Robert Saleh

SF49r

Reaction score
Hes now our DC, was a defensive assistant for the Seahawks from 2011-2013 then went to the jags with Gus Bradley, thoughts?

chris98251

Reaction score
So we will play the Falcons offense and our own defense, Sea Atlanta 49ers.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He was a quality control coach when he was here. That is the NFL equivalent to a paid internship he did not do a lot here.

Marvin49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":338tf1df said:
Reports are that they'll completely make the switch to the 4-3.

Anyone who know Seattles D better than I (just about everyone here) feel free to correct me, but I think the difference between a 3-4 and the 4-3 we are talking about is pretty minimal. A lot of the 4-3 Seattle is running now has some base concepts that Carroll Picked up as the DC in SF....IE Fred Dean and Charles Haleys "Elephant" position that switched them from 3-4 to 4-3 on the fly is a precursor to Seattles "Leo"...or at least thats how I've understood it.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/1/19/ ... o-position

"We mixed the concepts of one-gap football and two-gap football in a very unique way in San Francisco," Carroll said. "And we played great defense. To me, that was the ultimate package, and we've been able to get back to it now. It's taken us three years, really, to get to the point where we can incorporate the ideas. So, we're doing all of the things that we liked there. I thought it was the most comprehensive package of defense that I've been around. I was not able to do that at SC. I was the defensive coordinator and putting the whole thing together at SC, but our guys just couldn't handle it. It was just too much stuff, and it was too much for the coaches. So we did variations of stuff. It worked out great, but in college, we weren't capable of doing all of that. Guys couldn't learn and couldn't teach it the way we needed to. But it made sense to Gus and all of our coaches -- the background and the principles of things -- and then we've melded it together and ended up with a pretty diverse package of defense."

The most glamorous player in Carroll's defense is the Leo - the weakside edge player. While the 49er defense Carroll coached for in the 90s based out of a 3-4 defense, one of their favorite variations was the "Elephant" set.

The Elephant front turned into it's own position, with Carroll eventually changing the name to "Leo." The Leo isn't particularly unique in and of itself. Most defenses have some kind of unique name for their weakside edge player (Buck/Whip/Jack), but Carroll plays him in a particularly loose alignment, and he's the one player along the front who isn't concerned with getting one-yard upfield and anchoring in this defense. He can line up standing up or with his hand in the ground, and sole focus is to be the primary pass rusher and wreak havoc in the backfield. Ultimately, what makes Carroll's defense unique is how the huge gap between the Leo and the next defensive lineman along the scrimmage is defended.