Kyle Shanahan: Patriots defense the biggest challenge we've

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Belichick had nothing but praise for the Falcons in his presser yesterday and I think Shanahan is doing the same. Talking up the opponent like any smart coach would do.

Shanahan is right... NE only gave up 30 points once this year... the game they lost to Seattle. The rest of the games were played against subpar QBs with subpar offenses as listed in that other thread.

The reason some are discounting the Patriots' defensive statistics is due to a cavalcade of sub-par quarterbacks faced during the season. New England went against three top-10 offenses during the 2016 regular season -- Arizona, Pittsburgh and Buffalo (twice) -- allowing 19.5 PPG in those contests. Shanahan and the Falcons' offense faced three top-10 scoring defenses in the regular season, averaging 25 points per game, per ESPN. The Falcons' offense has been unstoppable this year, scoring 30-plus points in each of its last six games and averaging 40.0 PPG during the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -have-seen

As I said in the Super Bowl thread... New England played the easiest schedule of offenses this season. Atlanta played the 2nd toughest schedule of defenses... and did very well. Atlanta scored 30+ in 11 games this year... and won 10 of them. (33-30 loss to SD) Atlanta was held under 30 in 5 games... and only won 1 of them. (23-16 @ Denver, the #1 DVOA defense)

If the Pats gave up 19.5 PPG to Arizona, Pittsburgh and Buffalo (twice)... what do you think the Falcons will score? If they score 30+ I like our chances to win. If they don't, I don't.

One thing is for sure... I don't think New England wants to get into a track meet with the Falcons.

Rat

Reaction score
Just showing respect to an opponent. Many coaches do it. Even if it's not literally his biggest challenge of the year, it's a big challenge.

NINEster

Reaction score
The Patriots defense the last time they played in the Super Bowl was pretty impressive.

Without the horses to get to Wilson like say the Rams/Cardinals/49ers, he managed to stymie his passing game more effective than most teams except maybe Green Bay.

Even then Green Bay finds ways to pick Wilson, not so much shut down his passing.

Belichick's D just contained the hell out of Wilson save for the two hurry up drives at the end of each half.

Wilson had seemingly hours to throw on occasion and ultimately just scrambled for yards or threw it away.

Never underestimate Belichick's scheming abilities. His Super Bowl 25 game plan is in the Hall of Fame.

I would say the Patriots do more with less on defense compared to any other team in the league.

Another thing they do is scheme for opponents week to week. He will switch his fronts on a game by game basis.

1990 playoffs, 4-3 against Bears, 3-4 against 49ers, 2-5 against Bills.

This year alone he ran 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-3, 4-2-5 in almost equal amounts.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, it's frustrating to watch how much the Patriots vary it up like that while our offensive coordinator can't change a damn play to suit a weakness of an opponent to save his life.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
NINEster":39j7iuli said:
Never underestimate Belichick's scheming abilities. His Super Bowl 25 game plan is in the Hall of Fame.

I would say the Patriots do more with less on defense compared to any other team in the league.

Another thing they do is scheme for opponents week to week. He will switch his fronts on a game by game basis.

1990 playoffs, 4-3 against Bears, 3-4 against 49ers, 2-5 against Bills.

This year alone he ran 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-3, 4-2-5 in almost equal amounts.

Nobody here is underestimating Belichick. All I've said is the Patriots defense has played a schedule full of Landry Joneses and Tyrod Taylors on their way to the #1 scoring defense. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that... (see Rich Eisen video above)

What was that Rich said? Falcons have nearly a 70% winning percentage? Patriot opponents? 42%. Ryan's passing statistics tower above any QB the Pats played this season and the Falcons team as a whole is better than anyone they played. New England fans probably wouldn't agree but it's right there for the taking.

HIs presser was pretty good...

[youtube]riGvNh6y8Oo[/youtube]

The first 5 mins or so he talks about the Falcons explosiveness on offense and their team speed on defense. I wanna say he had a bit of fear in his tone but maybe that's just me. :)

I'm not worried at all. I think Atlanta scores 30+ and wins the game. If he shuts down the Falcons I guess I'll have to respond here with something like "Oh well, I guess I was wrong."

People forget... Atlanta has a Super Bowl winning coach as well and the best playing calling OC in the league. We'll be fine.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Of course there is also the factor of Super Bowl and post-season experience. New England has far more, which should make nerves much less a factor for them.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1t0b3b0z said:
Of course there is also the factor of Super Bowl and post-season experience. New England has far more, which should make nerves much less a factor for them.

We'll know by the end of the 1st qtr if it's a factor. I kinda doubt it though. Quinn will have the team ready. Hell, maybe this week he'll go over footage of the 2007 Giants, 2009 Saints, 2010 Packers, 2012 Ravens and 2013 Seahawks? Those teams had no Super Bowl experience either.

Might even toss in some footage of the 2006 Colts just to make sure there are no jitters.

Like Deion said the other day... "This isn't a 7 game series. It's one game."

drdiags

Reaction score
It should be a great matchup. I expect in the end the Pats will find a way to get a close victory but I am pulling for the Falcons. The victory would cement the Pats and Brady as one of the better dynasties in NFL history. No skin in the game but I like pulling for the underdog.

I like the fact the Falcons have a solid running game, with two backs that can replicate what C.J. Procise did to the Pats at Foxboro. I expect the Pats to take away for the most part Julio Jones, but Ryan does have other WR options that have stepped up. If the Falcons keep Ryan clean, and they seem to have done a decent job of that, he will make plays.

Dirty Birds for the win. I like Quinn and I think Blank is a compassionate owner who has paid his dues leading his organization. I am sure the NFC South opponents don't want to see that, but the Falcons are due. Just don't have their safety caught trying to hook-up with a prostitute the night before, DOOH!

chris98251

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":18wo1a96 said:
5_Golden_Rings":18wo1a96 said:

We'll know by the end of the 1st qtr if it's a factor. I kinda doubt it though. Quinn will have the team ready. Hell, maybe this week he'll go over footage of the 2007 Giants, 2009 Saints, 2010 Packers, 2012 Ravens and 2013 Seahawks? Those teams had no Super Bowl experience either.

Might even toss in some footage of the 2006 Colts just to make sure there are no jitters.

Thing about the Super Bowl, if your used to body blows all season by regular guys and step in the ring with the World Champ who will give you a Body shot and then go right for the upper cut and knock out punch it's hard to recover. We did it to the Broncos, The Pats are going to see if they can out physical a perceived finesse team, you know Brady is going to try and get points quick.

Falcons can't be in awe of the environment, they can't get wrapped up in the extra attention and distractions, you know the Patriots aren't. They are focused on just playing the game and winning, Belichek has pretty tight leash on the guys and their media stuff. For a reason, keep them on task.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":3arcy851 said:
5_Golden_Rings":3arcy851 said:

If it's a factor it will only be a factor early. The key is to not make a huge mistake early on and find yourself down 14-0 in the 2nd.