Breno Giacomini (speculation)

King Dog

Reaction score
Breno was released from the Jets today.

He signs a 4 year deal with the Hawks, makes 1st team All Pro the next four years and is inducted into the Hall of Fame 1st ballot five years after he retires.

After his third straight All Pro season, he's able to talk Riddell into designing a helmet that fits his head.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Breno signs a 2 year deal with the Seahawks, will be the headline in a few weeks

crosfam

Reaction score
We will be outbid. Everybody in the league is screaming about their offensive lines. Somebody will overpay, and he will be a FA again in a year or two.

But i'd love to get him on a 1-yr prove-it deal to compete if I am wrong.

chris98251

Reaction score
NO, bad back missed 11 games I think I read. We can get younger hungrier and unknown that are FA's with close to the same skill set or better for us, his feet were slow at RT,, good in the run game and loved his Unibrow Eyebrow mentality when it came to protecting or QB.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I could see him signing for what Jamarcus Webb got, but we learn from past mistakes doing less guaranteed money, and incentive based included i.e. making roster and playing time.

Pretty much lets say he signs, he gets a 250k signing bonus, and can earn another 250k with a workout bonus. Then, if he makes the team he earns $1m base guaranteed. Then every start he make is worth 125k or 500k per 4 starts. At most, he could make $3.5 if he starts every game.

Which would be fair.

Although, the dream would be to get Giacomini for the vet min.

I think we are a prime team to land Giacomini, if we want him.

1. Giacomini is an acquired taste, I think few teams run the offenses that utilize his strengths.

2. There are more established RTs, and better options available in FA plus in the upcoming draft the strength at OT favors RT prospects.

3. I think the familarity with Cable, Carroll, the team, and the system makes him a solid fit for him and us. Again, not many teams run the ZBS or power running scheme that would utilize a mauling RT.

4. Breno is not only old but average at best with really no upside. I don't think there will be a high bid for him unless being on the market now generates interests in teams that are impatient to fill a need.

5. I think why the Seahawks would want him isn't just because they do need insurance at RT. But because they have a young O-Line and they could use a veteran presence to help set the tone much like McQuistan did in 2011. McQ much like Giacomini was athletically limited and average at best but he helped develop the younger guys by setting the example and playing with toughness and nastiness we saw over the years. I can see Giacomini being that kind of guy for us. Help us remember what it was to be despicable.

Seahawk

Reaction score
No, that guy would get a holding penalty on every other play.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The Big Russian signs a 1-year prove it deal during March. Beast Mode decides to come out of retirement for one year to help his old buddy prove it. Beast Mode runs it from the 1 to beat the Pats in SB LII, after amassing 116 yards on 23 carries. He wins the MVP and secures his place in the HOF. Both players retire at the end of the season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawk":3ubn5hnt said:

Did we only run 8 plays in 2013? Because he had only 4 holding penalties.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Copied from different thread, but applicable here as well:

chris98251":131vq0cm said:
Lineman that have back issues that make them miss 11 games I think it was that are paid to push and lift on the move 300 or 600 pounds of man flesh isn't a good bet.

Totally agreed. That's a tough situation.

That said, if he's out there post draft just lingering around, I would sign him for the vet minimum if for no other reason than to maybe imbue Gilliam and Fant with his unique brand of edginess. Gilliam in particular could afford a nasty influence. Even if Breno ultimately serves no value other than a camp body.

In that respect, it'd merely be win/win. Either he shakes the odds and is healthy enough (or good enough) to play and makes the team. Or he's not. And we cut him, absolving the cap hit and costing us nothing. And for 6+ weeks, maybe a needed bit of him rubs off on the guys that do make the team.

He'd be a guy I would advise we keep an eye on come late May/early June. Definitely after the deadline for qualifying for comp picks. Seattle has kicked tires with the likes of Eric Winston and Jahri Evans at this time too. So we do have a history of just this sort of thing. Breno probably offers more than either of those two did.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pass on Breno. Crap man, he was here 3 years ago. It's time to keep the youth going on the O-Line for the last half of RW's career. Draft an RT for Krist's sake.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Giacomini doesn't have to be the defacto starter, to make an impact. He's a veteran presence that will compete with any other body the Seahawks get for the position.

You can still sign Breno and go after other guys if you structure the contract right. Kind of like what the Seahawks did with Walsh and Broncos did with Okung. No guaranteed money but incentive based bonuses.

So if the interest for Breno isnt strong, and he wants to come back and compete on that type of contract. It's not going to hurt the team, he's a much more polished player than he was from '11 to '13. And most of his value isnt in his ability, but his mentality to play with an edge, with physicality, toughness, grit, nastiness, and to be the bully. To set that bar and hope that mindset becomes infectious throughout the young O-line we have.

Sure you can list the cons but he doesn't have to start to have value, his addition doesn't mean the Seahawks will stop looking to improve the position. And if by chance Ifedi gets moved to RT, Breno is a perfect guy to push him and get the best out of him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't get why some of the same people who complain of the Hawks OL do not want guys who are decent and know the system,We are talking experienced players that can speed up the learning process for guys like Fant ect and any rookies we get this year.

Threedee

Reaction score
My attitude is that if he isn't a current member of the Seahawks Oline, he's probably an upgrade.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ynqdn10 said:
Seahawk":2ynqdn10 said:

Yes, which makes winning the Super Bowl that year all the more amazing.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
chris98251":1vdyq3xe said:
good in the run game and loved his Unibrow Eyebrow mentality when it came to protecting or QB.

Startled a bunch of people at work laughing out loud at this.

Seahawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2lrnt7r5 said:
Hasselbeck":2lrnt7r5 said:
Seahawk":2lrnt7r5 said:

Yes, which makes winning the Super Bowl that year all the more amazing.

I'm not limiting my opinion of him to the year he was out half the season with a knee injury.
It just seemed to me that any time somebody other than Lynch was running the ball, he would purposely hold so as to protect Lynch. That's the impression I get from him. Christine M. would make a 20 yard run and it would get erased by a Breno holding penalty.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":je6lh8t3 said:
Giacomini doesn't have to be the defacto starter, to make an impact. He's a veteran presence that will compete with any other body the Seahawks get for the position.

You can still sign Breno and go after other guys if you structure the contract right. Kind of like what the Seahawks did with Walsh and Broncos did with Okung. No guaranteed money but incentive based bonuses.

So if the interest for Breno isnt strong, and he wants to come back and compete on that type of contract. It's not going to hurt the team, he's a much more polished player than he was from '11 to '13. And most of his value isnt in his ability, but his mentality to play with an edge, with physicality, toughness, grit, nastiness, and to be the bully. To set that bar and hope that mindset becomes infectious throughout the young O-line we have.

Sure you can list the cons but he doesn't have to start to have value, his addition doesn't mean the Seahawks will stop looking to improve the position. And if by chance Ifedi gets moved to RT, Breno is a perfect guy to push him and get the best out of him.

I also believe that a consistency may be had if he has to step in for an injury. The incentive deal kinda appeals to me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having the "big Russian" back but at the right price, which would be an incentive laced contract.

His recent back issue would concern me.