Falcons fire DC and DL Coach

mistaowen

Reaction score
Wow, they were probably the most improved defense in the last half of the season and for 2/3 of the SB.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a great number of us here wondering if this is related to what happened to Seattle after the SuperBowl. We did nothing after our debacle...was there an impact to the team because nobody paid the price? Seems most of us would say yes, always compete...unless you are a coach/coordinator.
Since our SuperBowl win I'd say we have been impacted by injuries more than anything else. They entire LOB was playing injured during 49...not nicked up....injured. We lost our DE to concussion. This year was horrific with injuries. It had a large impact on our game to game and ultimately to our demise in the playoffs.
But what we also saw appeared to be disunity of the team. Not the Love Our Brother they like to describe. I still believe some of the players have bad feelings toward some of the coaching staff. It definitely appears we are standing firm yet again with our staff. I hope I am wrong, but it seems due to poor injury luck and our inability to cut ties with some of our coahces we are wasting the best years this franchise has ever seen.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1a8mzs3u said:
Very interesting. They didn't hesitate at all to make significant changes when there's an obvious problem. Culpability and accountability addressed immediately.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /97638862/

Quinn ain't messing around. I mean, that loss was embarrassing and even though one can point to the offense for not providing points in the 4th, I mean, you were up 28-3 by the middle of the 3rd Quarter. I'd say your offense kinda gave you the game, all the defense had to do was just slow the Pats down.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Interesting.

Guess we'll see how that works out for them. I'd say there are at least equal chances it's a setback.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Wonder if he tries to get Rocky to rethink joining the ministry. I think that that is a very appealing job for any young ambitious defensive coach.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
This website is moronic at times and worst of all uninformed.

Chapow

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":18vhadh1 said:
Very interesting. They didn't hesitate at all to make significant changes when there's an obvious problem. Culpability and accountability addressed immediately.

Was there an obvious problem? As has already been pointed out in this thread, the Falcons defense improved significantly over the course of the season and over the past couple of months was playing very well. Of course squandering a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl is absolutely awful, but this seems like a pretty drastic overreaction. First of all, that collapse was a total team effort. A single field goal in the 4th quarter most likely would have put the game away. Secondly, and I don't mean to excuse the collapse of the team, but that happened against one of the greatest QB's and one of the greatest Coaches in NFL history.

That defensive coaching staff did a great job with what they had to work with this season. A GREAT job. As bad as that Super Bowl loss was, It's hard to believe that the final 20 minutes of the season overrides the massive improvement of that defense over the course of the season.

Good luck getting a brand new defensive coaching staff that is going to be able to do a better job than the guys they just kicked to the curb after turning that defense around.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Looks like Quinn didn't take one thing with him from Seattle. That one thing is the belief that continuity is important. We shall see if it pays off, but odds are Atlanta may see a "Carolina-esk" fall from grace in 2017.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":qtpowkdl said:
West TX Hawk":qtpowkdl said:

Quinn ain't Messing around. I mean, that loss was embarrassing and even though one can point to the offense for not providing points in the 4th, I mean, you were up 28-3 by the middle of the 3rd Quarter. I'd say your offense kinda gave you the game, all the defense had to do was just slow the Pats down.
TOP killed their D. Look at the TOP for the SB. NE had the ball longer and Atlanta's D got gassed. 40 minutes to 23 minutes will KILL any defense.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":399vd79g said:
West TX Hawk":399vd79g said:

Quinn ain't Messing around. I mean, that loss was embarrassing and even though one can point to the offense for not providing points in the 4th, I mean, you were up 28-3 by the middle of the 3rd Quarter. I'd say your offense kinda gave you the game, all the defense had to do was just slow the Pats down.

The defense was pressuring Brady and doing really well until up to the 4th quarter. Then you look at how many plays and how long they had been on the field..what else is the D supposed to do, they were out there twice as long as the ATL offense. Hard to get after Brady when he is throwing the ball almost 70 times

Maybe if the shit offense didnt fumble the ball on a 3rd and 1 giving NE a short field, or idk, not blunder a drive that was 1st and 10 on the NE 20 where all they had to do was kick a FG, or idk, after recovering the onside go like 10 yards to get into FG range which they ALSO couldnt do.

I mean the D even scored a TD and got a fumble that NE would of gotten at least 3 if not 7 from the drive

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I

LOVE

This news though. :irishdrinkers:

Bye Atlanta it was nice being a one hit wonder, have fun giving that division back to one of the other 3 teams. No way in hell they do as good as this year with new OC, new DC, new DL coach, maybe even more things? after that collapse in the superbowl

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Bad decision for the Falcons. I know who won't be a factor next post season. New OC/DC/DL coaching staff? Hopefully Sarkisian can stay sober that'll help somewhat.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":2gbwt5ky said:
I called this shot months ago: Quinn will hire Bradley.
I thought Gus was hired somewhere else. ....and Quinn couldn't fire Shanny because he was already gone.