Tony Romo/Dallas question

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Can't stand anything with the Cowboys so I just want to know with Romo's massive contract still in play for next 2-3 years which of course the Cowboys are in salary cap hell with:How can they cut or trade him?When I assume you take big cap hits either way right?I want them to suffer with him and his contract since HOF JJ was stupid enough to sign the old guy to it in the first place

Joygazm

Reaction score
If they receive enough high value draft picks, the influx of young talent on rookie deals will probably be off set by the saved money. They will still be in cap issues till the dead money falls off, but the young contracts they have from the picks would be more manageable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":34q4ymav said:
Can't stand anything with the Cowboys so I just want to know with Romo's massive contract still in play for next 2-3 years which of course the Cowboys are in salary cap hell with:How can they cut or trade him?When I assume you take big cap hits either way right?I want them to suffer with him and his contract since HOF JJ was stupid enough to sign the old guy to it in the first place
No team will trade for Romo when they'd have to give up draft picks pay his 24.7 million dollar salary for an over the hill QB that is fragile as fine china and may not make it thru game one,
And that's just for 2017. His dead money hit is over 19 million in 2017. Why would teams trade for him when if they really want him they can wait for *allas to cut him, not have to trade anything and pay much much less in salary and cap hit when he's cut?

Jerruh's living in fantasy land if he thinks any team will trade for him. Jerruh's horrible when it comes to managing the cap.

Largent80

Reaction score
Why is Romo even going to risk being able to walk again. What an idiot. He's done, washed up. Hell he was washed up when he came into the league. Jones is an ultra maroon for giving him that contract. Hahahahaha

And now, his vaunted offensive line will be exiting their rookie deals. Oh my....Buaaaahahahahahahahaha...HA!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":3v654bx3 said:
Why is Romo even going to risk being able to walk again. What an idiot. He's done, washed up. Hell he was washed up when he came into the league. Jones is an ultra maroon for giving him that contract. Hahahahaha

And now, his vaunted offensive line will be exiting their rookie deals. Oh my....Buaaaahahahahahahahaha...HA!
I think Romo is an idiot for not retiring, he is risking his quality life after football.
I'm surprised doctors or Jerruh haven't told him "you're done". I understand and respect his "competitive drive" but at some point common sense has to enter the picture you'd think.

ringless

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3w4sabt1 said:
Largent80":3w4sabt1 said:

I think Romo is an idiot for not retiring, he is risking his quality life after football.
I'm surprised doctors or Jerruh haven't told him "you're done". I understand and respect his "competitive drive" but at some point common sense has to enter the picture you'd think.

Exactly why I wonder why any team would want him. There's no evidence he can stay healthy for any amount of time.

In regards to his cap hit, yes it will be massive. If they designate him as a June 1st cap hit however they can do 10 million this year, and 9 the next. Regardless the Cowboys are in cap hell.

In regards to a trade, the team trading for him would not be responsible for his 24 million dollar cap hit. The Cowboys would still be responsible for 19 of it this year, while the trading team would have to pay 5. But who wants to pay a 1st round pick for a 37 year old QB, who has broken 6+ bones in 2 or so years.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
His last healthy season he led the league in completion percentage and passer rating. A team that feels like they're just a QB away (Denver) will talk themselves into Romo. He'll have to renegotiate his contract for sure, but he will get traded for. Teams that want him aren't going to wait for the Cowboys to cut him and risk losing him to another team.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It will be like the Payton Manning deal. He will be cut and will be the most sought after QB in free agency.

Denver or Houston would be the best spots football wise.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Peyton's situation was different than Romo's. He had a 28 million cap hit before the start of the league year. So it was impossible for the colts to trade Manning before the payment was due. That's not true with Romo, or at least not to my knowledge.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ringless":gpc45qqs said:
Sports Hernia":gpc45qqs said:
Largent80":gpc45qqs said:

Exactly why I wonder why any team would want him. There's no evidence he can stay healthy for any amount of time.

In regards to his cap hit, yes it will be massive. If they designate him as a June 1st cap hit however they can do 10 million this year, and 9 the next. Regardless the Cowboys are in cap hell.

In regards to a trade, the team trading for him would not be responsible for his 24 million dollar cap hit. The Cowboys would still be responsible for 19 of it this year, while the trading team would have to pay 5. But who wants to pay a 1st round pick for a 37 year old QB, who has broken 6+ bones in 2 or so years.
The third part is confusing to me..So they cut him and only 10 million applies to cap and 9 next year?The thing is he is owed for 2 years according Sports H..I get the trade part

knownone

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2jtd2utp said:
Largent80":2jtd2utp said:

I don't like that people are jumping at the opportunity to call Romo an idiot or whatever for not wanting to retire. We don't know the extent of his injury or the ramifications of playing through said injury, for all we know he's at no risk of further exacerbating his condition... so why is he an idiot? Doesn't common sense say not to prognosticate with what amounts to intuitive guessing?

On top of that, how many people would jump at the opportunity to make 20 Million a year at the risk of serious injury? I would, and I'd probably give anyone who wouldn't crap for not at the very least trying.

