How good is the NY Football Giants defense this year?

NINEster

Reaction score
I haven't had a good chance to watch them in depth this year, just some highlights.

Giants' fans obviously are proclaiming themselves best defense this year, and two wins against Cowboys gives them some ammo clearly.

What say you, fans of Seattle and fellow NFC Westers?

The impression I'm getting is very solid run defense and pass coverage, but no elite pass rush or LB play. Just my hunches based on what I know of their personnel traditionally.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
More so than the defense is the way the offense is playing. Their run game is below average but Eli has been streaky good and if there is one team I do not want to play in the playoffs, it's the Giants. OBJ gave Sherman fits as a rookie and now has 2 years under his belt. Sterling Shepard would kill Jeremy Lane over the middle. And Eli has had just enough time to throw the ball. It would be a shootout and I don't think our OLine can protect enough to allow us to score points.

KimboBlubbeus

Reaction score
ludakrishna":3439qv74 said:
More so than the defense is the way the offense is playing. Their run game is below average but Eli has been streaky good and if there is one team I do not want to play in the playoffs, it's the Giants. OBJ gave Sherman fits as a rookie and now has 2 years under his belt. Sterling Shepard would kill Jeremy Lane over the middle. And Eli has had just enough time to throw the ball. It would be a shootout and I don't think our OLine can protect enough to allow us to score points.

If anybody knows how the Giants operate in the Eli Manning era, then they would know that the Giants are the last team they'd want to face. They can be garbage for 3 or 4 years and then, seemingly with the exact same personnel, get red hot in December and go on to knock off all the elite teams on the way to winning the SuperBowl. Heck, this season they're the only reason the Cowboys aren't 14-0.

In 2007, they prevented history by beating the 18-0 Patriots and they also knocked off both Dallas/Green Bay on the road who were both 13-3.

In 2011, they beat the 15-1 Packers on the road who looked like one of the best teams off all time the way they were playing that season and then New England again in the SuperBowl.

Maulbert

Reaction score
KimboBlubbeus":31k7mf4s said:
In 2011, they beat the 15-1 Packers on the road who looked like one of the best teams off all time the way they were playing that season and then New England again in the SuperBowl.

That Packers defense was garbage. They were 32nd in yards allowed and gave up 22 points a game.