Did Shanahan just pull a Bevell in the Superbowl?

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Set up the field goal for the win,not lose any yardage on a QB sack ...dumbass

AKSeahawks

Reaction score
This has Seahawks scheme written all over it. Passing the ball when you should be running it. Four man rush with vanilla defense. Falcons messed it up big time

sutz

Reaction score
Well, some of that has to be on Ryan. You just can't take those sacks, get rid of the damn ball.

:facepalm:

OP
OP
B

BChawkfan

Reaction score
sutz":1tphkpz7 said:
Well, some of that has to be on Ryan. You just can't take those sacks, get rid of the damn ball.

He should never have been put in position to lose yardage in that situation.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Crizilla":2r14w8pm said:
why didnt ATL run it on 3rd and 1 at the end? dumb

3rd and one was the strip sack that they should have run it.

The other sack, the main one, was second and one.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
BChawkfan":2lr8p1oc said:
sutz":2lr8p1oc said:

No way, that was on Ryan. MVP not throwing the ball away, he blew it.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":9romnzjn said:
Being an armchair OC is easy. If it's your job, not so much.

99% of the time, that's very true, but man oh man, how do you not just run down the clock there? That's the one time that playing for the field goal is a good idea.

OP
OP
B

BChawkfan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3ctu7mmn said:
BChawkfan":3ctu7mmn said:
sutz":3ctu7mmn said:

The play call should have been a run play. No way should he have dropped back to pass. Avoid a sack at all cost. Run,run,run,kick feild goal,win game. Idiotic play calling by OC,in my opinion.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
BChawkfan":1pibcnn9 said:
seahawkfreak":1pibcnn9 said:
BChawkfan":1pibcnn9 said:
sutz":1pibcnn9 said:

The play call should have been a run play. No way should he have dropped back to pass. Avoid a sack at all cost. Run,run,run,kick feild goal,win game. Idiotic play calling by OC,in my opinion.

ESPECIALLY after the Falcons bragged all week about how the Patriots had never seen a run game like theirs, how unstoppable their run game was, etc. etc.

Just inexcusable.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure I can take much more of this Monday morning OC expertise re XLIX.

For the love of God can you imagine the uproar if we handed it off and Lynch fumbled or got pushed back. Everyone would be calling DB predictable and bland etc. It was the execution of that call not the call itself which should be lamented. As others have said if Lockette gets in ino-one would even think about the call even twice. It's not like Lynch had been automatic either.

What the Falcons did was unforgivably poor as they didnt need to try and do anything fancy to get the lead. They had it in their hands whereas the Seahawks in XLIX still had work to do.

mistaowen

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":29x5wtj7 said:

For the love of God can you imagine the uproar if we handed it off and Lynch fumbled or got pushed back. Everyone would be calling DB predictable and bland etc. It was the execution of that call not the call itself which should be lamented. As others have said if Lockette gets in ino-one would even think about the call even twice. It's not like Lynch had been automatic either.

What the Falcons did was unforgivably poor as they didnt need to try and do anything fancy to get the lead. They had it in their hands whereas the Seahawks in XLIX still had work to do.

Even if the 5th WR Lockette makes a great play and scores, it was a dumb call. I understand they wanted to try a pass, but it should have been a much safer call than a one read bullet to the middle of the field relying on a pick play (which Browner knew was coming).

Lynch was a shoe-string tackle away from scoring just before. If we went right back to him and he fumbled, so be it. I highly doubt there would be an uproar giving it to our best player. The Pats were notoriously bad at stopping the run in the red zone that season. Bad situational decision, bad execution, bad play call.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":dvytejth said:

For the love of God can you imagine the uproar if we handed it off and Lynch fumbled or got pushed back.

I'm with you on this. People forget that Lynch was unsuccessful several times in short yardage situations in XLIX. Why would we try handing it off to him again when the Pats had been over it all game? Hindsight bias 100%.

The interception happened because something very unordinary happened on that play...Lockette, despite his size, got completely knocked back when Butler made contact with him. You never see that happen...usually the WR and CB will both fall to the ground if they hit each other like that, or at least be contorted enough to where catching the ball is impossible. Bevell was 100% correct in his observation that Lockette could have been "stronger" to the ball.

mistaowen

Reaction score
And re-Shanahan, just run the ball man. I understand Matt Ryan is MVP and it was on him not taking a sack there, but trust your good running game, burn some clock (or TOs) and kick a FG to basically make it out of reach. 31-20 with 3 minutes left is such an uphill battle.

I saw he wanted to make the "50 yard kick easier" but it was actually only 40 which should be a gimme in the NFL. He did man up and take the blame for it though.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
He got too aggressive and instead of doing the logical thing and putting the game away by running the ball until a 4th down (mind you, it was 2nd and 1 on the sack), decided he wanted to throw the ball and be cute. He put Matt Ryan in a position to lose big yardage, it's obvious to so many that it was poor situational play calling. You can say "Ryan should have thrown the ball away" but it remains a terrible play call, because if the defensive line gets any sort of good pressure or a free runner, it's a 0 yard gain at best and no time gets run off the clock.

He Bev'd it. Going up 11 would have most likely sealed the deal. But honestly, the entire Falcons team crapped the bed so I can't put all the blame into that one play. They lost not being able to put even 3 points on the board or sustain a drive the entirety of the 4th quarter, and keep the Pats offense off the field. Falcons defense was visibly gassed at the end. There was just no slowing Brady down at that point.