Good for Romo his work ethic is what got him to where he is and that work ethic has not changed even in the most trying of times.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
knownone":1ncl7m1h said:
Sports Hernia":1ncl7m1h said:
Largent80":1ncl7m1h said:

I don't like that people are jumping at the opportunity to call Romo an idiot or whatever for not wanting to retire. We don't know the extent of his injury or the ramifications of playing through said injury, for all we know he's at no risk of further exacerbating his condition... so why is he an idiot? Doesn't common sense say not to prognosticate with what amounts to intuitive guessing?

On top of that, how many people would jump at the opportunity to make 20 Million a year at the risk of serious injury? I would, and I'd probably give anyone who wouldn't crap for not at the very least trying.

Good for Romo his work ethic is what got him to where he is and that work ethic has not changed even in the most trying of times.
Romo probably has enough money for his grandkids to live off of.
He's an idiot if he isn't around long enough to live a good quality life and enjoy the wealth he has earned.
My argument is based on a quality of life issue AFTER football.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Cowboys can cut him after the start of the new league year in March and still designate him a June 1st cut to offset the cap hit.

knownone

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1c49ro66 said:
knownone":1c49ro66 said:
Sports Hernia":1c49ro66 said:
Largent80":1c49ro66 said:

He's an idiot if he isn't around long enough to live a good quality life and enjoy the wealth he has earned.
That's a fair position to have and I don't want it to seem like I was singling you out, I'm not.

Having personally dealt with the health or work debate I feel like I can provide a different perspective on things. I work in a very stressful field and deal with heart problems that doctors have told me are exacerbated by the stress of my job and could potentially lead to long-term consequences to my health. I'm not generationally wealthy like Romo but I could retire and live comfortably. I love my family and understand the long term ramifications of my work but I choose to work because that's what I love to do, that is who I am, and I would be lost without it. Spending whatever money I make doesn't matter to me personally because I don't work for the money, I work because I enjoy it.

In many ways, that's how I view the Romo situation, it ain't about the money, it's knowing that you have a short window to do what you love at a high level and he is willing to risk everything to do what he loves... 20 million ain't a bad incentive, but it's not the only incentive. Plus, we don't know the full extent of Romo's quality of life right now, so how can we judge?

I feel like he deserves a little more respect than he's being given under the circumstances... and I can't stand Romo

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
knownone":37xdqlus said:
Sports Hernia":37xdqlus said:
knownone":37xdqlus said:
Sports Hernia":37xdqlus said:

That's a fair position to have and I don't want it to seem like I was singling you out, I'm not.

Having personally dealt with the health or work debate I feel like I can provide a different perspective on things. I work in a very stressful field and deal with heart problems that doctors have told me are exacerbated by the stress of my job and could potentially lead to long-term consequences to my health. I'm not generationally wealthy like Romo but I could retire and live comfortably. I love my family and understand the long term ramifications of my work but I choose to work because that's what I love to do, that is who I am, and I would be lost without it. Spending whatever money I make doesn't matter to me personally because I don't work for the money, I work because I enjoy it.

In many ways, that's how I view the Romo situation, it ain't about the money, it's knowing that you have a short window to do what you love at a high level and he is willing to risk everything to do what he loves... 20 million ain't a bad incentive, but it's not the only incentive. Plus, we don't know the full extent of Romo's quality of life right now, so how can we judge?

I feel like he deserves a little more respect than he's being given under the circumstances... and I can't stand Romo
I respect where you are coming from..... but, and no offense, your situations are apples and oranges due to the HUGE
Amount of $$$ he makes compared to us average Joes.

I'll be the first to admit I don't like Romo "the persona", I think he is severlely overrated and has a lot to do
With the Cowboys lack of success during his tenure. Romo Being Overrated and overhyped isn't his fault, and I don't blame him for that. .....and I'm not one that falls in love with fantasy football stats.

I have zero problems with Romo the person, who seems like a good dude that doesn't get himself arrested, seems like a great family man and husband and is extremely loyal. ......and he supposed to be a GREAT golfer that had aspirations to turn into a golf pro when he retired. You want an avenue to channel those competitive juices? that's it. If Romo is crippled, that opportunity is lost, and so is quality of life, and another tragic story begins.

I understand the competitive mind, but his body is telling him to give it up, but the mind is overriding the body.
Sadly, It happens all of the time.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He already reminds me of Johnny Unitas or Joe Namath trying to capture one last glory except he never had it like those guys..Tony the person we all have no problem with but the player and his massive contract that still confuses me is another story..SDog makes it sound like they can cut and run with no hit on cap..I sure as hell hope not..

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2vcl0uuy said:
He already reminds me of Johnny Unitas or Joe Namath trying to capture one last glory except he never had it like those guys..Tony the person we all have no problem with but the player and his massive contract that still confuses me is another story..SDog makes it sound like they can cut and run with no hit on cap..I sure as hell hope not..
Nope, Clayton said it was an 11 million dollar cap hit even if he is released (more if not).
I've heard other places say it may be as high as 14 million.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2z1op9n7 said:
IndyHawk":2z1op9n7 said:
Nope, Clayton said it was an 11 million dollar cap hit even if he is released (more if not).
Thats a start for this season..So it would be safe to assume next season as well?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3atdm9c4 said:
Sports Hernia":3atdm9c4 said:
IndyHawk":3atdm9c4 said:
Thats a start for this season..So it would be safe to assume next season as well?
Not sure. I'm sure it would be something but probably much less.