Seahawks: Not Most Embarrassing Super Bowl Loss Now

aawolf

Reaction score
Oh my God, guys, I know I don't post much on this forum, but I had to vent:

I was pulling for the Falcons because of Dan Quinn and Patriots hate, and Quinn and Shannahan just did the stupidest coaching job I've ever seen in any game. The good news is that the Seahawks can no longer claim the most stupid Superbowl coaching decisions.

1st and 10 from the Patriot's 22, up 8 points, with 4:40 to go. Matt Bryant has only missed one field goal under 50 yards the whole year, and that was outside in bad weather. You are in a dome. You are playing Tom Brady, who you know will probably score a TD again with as little as 2 minutes on the clock, as he just torched you by closing a 25 point lead you had in the 3rd Quarter. What do you do in this situation? Heck, what does someone with any football experience whatsoever, even a middle school ball boy, do in this situation? You run the darn ball, you kick a field goal and you are up 11 with like 3:20 seconds (assuming NE takes a time out at some point in the series). Every time you run, in this situation, you are either taking 40 seconds away from Tom Brady to beat you, or you are taking a timeout away from Tom Brady to beat you. If you are up 11, NE has to get a TD and a field goal with 3:20 left, which is impossible even for Tom Brady.

What does Shannahan do? He elects to throw the ball and Matt Ryan takes a sack. That is stupid on so many levels. But, you still can kick a field goal if you just kneel down, or run the ball for a short loss, at that point and let another 40 seconds tick off the clock. What does Shannahan do? He tries to throw again and there is a holding penalty. Now, its 4th and 33 and you have to punt. Of course Tom Brady is going to march down the field and score. There was no doubt in my mind he would do this because that's what great players do.

These were the stupidest calls of the game, but there were other stupid calls as well. When you are up 16 points in the fourth quarter, and the touchback spot is at the 25, why oh why in the world would you allow your returner to take the kickoff out of the end zone? It just gives the Patriots a chance to make a play, which they did, and pinned the Falcons at around the 10 yard line when the returner took the kick out of the endzone twice.

Also, what do you do when you are up 16 in the fourth quarter in your side of the field with 8 minutes left in a 3rd and 1? Again, you run, run, run. 40 seconds taken from Tom Brady and you would probably get the first down. Even if you did not, you would be able to punt and avoid an interception, a hold, or what happened, which was a strip sack. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

If I'm owner of the 9ers, I'm calling Shannahan today and telling him nevermind about that coaching job, I'm getting someone that knows how to manage the clock.

Sign37now

Reaction score
No, not running Marshawn at the one yard line on 2nd down. Still dumbest decision EVER! It may never be topped.

OP
OP
aawolf

aawolf

Reaction score
Also, factor in that Atlanta was snapping the ball in the 4th quarter with time on the play clock--at times 20 seconds that I saw. Why do this? No time management skills whatsoever for Atlanta.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I suppose they dont call him matty ice for nothing????

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":lwnhxh1t said:
I suppose they dont call him matty ice for nothing????

I want to call him something relating to flatlining, but that was actually the whole Falcons team last night.

Honestly, I've kinda been over Super Bowl 49 for some time now. It really sucks losing that one in the fashion we did, throwing our place in history away and being another notch in the Pats dynasty belt. I'm still proud of what we accomplished that year, and we weren't firing on all cylinders going into that game - and certainly not throughout the game with all the injuries that were sustained (and the ones later reported on). This game helped put the final nail in that grieving coffin, though.

Losing a game on one play vs. choking away a 25 point lead and completely failing to finish a game. I'll take the former.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Agree. Falcons have the most embarrassing loss ever now.