 9 weeks.

Most reports I have heard is that he is about 8 weeks away. If the Pats make the SB, this will likely be the big story for the two weeks leading up to the SB.

Threedee

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":291tppn3 said:
This is huge news for us. Assuming we make it to the SB, the Pats are the likely team we would face. Gronk is the one mismatch we can't account for. I heard he would miss 8 weeks which would make him pretty "iffy" for the SB. Even if he is back in time, I doubt he would be close to fully healthy.

Bennett is still pretty dangerous.

Mizak

Reaction score
Notice they said 2016 season? Nothing being said about 2017 which is playoff season.

He'll come back next year in time for either AFC championship Game (against the Raiders) or Super Bowl (against Seahawks).

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
LolaRox":1pn99u5a said:
This game is brutal, I hate to see players hurt.

Does anyone else think it's strange to have the family and team release a joint statement about an injury? Makes me think something else is going on.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/804511364941303809

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/804511364941303809[/tweet]

That's not the first time Gronk's family and the Patriots have come out with a joint statement.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BostonBlackie":36c07msm said:
LolaRox":36c07msm said:

Does anyone else think it's strange to have the family and team release a joint statement about an injury? Makes me think something else is going on.

That's not the first time Gronk's family and the Patriots have come out with a joint statement.

Thanks BostonBlackie...And welcome to the site. :greetingsearthling:

Like the name....have seen numerous Boston Blackie programs on old tv programming and it is nice.

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2fuk01ab said:
BostonBlackie":2fuk01ab said:
LolaRox":2fuk01ab said:

Thanks BostonBlackie...And welcome to the site. :greetingsearthling:

Like the name....have seen numerous Boston Blackie programs on old tv programming and it is nice.

Appreciate the welcome. I enjoy reading this site, and if I wasn't a Patriots fan I'd be a Seahawk fan. Yours is the only other team I like watching.