Did we see history last night?

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
It occurred to me last night that we may have witnessed history by seeing the Panthers' 3rd, then 2nd, then 1st string QB handle the ball in their first three plays, in that order. Joe Webb returned the opening kickoff (3rd QB), Anderson took opening snap on next play (2nd QB), and Cam took the next offensive snap (1st QB).

Has anyone else thought of this, or wondered if it has ever occurred in the history of the NFL?

Cartire

Reaction score
Tweet Sando.

He loves this stuff and will probably find out for you.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Good point. How many backup QBs have even handled kickoff-return duties? Wouldn't surprise me if Webb is the first.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Great point. I'll bet everything I've got it has never happened before, at least in the era of the forward pass.

Feel pretty confident in this b/c from 1991-2011 the third QB rule meant that #3 QBs weren't in games at all unless the first two went down, and that rule was put in place because before that people weren't dressing their third QBs because they practically never used them and it was a waste of an active spot.

Basically, if we limit ourselves to the era of the forward pass we can almost automatically exclude everything before 2011.

So post 2011 we'd need to find: 1) a #3 QB who was the primary kick returner, 2) a #2 QB who played the first offensive play but not the second, and 3) a #1 QB who then entered the game.

I can't think of #1, and the only scenarios for #2 are a #1 QB who is injured enough to be the backup but not to start and the #2 gets injured on the first play of the game or the high school silliness Rivera engaged in yesterday.

Maybe there's another #3 QB/KR I can't think of, and maybe that injury scenario and high school silliness happened too, but both of them together, no friggin way.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Any of you ever see Joe Webb play QB?He cannot do much more than read option type plays and Wildcat ..I don't really consider him to be a real QB

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
IndyHawk":4a6v2b1i said:
Any of you ever see Joe Webb play QB?He cannot do much more than read option type plays and Wildcat ..I don't really consider him to be a real QB

I remember when he had to play for Christin Ponder in a playoff game. No one even knew (TV and audience) Ponder was hurt until the game started.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":1ltutezl said:
My point about this being where threads go to die has now been proven to be true. Thanks.
I apologize that was far from my intent..I mean your right that his is listed as a QB and all.I could have done my response about him differently