More appealing job: JAX or LA?

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
With the way their rosters are currently constructed which job is more appealing: JAX or LA?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Jacksonville, for sure. They have a first round pick this century, unlike the Rams.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd say the Rams. They both have huge questions at QB, but at least Goff just looks terrible for a rookie, rather than still looking awful after three years in the league like Bortles.

LA is traditionally a much better location for recruiting free agents too. Missing that first round pick next year sucks, but I think everything together, I'd still rather have the Rams job.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Rams will be the more intriguing job because they will have the new stadium and play in a much bigger market. Jags have the better roster and talent though.

getnasty

Reaction score
Jags have way better talent and more cap room, plus the expectations are pretty low there so I'd say Acksonville

mikeak

Reaction score
7 of the Jacksonville loses are by 5 points or less (2 are by 1 point......)

Only 5 are by more than 7 points

So despite being a 2 team win this season could have played out very differently for them

Meanwhile the Rams are without the draft picks and without a starting QB. In addition being mediocre in Jacksonville will be a good start

In a way Jacksonville reminds me a bit of Miami last year. Good team, underperforming, coach gets fired and the right coach can come in there and win 7+ games and look like a superstar

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The Jaguars won’t be able to talk to any coaches currently employed by NFL teams until the season comes to an end, but one candidate for the job isn’t bound by those restrictions.

Former Jaguars and Giants coach Tom Coughlin is now working for the league office, but the possibility of a return to Jacksonville has been bandied about at points this year in relation to Bradley’s expected departure. During a press conference on Monday, Jaguars General Manager David Caldwell said that the team is interested in talking to Coughlin.

It’s not known if Coughlin shares that interest, but he has said he’s interested in coaching since parting ways with the Giants in January. Caldwell also said interim head coach Doug Marrone will be a candidate and that he’s received “numerous phone calls” about the job since dispatching Bradley after Sunday’s loss to the Texans.

“I think it’s going to be an attractive job,” Caldwell said, via Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times Union.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ootball%5D

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'd say it's a toss up, from a pure football standpoint

I'd also say that your preferred lifestyle should be the deciding factor, assuming a guy had been offered both jobs.

I'd rather live/work in Fl. and I'd do so for a much lower salary.

Maybe a strange way to look at it but other than an occasional visit, I dislike Ca., and don't think I could be happy living in SoCal.

RedAlice

Reaction score
pmedic920":3penqsnf said:
I'd say it's a toss up, from a pure football standpoint

I'd also say that your preferred lifestyle should be the deciding factor, assuming a guy had been offered both jobs.

I'd rather live/work in Fl. and I'd do so for a much lower salary.

Maybe a strange way to look at it but other than an occasional visit, I dislike Ca., and don't think I could be happy living in SoCal.

I feel exactly the opposite!!!

SoCal is a super happy place to live. You couldn't pay me enough to live Florida.

For the coaches though, Rams will come with more headlines and along with that a much higher level of scrutiny. Jags will give a bit of less notice while getting the team up to winning.

I hope the Jags get a good coach and start to rock it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RedAlice":h82n630g said:
I feel exactly the opposite!!!

SoCal is a super happy place to live. You couldn't pay me enough to live Florida.
Whoa, whoa, whoa; there's a HUGE difference between Jacksonville and Miami.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Maulbert":qgpdefv2 said:
Well, I will say at least you know Shad Khan will give his coach every chance to succeed. Most coaches would have been fired after Gus's 2nd year.

Absolutely. A very rare situation to have these days. Probably leading (eventually) to a more stable franchise instead of some of the more knee-jerk operations around the league.

Largent80

Reaction score
Rams are getting new digs, although the San Andreas will probably swallow it.

BTW I was born and raised in SoCal. Although the place was awesome to live in in the 50's-70's it certainly is NOT now.

Way more people, I mean WAY more. It sucks actually. The cost of living is ridiculous and what you get are monumental traffic problems and a LOT of assholes.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JACKSONVILLE. Owner doesn't meddle and gives regime time. If you and Caldwell don't clash, it's a GREAT opportunity. Roster that's better than it performs. Young QB who showed promise but regressed, good chance he could rebound. Low expectations, incoming high high draft picks. Go to Jacksonville, bring them an 8-8, enjoy 3 years of job security.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2m2ruqoi said:
Rams will be the more intriguing job because they will have the new stadium and play in a much bigger market. Jags have the better roster and talent though.

I'd go with this. New stadium, probably better owner, bigger spotlight city. LA is definitely better than Jacksonville.

Rat

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":qgggmlgr said:
JACKSONVILLE. Owner doesn't meddle and gives regime time.

I don't think it can be said that the Rams didn't give Fisher enough time.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rat":2ir1nc5m said:
Maelstrom787":2ir1nc5m said:
JACKSONVILLE. Owner doesn't meddle and gives regime time.

I don't think it can be said that the Rams didn't give Fisher enough time.

Yeah, if not meddling and time are your two reasons - um? Kroenke is both. Fisher had 5 years of losing making $7m a year and Kroenke never meddled. I think he pretty much just wants to hand it over - though, wins are expected now.

But wins should be expected.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Largent80":plcin8wn said:

BTW I was born and raised in SoCal. Although the place was awesome to live in in the 50's-70's it certainly is NOT now.

Way more people, I mean WAY more. It sucks actually. The cost of living is ridiculous and what you get are monumental traffic problems and a LOT of assholes.

It certainly IS STILL NOW A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE.

There are more assholes in many other states as far as I've seen. SoCal is awesome.

rjdriver

Reaction score
RedAlice":338g5cnw said:
Largent80":338g5cnw said:

There are more assholes in many other states as far as I've seen. SoCal is awesome.

The 405 at about 5:00 is anything but awesome. That being said, I work in LA and think it's a pretty cool city. I agree with Rob that the cost of living is out of control, especially to live in a desirable location. That being said, the average NFL coach makes more than 4.5 million annually, which mitigates that issue substantially. There is no doubt that you will spend less and keep more of your money in Florida, which for someone making that much, would be a heck of a lot.

I really think there are valid arguments for both jobs being more desirable than the other, no clear cut winner.

Largent80

Reaction score
rjdriver":puie3ulv said:
RedAlice":puie3ulv said:
Largent80":puie3ulv said:

The 405 at about 5:00 is anything but awesome. That being said, I work in LA and think it's a pretty cool city. I agree with Rob that the cost of living is out of control, especially to live in a desirable location. That being said, the average NFL coach makes more than 4.5 million annually, which mitigates that issue substantially. There is no doubt that you will spend less and keep more of your money in Florida, which for someone making that much, would be a heck of a lot.

I really think there are valid arguments for both jobs being more desirable than the other, no clear cut winner.

I lived on the West side (Culver City) so I think I know how awesome it is.

Actually Escondido is the place I lived at for 4 years and it blows any areas around L.A. clean out of the water. If you like constant gridlock though, L.A. is the place to be.