Carson Palmer gone?

drrew

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/radiojody/status/826574659487354880[/tweet]

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I wish he'd have never had that gruesome leg injury. Dude may have had a ring by now with the Bengals. Glad he's not with the Cardinals anymore, assuming this is true, but always liked him as a player; he was good.

drdiags

Reaction score
Good question. I lost track of him after his twitter rant on Lynch getting pulled over by the Bellevue cops.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Larry Fitzgerald said he would retire if Palmer didn't come back. Big blow for them.

I think Romo to the Cardinals is a cert.

ringless

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2o5mbmoo said:
I wonder if Fitz follows.

Fitz said today he has made his decision and that he is going to wait a few days/ weeks to announce his decision, and mull over it a little more.

If Palmer retires I would think Fitz would follow because it's pretty much been said they are a package deal upon retirement. However in regards to the tweet about Palmer one of Palmers relatives a few weeks ago mentioned on our forums that the kids were pulled out of school because of bullying. Which is why they are likely back in California, which could also have contributed to the selling of the house. It may not be football related in saying that.

Palmer has not told the team anything yet but is apparently 50/50. The team has apparently reached out to Romo which I hate.

If Palmer and Fitz retire however, and at this point I am just going to assume thats the case. The idea of Romo disgusts me, and apparently they are also interested in Glennon which is equally disgusting. One name that hasn't been mentioned yet is Nick Foles. I dont see how the Chiefs can keep him this year, and they would have a $0 cap hit if released, or they can pay his 10 million dollar back up contract. They need the cap space, especially with the Eric Berry, and Dontari Poe contract situations. I'd rather take Nick Foles, who's 6'6", 250lbs, and has a strong arm. He isnt the best QB, but we also dont have many options. He is much better than Romo who should be more concerned about any quality of life he might have left, and Glennon who has leadership issues.

In the scenario that Fitz and Palmer retire. While that is a huge hit, it does open up an additional 40 million in cap space. We would also have Daryl Washington who's suspended not counting against the books for 7 million, the 35 million we currently have, plus the 5 million rollover. Leaving us with around 87 million in cap space, and a relatively young roster.

One of our posters also posted some interesting FA's and values. These are my thoughts. We could at that point resign Calais Campbell who sport trac says they estimate he will get 8.6 per on the open market. Franchise tag Jones at 15 million. Tony Jefferson rated out as one of the best safeties in the league last year, and made some huge plays. He will be getting around 5-6 per. That would leave us with 60 million to play around with. Under this scenario Free Agents I'd like to take a stab at with sport trac estimated value. Not saying all of them, but players we could afford to go after.

*FS Eric Berry (28) 4/$36.5M/$9.1M him playing alongside Jefferson or Mathieu would just be nasty.
CB Prince Amukamara (27) 4/$43.9M/$10.9M playing opposite PP

WR Alshon Jeffery (26) 5/$61M/$12.2M
*WR Terrelle Pryor (27) 4/$35.6/$8.9M
WR Kenny Stills (24) 5/$41.2M/$8.2M

G Ron Leary (27) 4/$36.5/$9.1M
*C J.C. Tretter (25) 6/$52.5M/$8.7M

If it was my choice, and feasible I'd get Tretter at 8.7, Terrelle Pryor at 8.9, Campbell at 8.6, get Nick Foles if released as he should be with the Chiefs cap, for 6 million, and get either Prince, or Berry at lets say an average of 10. That would be 42 million, or the trade off of losing Fitz and Palmers contract, and still leave 38 million in available cap this year.

In this case, we likely improve an already good defense, improve the o-line, and take a step back at QB, and WR. Could literally roll 25 million over assuming we spend another 15 between rookies and other minor signings. Which would give us north of 110 million in 2018 again, and a talented roster needing a QB. Whether that comes via draft, trade, or FA (Stafford?)

2_0_6

Reaction score
Since both are under contract, wouldn't Carson and Fitz have dead money towards this years cap like Lynch did?

ringless

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3h798uo1 said:
Since both are under contract, wouldn't Carson and Fitz have dead money towards this years cap like Lynch did?

The reason Lynch had a dead cap hit the way I understand it is he was paid a signing bonus in 2015, that was spread out over 15-17, and 2.5M per. The Seahawks opted to not try to recover the 5 million.

Another example is when Anthony Davis of the 49ers retired. His contract no longer counted towards the books, and when he unretired his contract was pushed back a year. So he'd have been playing on his original 2015 salary in 2016 for example.

If Carson, or Larry retire I believe that nothing would be owed since they didn't finish out the contract, and opted to retire. However if Carson decided to come back in 18, then he would play on his original 2017 contract, while the rest would also be pushed back a year.

2_0_6

Reaction score
ringless":2dgn576d said:
Hawk_Nation":2dgn576d said:

The reason Lynch had a dead cap hit the way I understand it is he was paid a signing bonus in 2015, that was spread out over 15-17, and 2.5M per. The Seahawks opted to not try to recover the 5 million.

Another example is when Anthony Davis of the 49ers retired. His contract no longer counted towards the books, and when he unretired his contract was pushed back a year. So he'd have been playing on his original 2015 salary in 2016 for example.

If Carson, or Larry retire I believe that nothing would be owed since they didn't finish out the contract, and opted to retire. However if Carson decided to come back in 18, then he would play on his original 2017 contract, while the rest would also be pushed back a year.

Ahh ok, gotcha. If I'm the Cards, the Redskins would be getting a call to see what it would take to get Cousins. DJ is way too damn good to ruin these years with a crappy QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3dloszb7 said:
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Larry Fitzgerald said he would retire if Palmer didn't come back. Big blow for them.

I think Romo to the Cardinals is a cert.
Larry knows his status for next season but is waiting till after the SB and CP has sold house ect.I think both are done.Time is unbeaten but they leave before getting too old and hurt so good for them

xgeoff

Reaction score
Ah, living in the era of fake news...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":1s8tgcj8 said:
It's like going back in time to the 1930's yellow journalism era.

classicaaron

Reaction score
David Johnson on Mike and Mike this morning said he 100% knows Palmer is coming back, said it was never a second thought.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1upu47gh said:
xgeoff":1upu47gh said:
It's like going back in time to the 1930's yellow journalism era.

This is really bizarre. I was thinking *exactly* the same thing. I had even written it in the post but removed it cause I thought it might be too political. But yellow journalism, jingoism, etc., is exactly what I've been thinking with respect to our current news climate.