pmedic920

Reaction score
Looks like it may be a "done deal"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/san-di ... 2017-01-11
Being seen on multiple sources.
1c5b70c582f268cbd05489c975e25a49.png

Foghawk

Reaction score
I don't like this move, I think the NFL is better off as a whole if they remain in SD. Chargers will always be the red headed step-child in LA.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maybe I'm an insensitive jerk face but I don't think this is a huge deal. 120 miles, that's less than Seattle to Portland.
Chargers fans should still be able to watch their team on TV. I can see how it would be a PITA if you had season tix to every game, but most fans don't have season tix.

chris98251

Reaction score
So one team moves a bit North and another a bit farther South. I think the Chargers are going to be a pain in the ass for the Rams to cohabitate with.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Pointless move. I think the Chargers are only doing this for two reasons; 1) They think the move will "rejuvenate" the fan base and franchise. 2) It's the cool thing to do at the moment.

In ten years they'll be back in San Diego when they realize how stupid they look with them and the Rams in the same city.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
They should just combine the two teams. Call them the LA Chramps and be done with it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Congrats Chargers for becoming the NFL version of the Clippers.

Spanos is one of the worst owners in sports.

Largent80

Reaction score
I hate this. San Diego has supported that team for many years and there is no market for 2 teams in L.A.

I should know, I lived there.

This is terrible.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
They will be playing at the Stubhub Center next year...really? A 27,000 stadium. Never thought i'd see the day an NFL team would be subtenant to a MLS team.

There argument is that it's closer to Orange County/San Diego. Why not just play in San Diego till the new stadium is built? Crowds will suck but surely more than the 27,000 at StubHub Center. This is dumb.

The Rams have hardly been a roaring success in LA so far, whats to think a second team would.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I live in Orange County right now. There are a few things to discuss:

1) Most of the LA natives are not into professional football. It isn't like Seattle, Chicago, etc. You never get the same vibe here.

2) People that do love the NFL here.. moved from other cities, and they are still supporting their old teams.

3) Before the Rams moved here, I used to be able to watch all the good matchups on local channels and that made the ratings better than what the numbers show for this year. No one wants to watch the Rams (yet).

4) Sunday Ticket subscriptions might go up but I am not sure if the TV ratings are going up.

5) Things might change if the teams improve but then again it's LA. There's plenty of other things to do here since there's always something going on. if you're not doing well as a sports franchise, people are too quick to get up & go to the beach or something. In other cities, plenty of people watch their teams play on TV even when they are not good.

We will see how chargers are going to fit in with the Rams. LA is a weird city for football even though it's the second biggest TV market in the country.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I'm up in Irvine quite a bit for work, and everytime I ask around, no one really seems to care that the Rams are back to LA - in fact lots of them barely realize it and don't even know they suck so bad. As you said, seems like a big non-issue and everyone likes the team they already have (where they are from, or who they have liked for years).

I noticed this at the games as well, most of the opposing team fans were actually from LA - just fans of the other team.

I think Chargers are stupid for this move, but it's a greed move (same as was Kroenke's). They will likely market harder in Orange County since that is closer to San Diego, and they claim 25% of their fan base is already from the OC.

They will also probably be fine with selling tickets to the opposing fans, hey, they will now most certainly be hosting a HOME RAIDER game once a year!

Some die-hard Charger fans will keep up a main base, but even with the further distant move - I think the Rams had a larger die-hard fan base to start with this year since we were already in LA. A lot of the Charger fan base are the pissed off SD fans, Kroenke didn't need to rely on the StL base in LA.

RedAlice

Reaction score
btw, there is still a tiny sliver of hope for San Diego fans that this is all a last ditch effort to see if the NFL or Kroenke will contribute any more money.

I don't think he's bluffing, but I do kinda still think his first choice is San Diego if he was given more $$$ for the stadium.

By going with Los Angeles Chargers and a logo that heavily resembles the Los Angeles Dodgers though, he is kinda blatantly sticking it to San Diego.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3240cym9 said:
Pointless move. I think the Chargers are only doing this for two reasons; 1) They think the move will "rejuvenate" the fan base and franchise. 2) It's the cool thing to do at the moment.

In ten years they'll be back in San Diego when they realize how stupid they look with them and the Rams in the same city.
The organization is owned and operated by a slum lord. Dean Spanos wants a new modern stadium but he doesn't want to fork over a dime of his own money for it. Spanos gave an ultimatum.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Chargers new logo looks pretty close to the LA Dodgers. Well, the logo they put on their twitter account anyway, who knows what their actual plan is. They are also using the same colors Rams have been using in LA.

Attachments

• Logos .png
    Logos .png
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,107

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RedAlice":alwrndhb said:
They will also probably be fine with selling tickets to the opposing fans, hey, they will now most certainly be hosting a HOME RAIDER game once a year!

I've seen this said quite a few times on Twitter, that the locals in LA, the natives who are into the NFL are Raider fans. That the Raiders still own LA. Is this true?

RedAlice

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":24bzc79i said:
RedAlice":24bzc79i said:

I've seen this said quite a few times on Twitter, that the locals in LA, the natives who are into the NFL are Raider fans. That the Raiders still own LA. Is this true?

There at still many native LA Rams fans (as evidenced by the quick ticket sell out), so own may be too strong, - but there are tons of Raider fans in LA. In fact, it was noteworthy that the NFL declared the Raiders the main TV market for LA this year, even with the Rams back.

LA is mostly transplants, so there are so many different team's fans that no one team owns the market right now - Rams certainly didn't take it over this year.

Rams fans and Raider fans don't hate each other, so I haven't seen much of an issue with it. However, Raider fans and Charger fans loathe each other as much as any two teams in the NFL. Raiders @Chargers is a violent game in SD, it's going to be even worse in LA and probably 95% Raider fans.

For the Rams, it's better that the Chargers are moving to LA and not the Raiders. If the Raiders moved back, with them playing so well - they would be the most popular LA team.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
RedAlice":7a73i7e7 said:
Chargers new logo looks pretty close to the LA Dodgers. Well, the logo they put on their twitter account anyway, who knows what their actual plan is. They are also using the same colors Rams have been using in LA.

According to NFL Live, this is NOT a logo. It is simply some type of marketing thing. Supposedly, the logo has not been decided upon.

RedAlice

Reaction score
WmHBonney":39l9mt79 said:
RedAlice":39l9mt79 said:

According to NFL Live, this is NOT a logo. It is simply some type of marketing thing. Supposedly, the logo has not been decided upon.

It's what they are using officially on their social media accounts, so it's publicly being used as a logo (NFL approved or not) - it's pissing off San Diego fans, who are upset they are using LA Chargers and who as Padre fans also HATE the Dodgers.

So, it's being used on purpose. Pretty much a "shove it" to San Diego.