Are the Falcons better off now???..,

KPA

Reaction score
With Kyle Shanahan moving on to the 49rs, I believe that the Falcons may be in better position to contend moving forward. Shanahan's offense has always seemed more complicated and his career offenses have always (my opinion) underachieved because of that.

This hopefully bodes well for the Seahawks as he will be bringing that offense to the 49rs.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pcbball12

Reaction score
No, they are not. His scheme is a big reason for their offenses success this year. The Falcons offense this year was one of the best of all time. He has been successful about everywhere he has gone. RGIII's rookie year was with him as his OC, best year of his career. The guy is an offensive genius, a team doesn't get better with him gone. That is not to say another guy can't come in and try and keep things moving along because they are stacked with talent on O, but he is one of few that really seems to just get it when it comes to getting all of his playmakers involved.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Yeah but he is getting a lot of blame over on the way that the offense collapsed around him! When it all counted. It is about finishing the game!

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Passepartout":16ogsdcw said:
Yeah but he is getting a lot of blame over on the way that the offense collapsed around him! When it all counted. It is about finishing the game!
Kyle Shanahan wasn't sacked because he failed to see the defender to throw the ball away.
Kyle Shanahan wasn't called for holding.

Kyle Shanahan didn't miss a block which led to a sack fumble.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2wpnw15h said:
Passepartout":2wpnw15h said:

Darrell Bevel didn't throw that interception to Malcolm Butler. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trrrroy

Reaction score
pcbball12":3w25mxxg said:
No, they are not. His scheme is a big reason for their offenses success this year. The Falcons offense this year was one of the best of all time. He has been successful about everywhere he has gone. RGIII's rookie year was with him as his OC, best year of his career. The guy is an offensive genius, a team doesn't get better with him gone. That is not to say another guy can't come in and try and keep things moving along because they are stacked with talent on O, but he is one of few that really seems to just get it when it comes to getting all of his playmakers involved.

I think offensive genius might be a bit generous. Yes, RGIII had a great rookie year under him, but how much of that was him or his dad? Russell Wilson had a fantastic rookie year too, but nobody is calling Bevell a genius. Not only that but the Redskins offense fell off a cliff afterwards and led to his firing. And after he was fired Kirk Cousins went from awful to pro-bowler.

He went to the Browns after that where his offense looked terrible. I'm not willing to blame Shannahan for that seeing as it was the Browns. That said, we can't ignore the the Browns offense looked better when he left. Still terrible, but slightly less so.

Really, outside of the Falcons Shannahan's resume isn't all that impressive.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I hate the Idea if Chip as a head coach. Chip as an offensive coordinator intrigues me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It's an interesting thought, if you believe the Seahawks have never fully recovered from 49 because the OC is still here. Perhaps the Falcons bounce back quicker because the person who may take the blame (right or wrong) is gone.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
To believe that the Falcons will be better without the OC that was the primary reason they reached the Superbowl requires one to ignore the mountain of data that points to him as a major driver to their success in 2016. You cannot just expect to replicate that with someone else at the helm calling the plays.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1p5eh7vx said:
To believe that the Falcons will be better without the OC that was the primary reason they reached the Superbowl requires one to ignore the mountain of data that points to him as a major driver to their success in 2016. You cannot just expect to replicate that with someone else at the helm calling the plays.

I think the idea is that the negative feelings around whatever the hell happened in the 4th quarter of that Super Bowl might outweigh what ever Shanahan brings to the team.

It doesn't. But it's an interesting conversation (since we basically discuss it from a Seahawks standpoint every day on here)

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3b82jask said:
Milehighhawk":3b82jask said:

I think the idea is that the negative feelings around whatever the hell happened in the 4th quarter of that Super Bowl might outweigh what ever Shanahan brings to the team.

It doesn't. But it's an interesting conversation (since we basically discuss it from a Seahawks standpoint every day on here)

I can guarantee the coaches and players will not be pointing their fingers at Shanahan. That was a total team effort loss.

Falcons will not be better off, they lost a huge asset in Shanahan.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Trrrroy":203q3axp said:
pcbball12":203q3axp said:

I think offensive genius might be a bit generous. Yes, RGIII had a great rookie year under him, but how much of that was him or his dad? Russell Wilson had a fantastic rookie year too, but nobody is calling Bevell a genius. Not only that but the Redskins offense fell off a cliff afterwards and led to his firing. And after he was fired Kirk Cousins went from awful to pro-bowler.

He went to the Browns after that where his offense looked terrible. I'm not willing to blame Shannahan for that seeing as it was the Browns. That said, we can't ignore the the Browns offense looked better when he left. Still terrible, but slightly less so.

Really, outside of the Falcons Shannahan's resume isn't all that impressive.
7 of his 9 years as an OC he has fielded a top 10 offense in the league. I would say that is consistently successful. When he has a legitimate chance to implement his offense, there is no one better at scheming his players to the best of their capability to me. He utilizes his talent as good as anyone I have seen...and does it in a number of different ways. Formation variation, little wrinkles here and there....he is really good. Will he be a successful head coach? I don't know, I think that position demands a lot more than great scheming and good play calling (minus 4th Qtr of SB). But, he is one hell of a coordinator.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I don't know where you get 7 out of 9. He's had a top 10 scoring offense only 3 times in his career. He's fielded a bottom 21 scoring offense 5 times. Kenneth Aurthur had a great article over on Fieldgulls about this exact topic, actually. It's a great read.

Don't get me wrong I love Kyle Shannahan as an OC. I would love him here in Seattle. He just hasn't shown that he can succed when there isn't a good talent pool already in place. The closest he's come to developing his own offense was in DC, and in all reality he failed there. Blame it on RGIII but Gruden and McVay turned that offense around with largely the same pieces Shanny had at his disposal, including QB.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Trrrroy":7mwxl31q said:
I don't know where you get 7 out of 9. He's had a top 10 scoring offense only 3 times in his career. He's fielded a bottom 21 scoring offense 5 times. Kenneth Aurthur had a great article over on Fieldgulls about this exact topic, actually. It's a great read.

Don't get me wrong I love Kyle Shannahan as an OC. I would love him here in Seattle. He just hasn't shown that he can succed when there isn't a good talent pool already in place. The closest he's come to developing his own offense was in DC, and in all reality he failed there. Blame it on RGIII but Gruden and McVay turned that offense around with largely the same pieces Shanny had at his disposal, including QB.
Sorry, was referring to yards and it is 6 of 9, not 7. The fiasco that was WAS I do not put the blame on him at all. He built his entire offense around RGIII, which was tremendous his rookie year. A guy he built his entire offense around could not stay healthy and created controversy. When Cousins came in at QB for him, the offense was not designed with him in mind and it is way too difficult to change an offense on the fly so that turned out the way it did. When he is able to build an offense around his talent, he is extremely good.

I think that situation in WAS was just a shitshow, and it didn't help he was under his dad as basically an extension. I really just like the way he utilizes his playmakers. He schemes to his strengths and takes full advantage of talent. If he has personnel to be balanced his scheme is incredible.

Boycie

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1zqgltjb said:
Passepartout":1zqgltjb said:
Kyle Shanahan wasn't sacked because he failed to see the defender to throw the ball away.
Kyle Shanahan wasn't called for holding.

Wow, look at you coming to his defense so quick. Its like you have a vested interest in him.

NINEster

Reaction score
If the Falcons held on to win the game by simply running it at the end, does Shanahan suddenly get elevated to Bill Walsh iconic status?

It's silly to overdramatize a few plays, even a game. But a game I could understand if the Falcons offense played like complete crap.

It didn't. Put up 21 points on the #1 scoring defense in a matter of 3 quarters.

When you combine it with everything the Falcons did this season, it all reflects well on Shanny.

Looks like he will take on the Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton role, calling the plays.

You take the good with the bad. Shanahan won't be perfect but he's a step in the right direction. LOL at "glad he's bringing to the 49ers"....

From a pure offensive game plan point of view, he is way ahead of Harbaugh/Roman, and better than Kelly as well.

It's like killing Matt Ryan for not being Tom Brady or Joe Montana.....you're usually way better off with him than without.

A tidbit on Shanahan vs. Kelly:

Kelly used shotgun/pistol (combined) most snaps last year in the NFL
Shanahan the least

Too much shotgun is not good for offensive dominance.