Falcons Super Bowl run already creating "Pay Me" issues

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
I would think we'll be able to enjoy at least 2-3 years like the Seahawks did before we start having these issues.

Freeman was drafted in 2014... so I'm pretty sure the Falcons saw this one coming. He's an exceptional back no doubt... and definitely deserves a raise.

A lot of our young talent will be good for a bit...

#1 Beasley LB
#2 Collins CB
#3 Coleman RB
#4 Hardy WR
#5 Jarrett DT

#1 Neal SS
#2 Jones LB
#3 Hooper TE
#4 Campbell LB

ALL of the above picks are starters for the 2016 Falcons and on rookie contracts. Man... it's like Seattle 2.0 down there in Dixie!

New stadium... player's coach... the free agents will come running.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Happens to every team. The falcons will be fine as long as they have Matt Ryan and that young defense keeps growing.

2_0_6

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":25hd873w said:
I would think we'll be able to enjoy at least 2-3 years like the Seahawks did before we start having these issues.

Freeman was drafted in 2014... so I'm pretty sure the Falcons saw this one coming. He's an exceptional back no doubt... and definitely deserves a raise.

A lot of our young talent will be good for a bit...

#1 Beasley LB
#2 Collins CB
#3 Coleman RB
#4 Hardy WR
#5 Jarrett DT

#1 Neal SS
#2 Jones LB
#3 Hooper TE
#4 Campbell LB

ALL of the above picks are starters for the 2016 Falcons and on rookie contracts. Man... it's like Seattle 2.0 down there in Dixie!

New stadium... player's coach... the free agents will come running.

Too bad this is real life and not Madden football. You have the 23rd most money to spend next season, so the free agents that "will come running" will be players making minimal money. Its a price to pay for success, everyone wants a slice of the pie.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

irocdave

Reaction score
Some of the posts by Hawk fans in this thread are the exact same as niner fans in the toilet zone back in 2015. Guess the but hurt of not making it to the SB is the same for most posters, no matter what team they cheer for. I just wonder if these posters realize the hypocrisy in their posts.

Go get your first Lombardi Atlanta, enjoy the crap out of it because it's frigging hard to win it the next year.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Atlanta has a very bright future, and that includes having to decide who to pay as their core and who they may have to take their medicine with in order to keep that core; just as the Hawks did with Golden, Carp, Breno, Sweez, Okung, Red, Clem, McDonald, Mebane, Malcolm, Bruce, Maxwell, Thurmond etc etc.

Their sub-core that they may have to let walk over the next few years probably guys like Coleman (can't pay two RBs), both veteran OGs, Hageman, Babineaux, Clayborn, one of the CBs (I doubt Collins, Trufant,Alford, Poole all get paid by the Falcons).

Ryan,Freeman, Mack, Matthews, Julio, Jarrett, Beasley, Jones, Neal aren't going anywhere. And you can keep winning with that as long as you continue to have decent drafts - I think even a Falcons fan would admit that the success rate of the past couple drafts isn't sustainable as that roster will have fewer available jobs in the years to come. We saw that here - 10,11,12 drafts were awesome, 14 only really recently showed up (Britt and hopefully PRich), having Jimmy, Lock and Clark to show for 15 is really nice though.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I may have sounded bitter or whatever but I'm not.The thing is the attitude changes when you get so far thus the "hangover" which is real.I don't miss that part.FFanNW you don't need to post anymore stats just enjoy the game and I hope we meet next year.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
irocdave":dyhj7w2b said:
Some of the posts by Hawk fans in this thread are the exact same as niner fans in the toilet zone back in 2015. Guess the but hurt of not making it to the SB is the same for most posters, no matter what team they cheer for. I just wonder if these posters realize the hypocrisy in their posts.

Go get your first Lombardi Atlanta, enjoy the crap out of it because it's frigging hard to win it the next year.

If it happens that's exactly what I'm gonna do. :irishdrinkers:

Nice post.

kobebryant":dyhj7w2b said:
Atlanta has a very bright future

Ryan,Freeman, Mack, Matthews, Julio, Jarrett, Beasley, Jones, Neal aren't going anywhere. And you can keep winning with that as long as you continue to have decent drafts - I think even a Falcons fan would admit that the success rate of the past couple drafts isn't sustainable as that roster will have fewer available jobs in the years to come. We saw that here - 10,11,12 drafts were awesome, 14 only really recently showed up (Britt and hopefully PRich), having Jimmy, Lock and Clark to show for 15 is really nice though.

Yeah... 9 starters in 2 drafts is pretty amazing. Can't expect that every year though but still gotta give props for a job well done all around.

IndyHawk":dyhj7w2b said:
I may have sounded bitter or whatever but I'm not.The thing is the attitude changes when you get so far thus the "hangover" which is real.I don't miss that part.FFanNW you don't need to post anymore stats just enjoy the game and I hope we meet next year.

