Kyle Shanahan supposedly likely to be 49ers coach

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... head-coach

Of course as a 49er fan I must assume the worst, as we have been doing since George Seifert was a paranoid defensive coordinator.

link above":picgd37k said:
The 49ers have offered Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan their vacant head coaching job, and Shanahan is almost certain to agree, according to sources familiar with both parties' intentions. Because of NFL rules, the two sides cannot formally agree to a deal until after the Falcons' season is over, but barring an unforeseen change of heart on either side, Shanahan will eventually be signed to a multi-year contract.

Shanahan, according to sources, will get to help pick the 49ers' next general manager, with Green Bay Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst the leading candidate.

Again, I'll assume he'll decline, but should he choose to sign with them, I will be ecstatic. Say what you want about his lack of experience as a HC or his supposed personal issues with players or staff members, but in my opinion his scheme is and has been the best offense in football for more than 20 years (Just look at his dad's track record, and then his own, and even Kubiac and yes, Seattle, Minnesota and several other teams). More, I think he's probably among the best two or three play callers in the league right now.

So if he accepts I'll be pretty stoked. But the 49ers being owned by Jed, it will probably end up getting Yorked up.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1eu8rjep said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000775827/article/kyle-shanahan-expected-to-become-49ers-new-head-coach

Of course as a 49er fan I must assume the worst, as we have been doing since George Seifert was a paranoid defensive coordinator.

link above":1eu8rjep said:
The 49ers have offered Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan their vacant head coaching job, and Shanahan is almost certain to agree, according to sources familiar with both parties' intentions. Because of NFL rules, the two sides cannot formally agree to a deal until after the Falcons' season is over, but barring an unforeseen change of heart on either side, Shanahan will eventually be signed to a multi-year contract.

Shanahan, according to sources, will get to help pick the 49ers' next general manager, with Green Bay Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst the leading candidate.

Again, I'll assume he'll decline, but should he choose to sign with them, I will be ecstatic. Say what you want about his lack of experience as a HC or his supposed personal issues with players or staff members, but in my opinion his scheme is and has been the best offense in football for more than 20 years (Just look at his dad's track record, and then his own, and even Kubiac and yes, Seattle, Minnesota and several other teams). More, I think he's probably among the best two or three play callers in the league right now.

So if he accepts I'll be pretty stoked. But the 49ers being owned by Jed, it will probably end up getting Yorked up.
Your last sentence is why I don't fear this as an rival fan.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out why he would take that job and leave Atlanta. Outside of the obvious "it's a head coaching position" he has nothing in SF.

Horrible ownership
Horrible roster

Why?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
The money, the power and potential to be HC of a team that has seen great success in the past....

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3uqyfltd said:
The money, the power and potential to be HC of a team that has seen great success in the past....

Or stay in Atlanta and wait for a better job next year.

He'll most definitely be at the top of the coaching candidate tree next year... this Atlanta offense isn't going anywhere.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":388p6q1c said:
Sox-n-Hawks":388p6q1c said:

Or stay in Atlanta and wait for a better job next year.

He'll most definitely be at the top of the coaching candidate tree next year... this Atlanta offense isn't going anywhere.

Never know, could easily take a step back. Matt Ryan won't have the same season he had this year (sure it will be good, but MVP unlikely).

Shannahan has all of the leverage here. 49ers are putting all of the eggs in his basket. If The falcons happen to win the bowl, his value would likely never be higher. Bowl, number one offense, MVP qb. Time to cash in big time.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Yeah makes sense. ^

It's pretty much a given that he's gone... and hopefully with a Super Bowl championship on his resume.

Why not us?

:)

Marvin49

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":11gerh2t said:
I can't for the life of me figure out why he would take that job and leave Atlanta. Outside of the obvious "it's a head coaching position" he has nothing in SF.

Horrible ownership
Horrible roster

Why?

HC Job, money, blank slate, can pick his GM, father has history there (Mike Shanahan was the OC in SF before he became HC in Denver), top and plentiful (11) draft picks, and 80 to 100 million in cap space.

Essentially, he has a blank canvas to do whatever he wants. More appealing than you might think.

Not really all that difficult.

Marvin49

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":12b3gtph said:
Yeah makes sense. ^

It's pretty much a given that he's gone... and hopefully with a Super Bowl championship on his resume.

Why not us?

:)

To be honest, of the remaining teams I'd probably like to see Atlanta win it most even if it does mean a 2 week delay in the Niner HC announcement.

NINEster

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":qdelp19o said:

Horrible ownership
Horrible roster

Why?

The ownership at this moment is at its most vulnerable......any decent high profile coach (which Shanahan certainly is judging by the patience for his season to end to hire him) will dictate the terms in SF. York has said the coach/GM combo will a collaborative hire.....something very rare in this league. How many teams have done that that you know? Seahawks?

York may be a little POS entitled prick but I do think he genuinely cares for the Niners success, unlike say his parents. He lucked out with Harbaugh but he still hired him with competitors looming.

This hire if it goes through will be more impressive to me, just on the hiring basis. We'll judge the guy accordingly as time goes on.

It's pretty fashionable to just think things will forever be good (or bad) but nothing is permanent in life except change. If Dan Snyder could finally lay his hands off the Redskins and let Scot McCloughan do his thing (so far so good), then the very least could be expected of York. My Skins fan friends tell me Snyder has meddled far worse than York ever has and at least he shows up and takes his beatings in the media.

Now about the roster......call me a homer, but I think that the roster is far closer to being 7-8 win decent than the national media and fans think. We're still not yet into the 2017 offseason with free agency, trades, and the draft.......this is not Shanahan picking up with the week 17 roster. A #2 overall with that cap space and you can start to do things quickly.

So FalconFan while I'll root for your team to win it all this year (90% to keep NE/PITT/GB out of it, 10% for my small market/never won anything sympathy)......make no mistake about it.....allow me to REMIND YOU, fellow former NFC WESTer:

The San Francisco 49ers are a top 5 prestige NFL team in the Super Bowl era, and up until only about ten to fifteen years ago, it would be #1.

So when the Steelers, Packers, Patriots inevitably suck down the road and maybe get caught up with s**** ownership (remember, the 49ers had elite ownership once upon a time).....someone can ask the same exact question, and the answer will be the same.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":3qevzrku said:
FalconsFanNW":3qevzrku said:

Horrible ownership
Horrible roster

Why?

HC Job, money, blank slate, can pick his GM, father has history there (Mike Shanahan was the OC in SF before he became HC in Denver), top and plentiful (11) draft picks, and 80 to 100 million in cap space.

Essentially, he has a blank canvas to do whatever he wants. More appealing than you might think.

Not really all that difficult.

Besides Matt Ryan & Julio, what did Quinn see in the Falcons?

4-12, 6-10.....all this for merely losing the 2012 NFC Championship game?

Where were the numerous all pros lost on defense, and savvy vets on the offensive side of the ball?

Where was the turmoil in the front office?

Now they are on the cusp of winning it all.

Not exactly the same situation, but just having a great QB and WR.......*Chargers*.......isn't everything.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":1tynwfu1 said:
FalconsFanNW":1tynwfu1 said:

Horrible ownership
Horrible roster

Why?

The ownership at this moment is at its most vulnerable......any decent high profile coach (which Shanahan certainly is judging by the patience for his season to end to hire him) will dictate the terms in SF. York has said the coach/GM combo will a collaborative hire.....something very rare in this league. How many teams have done that that you know? Seahawks?

York may be a little POS entitled prick but I do think he genuinely cares for the Niners success, unlike say his parents. He lucked out with Harbaugh but he still hired him with competitors looming.

This hire if it goes through will be more impressive to me, just on the hiring basis. We'll judge the guy accordingly as time goes on.

