The Hail Mary

Optimus25

Reaction score
So with no time left on the clock, no timeouts for Green Bay, and sitting just past mid field, why the hell wouldn't you just line up six at the five yard line and rush five?. I just don't understand some teams and their complete failure to logically defend this. Rushing four is going to give Rodgers time, which is the first thing you don't want. Then you actually have line backers lined up in their normal alignment, leaving them to back pedal with the receivers, but why?. A completion over the short middle would be perfectly manageable considering your excellent tackling. I'm just at a complete loss and if I were a Giants fan I'd probably have broken my tv at that point. Especially since NY had time outs to setup hail Mary defense. I'd even contemplate blitzing a corner and making my deep five defend the goal, anything but just letting them comfortably set up the throw.

Rat

Reaction score
It feels like 90% of successful Hail Marys somehow involve Green Bay. The ones where the ball gets tipped around and ends up in a receivers hands are sometimes just bad luck, but that one to end the first half today was absolutely inexcusable. I don't know what the heck Apple and Collins were doing. Those aren't scrub players either, they're great DBs who just both completely screwed up at the same time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It baffles me why teams only rush 3 or 4, pressure the QB, don't let him step into the throw and the half/game is over.

NINEster

Reaction score
This is all logical defensive strategy but Rodgers did manage to get a hail mary TD against the Cardinals in the playoffs who blitzed him.

And also that 4th down conversion earlier in that drive deep in his own end zone.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Sky sports guys made a good point saying that it was madness that ny didnt call a timeout and get their big guys on. Was a good spot i thought.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
I think we all just have to come to terms with the fact that Rodgers is the best. He just is. Sorry Brady, etc.

Including yesterday he's at 44 touchdowns, 7 INTs, 4790 yards. He's just that good.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
NINEster":2p2a5mgl said:
This is all logical defensive strategy but Rodgers did manage to get a hail mary TD against the Cardinals in the playoffs who blitzed him.

And also that 4th down conversion earlier in that drive deep in his own end zone.

I have two points to make about this.

1. The blitz did disrupt the play and the ONLY reason it's a completion is that the right defensive end is literally tackled, allowing Rodgers to break outside contain just long enough to heave it. Since its the packers i guess you have to expect a no call, but a great coach would massage the refs during a time out and tell them holding is holding. I mean this end gets literally grabbed and thrown down WWE style.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjE1B6VcZE

2. As i mention in OP, the blitz should come from corners disguised as press coverage on the outside. The cards did a pretty nice blitz themselves, but it was backers speed rushing straight down the middle. All it takes in this scenario is for contain to get lost and there's the time Rodgers needs. But put a speedy defender rushing from that outside mixed with a blitzing backer, and you got six at the line with five deep.

Edit. Also, what is the point of the defenders, DBs, playing like ten yards off and back peddling with the receivers?. If they catch a medium range pass all the deep defenders can converge. I still say three defenders at the five and two in the end zone would stop anything. You have to be putting those defenders at a disadvantage right off the bat having them back peddling and then turning like that.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
there was 6 seconds I think. Which is plenty of time for a throw outside to gain 10 yards which would put them in field goal range....thats the answer why you don't just have everyone sit on the goal line.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Don't underestimate Cobbs strength..even that slight pushoff wont get called but created enough separation. Rodgers threw an unbelievable pass yet again with a perfect trajectory. Because they rely so much on passing, I bet they work on hail mary plays and the scramble plays more than anyone including the Seahawks.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3iaaugjb said:
Sky sports guys made a good point saying that it was madness that ny didnt call a timeout and get their big guys on. Was a good spot i thought.
Yea. Horrible coaching. Everyone knew the Hail Mary was coming and Rodgers was in range. Use a time out...Get your best corners along with your best WR/hands guy. Send more speed rushers after Rodgers.