This guy thinks the Broncos will let Russell Okung walk

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
http://overthecap.com/2017-potential-nf ... ve-tackle/

Denver can pick up an option to retain Okung for $11.5 million next year, but this guy doesn't think Okung has played well enough to merit keeping him. Thoughts?

And with how spectacularly bad George Fant has been, if Denver does let Okung walk, does Seattle take a chance on him again? Bash him all you want, but check STATS, Inc. before you do. Fant has generated both more penalties, more penalty yards, and more sacks of Russell Wilson in nine starts than Okung ever has in a single season. Okung also barely missed a snap with Denver.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/play ... 15&team=26

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/play ... 981&team=7

2_0_6

Reaction score
I was all for letting Okung walk in the offseason, with the hope of either Gilliam, a FA, or a good draft pick to slide in his void.

Well it seems like all 3 options have pretty much whiffed. If he would come back at a fair deal I would take him back with open arms. :irishdrinkers:

rcaido

Reaction score
Seahawks should take him back only if he is his own agent again...

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I would take him back on a reasonable deal. And I don't want to bash Fant, because he doesn't deserve bashing, he's been rushed into an impossible situation...but I believe that a guy like Okung, someone who is a fairly stable presence, would make the entire left side more stable...Glowinski would immediately be more confident and be able to focus.

I'd love this. However, our coaching staff sometimes seems too stubborn in their current set-up to admit fault or even that something is broken. My guess is, they'll stick with Fant, pick up a low-level FA and draft an OT by round 4 for competition.

getnasty

Reaction score
Where's the money coming from? Fant isn't the guy that worries me down the road it's right tackle that worries me. Not sure why I'm a believer in Fant though? I wouldn't have a problem signing him on the cheap and moving Fant to right tackle I guess.

Erebus

Reaction score
Last offseason I made a post about how it would be a mistake to keep Okung. That was based on how well the offense played with him and without him (there wasn't a difference) and his expected price tag. However, seeing how the offense has played this year without him, my post was obviously wrong. They need a stable presence at left tackle. I'd take him back at a reasonable deal (less than $7M per year).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RockinHawks":3r38cyjj said:
I would take him back on a reasonable deal. And I don't want to bash Fant, because he doesn't deserve bashing, he's been rushed into an impossible situation...but I believe that a guy like Okung, someone who is a fairly stable presence, would make the entire left side more stable...Glowinski would immediately be more confident and be able to focus.

I'd love this. However, our coaching staff sometimes seems too stubborn in their current set-up to admit fault or even that something is broken. My guess is, they'll stick with Fant, pick up a low-level FA and draft an OT by round 4 for competition.
Fant is very green right now but I can see he is learning and is going to get much better..I would give him another couple of seasons for sure..As for Okung I'm on the fence with that.I don't like that he bolted for lower money.I do think we need to get a FA OL..Draft 2 more and pray that next year will see the payoff from the last couple

el capitan

Reaction score
I'd be happy to see him back on this team. The line is complete garbage and he would be an instant upgrade.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3adzam06 said:
RockinHawks":3adzam06 said:

Fant is very green right now but I can see he is learning and is going to get much better...

He was responsible for three of the Cardinals' sacks on Wilson last week. He's the worst man on that line. He's just getting excused because we favor UDFA's more than regular free agents for some reason.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If you have the money to spend on Okung, you might as well dish out a 1st and get the fine Browns Tackle.. of course that might be to late now. If they go for a qb, they will probably want a LT to protect him.

HawkGA

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ghxdwcgx said:
IndyHawk":ghxdwcgx said:
RockinHawks":ghxdwcgx said:

Fant is very green right now but I can see he is learning and is going to get much better...

He was responsible for three of the Cardinals' sacks on Wilson last week. He's the worst man on that line. He's just getting excused because we favor UDFA's more than regular free agents for some reason.

There's a gif over on the main board where Fant is literally the only person to actually block somebody.

HawkGA

Reaction score
My preference would be for the Broncos to keep him and the Hawks get the comp pick for him.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkGA":1msoi2h9 said:
MontanaHawk05":1msoi2h9 said:
IndyHawk":1msoi2h9 said:
RockinHawks":1msoi2h9 said:

There's a gif over on the main board where Fant is literally the only person to actually block somebody.

One play, perhaps. I know what the stats are telling me and I knew what the tape was telling me last week. Fant needs either immediate improvement or immediate replacement.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
getnasty":87p8dbj2 said:
Where's the money coming from? Fant isn't the guy that worries me down the road it's right tackle that worries me. Not sure why I'm a believer in Fant though? I wouldn't have a problem signing him on the cheap and moving Fant to right tackle I guess.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikin ... exibility/

They have the 6th best cap flexibility next season and 31M of cap room as it stands now. They can be aggressive in FA again if they feel like it.

Rat

Reaction score
HawkGA":3ffcgsxa said:
My preference would be for the Broncos to keep him and the Hawks get the comp pick for him.

I'm pretty sure we get a comp pick regardless.

Rat

Reaction score
rcaido":ep8bmhxf said:
Seahawks should take him back only if he is his own agent again...

Lol, I was just about to post this same thing. Probably says a lot about him that he negotiated such an awful deal and the Broncos might still move on.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":34x7pnfv said:
IndyHawk":34x7pnfv said:
RockinHawks":34x7pnfv said:

^^^ this.

The wishcasting around the athletic OL projects is palpable. Fant has been just awful this season. And even if he were okay why would we expect him to progress in a linear fashion? Has glowinski? Gilliam? We can't make the mistake of thinking the LT is set like we did last year with RT or we will wind up with the same results.
I thought they should have retained Okung to avoid going into the season with brand new unproven starters everywhere on the line since that is a recipe for early season atrocious play at a minimum. I wouldn't mind seeing him back now either.
I feel our line could be good enough with 2 or 3 proven players and then the projects are anchored to something. The last two years the projects outnumber the non-projects.
Wouldn't necessarily want Okung on anything like a long term deal but one year would be fine.