It's pretty fashionable to just think things will forever be good (or bad) but nothing is permanent in life except change. If Dan Snyder could finally lay his hands off the Redskins and let Scot McCloughan do his thing (so far so good), then the very least could be expected of York. My Skins fan friends tell me Snyder has meddled far worse than York ever has and at least he shows up and takes his beatings in the media.

Now about the roster......call me a homer, but I think that the roster is far closer to being 7-8 win decent than the national media and fans think. We're still not yet into the 2017 offseason with free agency, trades, and the draft.......this is not Shanahan picking up with the week 17 roster. A #2 overall with that cap space and you can start to do things quickly.

So FalconFan while I'll root for your team to win it all this year (90% to keep NE/PITT/GB out of it, 10% for my small market/never won anything sympathy)......make no mistake about it.....allow me to REMIND YOU, fellow former NFC WESTer:

The San Francisco 49ers are a top 5 prestige NFL team in the Super Bowl era, and up until only about ten to fifteen years ago, it would be #1.

So when the Steelers, Packers, Patriots inevitably suck down the road and maybe get caught up with s**** ownership (remember, the 49ers had elite ownership once upon a time).....someone can ask the same exact question, and the answer will be the same.

I think there error York has made in hiring Singletary (his dad hired Nolan), Tomsula, and Chip is that he kept trying to bandage a gushing wound. In the last two cases he kept thinking he could get back to where they were and it just made things worse.

The only time he's reset completely was with Harbaugh and thats what this is to me. Thats not to say they'll be as good because we have no ides how Shanahan will perform as a HC, but this hire reminds me of that reset in 2011.

I agree with you on the talent.

There are some players there. There isn't enough to be a winner and they are lacking at a few key positions (namely QB, WR, OLB, ILB, NT) but there are some good young players on the roster (particularly at RB, DB, and O-Line).

I also agree about the prestige. I'm sure it drives people nuts to hear this, but its true. The history of the franchise in itself draws people to it.

BTW, the Packers owners will never "suck" as the city owns the team. :)

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
It's a done deal, NFL network just said Quinn congregated the team and announced Shanny will be headcoach of the 49ers. Met with congradulatory applause

Marvin49

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":v9pkya5t said:
Good posts 49er faithful.

:2thumbs:

P.S.

Quinn is the best thing that has ever happened to the Atlanta Falcons.

...and they waited for him just as SF is doing now for Shanahan. :D

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":nt59b168 said:

Horrible ownership
Horrible roster

Why?
Because of that situation. You see, due to that situation he will have nearly unprecedented control on how the team will be set up. He's a coach who is going to be the deciding factor on the GM. That rarely happens. He's got Jed York by the balls.

EDIT-lol others beat me to it.

But it's kind of ironic: we're it not for York's continuous screw ups, he wouldn't be forced to fellate Kyle Shanahan into taking the job. In other words, he's been forced to set his ego aside, something that comes very unnaturally to him.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The story is sounding remarkably like the 2008-2009 seasons for the Hawks. You remember, the seasons that ushered in the hiring of a coach who got to pick the GM from a list of four candidates.

I was secretly hoping that Bevell would get canned and we would lure Shanahan to take his spot, with the promise of a head coaching position when Carroll retires in 1-2 years.

Jville

Reaction score
It may not be possible to fire an owner. But, 49er fans can take heart in knowing that other owners have been forced to move down the learning curve as owners.

Seems to me that 49er faithful are forcing Jed work on his learning curve.

He certainly owes them that and more.

ivotuk

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":387x2g58 said:

Horrible ownership
Horrible roster

Why?

+1

When asked why Gus Bradley did so poorly, Pete Carroll said "He didn't wait for the right position.' Took over a crap team, with a crap FO, and no QB.

Dan Quinn accepted the HC for a good to great team, with an MVP caliber QB, and voila!

If Shanahan accepts SF job, he's going to look like shit for 3 years, then get fired. Where's his QB? Where's his defense? Nothing there.

Latest posts