Atlanta the most balanced NFC team ?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Nothing needs to be said about their offense. Probably the best in the NFL (how did they afford picking up Sanu and Mack in the offseason?). Their defense is really good too. Probably only the Pats have a similar quality on both sides of the ball.

KimboBlubbeus

Reaction score
As a Dallas fan, they are definitely a scary team that nobody is really talking about. Even before today's game, their offense has looked explosive all season.

-Only 5 times this season + postseason have they been held under thirty

-Only once have they been held below 20 points (Philadelphia)

We will have our hands full with Green Bay but if we get through that one, it's going to be a track meet the week after. Atlanta's defense has been great against inferior offenses but they haven't really been able to stop a decent offense until today so I think it's going to be a "last score wins" type of game next week regardless if it's GB or Dallas.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KimboBlubbeus":33o6hycf said:
As a Dallas fan, they are definitely a scary team that nobody is really talking about. Even before today's game, their offense has looked explosive all season.

We will have our hands full with Green Bay but if we get through that one, it's going to be a track meet the week after. Atlanta's defense has been great against inferior offenses but they haven't really been able to stop a decent offense until today so I think it's going to be a "last score wins" type of game next week regardless if it's GB or Dallas.
I think Erin is going to shred that Cowboys defense this time around, he is rolling right now. GB just can't get into a big hole early.

KimboBlubbeus

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ujotvyk said:
I think Erin is going to shred that Cowboys defense this time around, he is rolling right now. GB just can't get into a big hole early.

There's little doubt he will surpass 350 yards pretty easily. The big question is which team will get it done in the redzone which gives me some optimism since I'd still favor the team with the strong running game to get TDs over a one-dimensional offense with some key injuries (despite the QB playing at an elite level). If the Cowboys are going to come away victorious, that's what it will take ala the Redskins game on Thanksgiving where they went up and down the field but weren't able to do anything at the goal line without the threat of a running game.

Let Rodgers move up and down the field (he will do so anyway) but crowd the field and keep him out of the end zone.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Dom Capers is gonna scheme some turnovers out of th rookie Prescott... which is why Romo should have gotten his starting job back.

RedAlice

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":kx2559oc said:
Dom Capers is gonna scheme some turnovers out of th rookie Prescott... which is why Romo should have gotten his starting job back.

Just like Romeo Crennel today against a very not rookie QB.

Romo doesn't deserve the start.

ptisme

Reaction score
KimboBlubbeus":3grhbba2 said:

It's going to be a track meet today.

ringless

Reaction score
Romo didnt do anything to get his job back, and quite frankly he can't stay on the field. Romo needs to retire. He is not healthy, he will never be healthy again. Any team that might get him if he is traded will be very sorry.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I think Atl is the team to beat right now and their D is just good enough to win it all. Beasley provides a pass rushing presence and they stop the run adequately. Because of their great O who can sustain long drives, their D is never tired either.

GB is rolling but I see Atl winning in the Georgia Dome finale.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They don't have a defense. I think Dallas would run all over them if they played. Elliot could probably go for 200 yards on them.

Most complete team left is either KC or NE. Both are very balanced. Dallas is pretty complete too, but I'm still not sold on their defense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ringless":1637z8bl said:
Romo didnt do anything to get his job back, and quite frankly he can't stay on the field. Romo needs to retire. He is not healthy, he will never be healthy again. Any team that might get him if he is traded will be very sorry.
He will not get traded with that cap number. No one will pick up a washed up QB at 24.5 million.

Tippyd

Reaction score
Romo Will Redo his contract prior to signing with another team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tippyd":2vlhgbn6 said:
Romo Will Redo his contract prior to signing with another team.
Not sure he can do that, and or would want to. I'm pretty sure he is getting cut.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Matt Ryan is playing out of his mind. In fact I haven't seen QB play this good in a very long while. If you pay attention, he's throwing the ball WAY early, with pressure in his face, which means his anticipation and ability to read the defense right now are off the charts. This is like Manning level anticipation, but without Manning's arm strength deficiency. You all saw it yourself: the Seahawks were getting to him, but he was throwing the ball so early and so accurately that nothing could be done. How is he throwing so many absolute dimes WAY before he was supposed to according to the play design? That is Master level quarterbacking.

The upside is Atlanta will not be stopped by anyone if this continues.

The downside is if Matt Ryan has a bad game the Falcons are thoroughly screwed, because his outstanding play right now is carrying the team.

Dude should be the MVP, no question.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
KimboBlubbeus":uggh2i0q said:

But yet the media continues to slobber all over Rodgers and the Packers for the hot streak Rodgers is on.

Does anyone realize Ryan is on the same hot streak? You wouldn't know it by how the Packers are plastered all over the front page.

It's ok though...we've been under the radar all year.

5_Golden_Rings":uggh2i0q said:
Matt Ryan is playing out of his mind. In fact I haven't seen QB play this good in a very long while. If you pay attention, he's throwing the ball WAY early, with pressure in his face, which means his anticipation and ability to read the defense right now are off the charts. This is like Manning level anticipation, but without Manning's arm strength deficiency. You all saw it yourself: the Seahawks were getting to him, but he was throwing the ball so early and so accurately that nothing could be done. How is he throwing so many absolute dimes WAY before he was supposed to according to the play design? That is Master level quarterbacking.

The upside is Atlanta will not be stopped by anyone if this continues.

The downside is if Matt Ryan has a bad game the Falcons are thoroughly screwed, because his outstanding play right now is carrying the team.

Dude should be the MVP, no question.

Ryan should be MVP because he's carried this team with his play the entire season.

He didn't miss 4 games like Brady.

He didn't show up for the last half of the season like Rodgers.

I can't wait for this game Sunday. Ryan vs Green Bay's 31st ranked pass defense. Our improved D vs Rodgers. Our receivers. Our run game. We are better in so many areas. There's no reason for me not to be confident.

I don't expect Rodgers to be shut down. I do expect him to be contained and Atlanta to get the W.

Go Falcons!

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Do you think losing Shanny next year will change that? Or will he take Ryan to the 9ers?

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
To go back on what I was saying about the hot streaks...

Last 5 games:

» Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: 1,617 passing yards, 66.49 completion percentage, 14:1 TD-to-INT ratio and 115.0 passer rating.

» Falcons QB Matt Ryan: 1,469 passing yards, 73.25 completion percentage, 14:0 TD-to-INT ratio and 131.8 passer rating.

But yet the media is humping Rodgers leg like no tomorrow despite the fact Ryan is just as hot as Rodgers has been. As said Atlanta is better in so many areas and not nearly as banged up as GB... I like our chances in the last game at the Georgia Dome.

Sox-n-Hawks":44olaq0e said:
Do you think losing Shanny next year will change that? Or will he take Ryan to the 9ers?

Heh... Ryan definitely won't be leaving Atlanta. I hope we don't lose KS... that job in SF is meh... horrible ownership... horrible roster... IMHO he's better off staying in Atlanta and waiting for another job next year.

If he leaves... it's next man up for OC. Either way, I don't see Atlanta's offense falling off the face of the earth.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2e37cjvl said:
Their defense is really good too.

Props to Quinn.

Not surprisingly, the Falcons defense as a whole has gotten better as the season progressed. Much better, in fact. After allowing 28.3 points a game in the 10 outings before their bye, they’ve given up 20.4 points an outing since. Their total takeaways are up from 11 to 13 and their passer rating allowed has gone from nearly 101 to under 78.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/18/falc ... ta-defense

Here's to hoping they continue to get better... all the way to Houston.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Here's the problem with Atlanta...

I've re-watched several of their games, and here is what I've concluded:

Right now Matt Ryan is playing some of the best football I've ever seen out of a quarterback. He is throwing passes WAY too early because of pressure (based on the routes), but his vision, anticipation, and accuracy is so good that the balls are getting to the target perfectly on time and on the money. He's throwing way before the WR looks for the ball with perfect timing, despite having defenders in his face, as a way to compensate for that pressure. It is remarkable to watch.

But this is a problem, you see. Matt Ryan is playing out of his mind, and this is the only reason the Falcons are so good right now. If Matt Ryan has a mediocre game, the Falcons are going to lose. He is carrying this team on his back right now. Yes, Julio, etc etc. But Ryan is throwing dimes with Peyton Manning like anticipation, but without the arm strength handicap. He is bailing out the team, and if he can't continue to carry the load, they are going to be roasted bird.

He is the MVP, and they need him to keep playing like it to win the Super Bowl.