We do meet next year... Atlanta makes another trip here... and (based on this year's performance) your toughest home game of the 2017 season.

BTW, I don't play Madden football... and haven't since... like... Madden 99? The NFL 2k series was great... Madden got stale after that and I've never went back.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's easy to say "bright future". But we all know that injuries and free agency awaits.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This is fluff and Freeman appears to be handling it perfectly.

The agent is trying to capitalize on the situation with the exposure of the super bowl. Freeman is playing the worker. Just let me play and leaving the negative side of things to his agent.

It would be great if these things didn't happen because they seem like they could be a distraction but really it has no bearing on the super bowl or even the team moving forward.

Good luck Atlanta, I'll be rooting hard for you in the super bowl and beyond. Quinn was an extremely smart signing. Wish we still had him. The guy is a great motivator and developer of talent. In fact those last couple drafts are a reflection of exactly that. Bringing in good talent is much easier when the coach has the ability to develop it and Quinn is among the best of doing exactly that.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Salary cap issues are almost always overblown.

Unless you are sitting on albatross contracts for terrible players and/or you are the Browns, it generally works out just fine. No good org is going to let vital home grown players leave. Falcons will be OK.

Only thing in there way next year (as it is for all teams) in terms of getting back to the playoffs/making noise is injury, IMO.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":a0djq6qh said:
Only thing in there way next year (as it is for all teams) in terms of getting back to the playoffs/making noise is injury, IMO.

Yeah... the Falcons have been very fortunate this year in that regard.

Losing Trufant in week 9 hurt... but Collins has stepped up and done a nice job. Overall the team has remained healthy.

The biggest FA signing was C Alex Mack... and the overall health of the OL was the best in the NFL. All 5 guys started all 16 games... the only team to do so I believe.

Ryan was kept upright (unlike the last half of 2015 when 5-0 turned into 8-8) and good things have happened.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
We know exactly how it feels. As people have listed we have lost a ton of guys that are starters elsewhere.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2x9v3ez9 said:

Unless you are sitting on albatross contracts for terrible players and/or you are the Browns, it generally works out just fine. No good org is going to let vital home grown players leave. Falcons will be OK.

Possibly too simplistic, given how good or bad the NFC south might be next year. The Panthers were a super bowl team last year, who's to say they don't come back. They had a down year but still have a lot of good players. Tampa looked like they were building something last year and may push on with Winston. If those two teams draft well they could cause the Falcons (without Shanahan) problems.

Who knows, maybe the Saints actually somehow draft a good defense and compete.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":336xpud6 said:
irocdave":336xpud6 said:

If it happens that's exactly what I'm gonna do. :irishdrinkers:

Nice post.

kobebryant":336xpud6 said:
Atlanta has a very bright future

Yeah... 9 starters in 2 drafts is pretty amazing. Can't expect that every year though but still gotta give props for a job well done all around.

IndyHawk":336xpud6 said:

We do meet next year... Atlanta makes another trip here... and (based on this year's performance) your toughest home game of the 2017 season.

BTW, I don't play Madden football... and haven't since... like... Madden 99? The NFL 2k series was great... Madden got stale after that and I've never went back.
Good on next year,I forgot how the schedule is set.As for Madden..The amount of stats/players names you have posted on the board are more than I see on the game itself :lol:

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Coug_Hawk08":u3lbf3i0 said:

Yeah, we got a lot of salary cap news about Big Walt over the years. Holding out, et cetera. And yet he always came to work and over-performed.

Of course, we all saw the salary cap issue that arose with Hutch. So yeah, sometimes they don't work out.

And Atlanta does look a lot like the 'Hawks in this regard.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2e4e10c1 said:
As for Madden..The amount of stats/players names you have posted on the board are more than I see on the game itself :lol:

Hahah... my family says I should have been a sportscaster.

I don't mean to be so annoying but I just have this thing about absorbing everything I read about sports stats and history. It's not just football... I do it with baseball too.

Go Mariners. :)

chris98251

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":2rtwlm4y said:
IndyHawk":2rtwlm4y said:
As for Madden..The amount of stats/players names you have posted on the board are more than I see on the game itself :lol:

I don't mean to be so annoying but I just have this thing about absorbing everything I read about sports stats and history. It's not just football... I do it with baseball too.

Go where? Vegas and then maybe we will get a real MLB team.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":s4yvhpuz said:
IndyHawk":s4yvhpuz said:

Yeah I get it..At least we both are M's fans..We have a thread on the M's all season in the Sports Bar forum..Post the stats -it's fun as it is not the Braves lol

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
chris98251":29zq36zu said:
Go where? Vegas and then maybe we will get a real MLB team.

This year is the year they end the drought!

IndyHawk":29zq36zu said:
Yeah I get it..At least we both are M's fans..We have a thread on the M's all season in the Sports Bar forum..Post the stats -it's fun as it is not the Braves lol

I'll be there... and I'll change the avatar after Sunday. :mrgreen: