Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

McCloughan out of a job again

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
McCloughan out of a job again
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:43 am
  • http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rep ... li=BBnb7Kz

Not a deadskin fan. Scot needs to get some real help.
    Last edited by Seafan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Re: McCloughan up to old tricks
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 am
  • An alcoholic who decides he'll just drink beer and stay away from hard liquor is never going to be able to stay sober for long.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:30 am
  • I won't complain if he ends up back in our front office.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:03 am
  • HawkFan72 wrote:I won't complain if he ends up back in our front office.

Yeah, he could legally switch to weed.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am
  • I speculated a relapse in a Redskins fan site the day it was reported that he was barred from the media. And got naturally excoriated for it as irresponsible speculation. I had hoped that it was something else entirely. But it increasingly appears that may not have been the case.

It's sad. But also a fact of post recovery life. The spectre of relapse always looms over 'personal issues' related incidents. That's just the nature of the affliction.

Most of us have a low functional alcoholic or addict in our families or circle of friends. Probably most of us have more than one. And when it comes to personal issues or problems, possible relapse is always the conversation starter.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:44 am

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 am
  • Been there, done that. I read an article on him when he was home "getting better" and studying players. But he never took responsibility for his drinking or even admitted that he was an alcoholic. That's pretty much a death knell for a "problem drinker."

Ball clubs giving him a job before he really gets sober are irresponsible and only prolonging the problem. He's nowhere near bottom, and he's either going to get there, or die trying.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 am
  • So we have a report from the team indicating the man has been sent home with speculation he may have relapsed. We have a number of people buying that.

And then we have the realization that this is Dan Snyder....

McCloughan may indeed have relapsed. He may also be getting the business end of Dan Snyder's abusive ownership tactics
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:38 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:So we have a report from the team indicating the man has been sent home with speculation he may have relapsed. We have a number of people buying that.

And then we have the realization that this is Dan Snyder....

McCloughan may indeed have relapsed. He may also be getting the business end of Dan Snyder's abusive ownership tactics

He could very well be on the business end of being the one sane person not wanting to pay Kirk Cousins.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 pm
  • Close family member dies, Scot relapses in depression, cover up at Redskins headquarters and they send him home to get straightened out, say due to death in family which is not a lie nor maybe the whole truth.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Close family member dies, Scot relapses in depression, cover up at Redskins headquarters and they send him home to get straightened out, say due to death in family which is not a lie nor maybe the whole truth.

Read the articles I posted...

"close" family member was his 100 year old grandmother... he says he wanted the time to be with family. Redskins sent him home and then "leaked" potential drinking
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:28 pm
  • I'm positive the guy relapsed. No way the Redskins dump their best talent evaluator during the combine unless there's something there. He has a history of doing exactly this, being really good for awhile, premier talent evaluator, promises "all that is behind me now" and gets hired by someone who is more desperate then the team that last fired him.

His G'ma died a month ago. So that's not the reason they sent him home. I'm a gratefully recovering alcoholic, and when you've been around this shit for decades, the signs stand out like beacons. He never took responsibility for his drinking, or the problems he caused with teams (49ers) because of it.

Before the skins hired him, he convinced someone to interview him at his home on the west coast, and the whole thing was about him watching film, pointing to "good players and that guy's not that good." So that some sucker would read the article and say "Hey! Sounds like this guy got his shit together! And he's really smart!"

I hope he gets well, but there are too many people out there that want to take advantage of his skills, so they overlook things, only to have it blow up in their face.

I could be wrong, for his sake, I hope he's sober, but I just don't see it. I've seen too many of my friends do that exact same things, and some of them never recovered.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:27 pm
  • Now he's fired.

Bring him in for the draft. A temp contractor.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
  • Seafan wrote:Now he's fired.

If this is due to alcohol, a football facility isn't the type of facility that he should be heading to
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:36 pm
  • kobebryant wrote:
    Seafan wrote:Now he's fired.

If this is due to alcohol, a football facility isn't the type of facility that he should be heading to

No, no alcohol involved, it's the Redskins remember what happened to Zorn also, Snyder can't keep his hands off stuff and when players run past the GM to his office it kind of misrepresents their position.

The no alcohol was an article earlier today I read, but the guy above Scot was pulling strings just like before.

And yes bring him back as a consultant or something, he can evaluate the hell out of players.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:50 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:
    Seafan wrote:Now he's fired.

No, no alcohol involved, it's the Redskins remember what happened to Zorn also, Snyder can't keep his hands off stuff and when players run past the GM to his office it kind of misrepresents their position.

The no alcohol was an article earlier today I read, but the guy above Scot was pulling strings just like before.

And yes bring him back as a consultant or something, he can evaluate the hell out of players.

I want him in our war room versus being out there helping another team.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:59 pm
  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm
  • Snyder and Allen never cease to amaze me. Losers. Since I dislike that team A LOT this makes me happy.

Scot tried to steer them right and they have worked really hard to mess up their QB situation. They are the biggest losers in free agency every year. No owner has done more harm to the NFL salary structure than Snyder.

Snyder finally made a hire that made sense in McCloughan and they screwed the pooch. They deserve to suck and in the NFCE they are going to finish dead last this year.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm
  • Unnamed source saying he has been drunk and a problem for 18 months also, the famous unnamed source trying to save the Skins the balance of the contract they owe him for just cause.

After the way they have handled almost every hire since Snyder took over I would side with Scot on this one, players and others saying he has been fine the whole time, one person throwing out accusations.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Dan Snyder says its ok to be racist, but not drunk.

Bring him in.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Re: McCloughan out of a job again
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:28 pm
  • And now they also have a starting quarterback they've alienated and is going to take his big franchise money and run after one more season. YOU LIKE THAT?!
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 am
  • So, honest question:

The 'personal reasons' he resigned from his post with the Seahawks - were they the same reasons he left a similar position in SF? Did Seattle & SF let him go with a bit of dignity, rather than what's happened here? (The assumption being those 'personal reasons' are the same reason he's been fired now.)
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:44 am
  • uncle fester wrote:So, honest question:

The 'personal reasons' he resigned from his post with the Seahawks - were they the same reasons he left a similar position in SF? Did Seattle & SF let him go with a bit of dignity, rather than what's happened here? (The assumption being those 'personal reasons' are the same reason he's been fired now.)

FTA: McCloughan left San Francisco after the 2009 season for the same reason he's leaving Seattle now, to tend to a private matter.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-lose-key-executive-scot-mccloughan-to-resignation/

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:21 am
  • uncle fester wrote:So, honest question:

Do you want the press release answer?

Then no.

Schneider and McCloughan go way back and were close. There is no way he would torpedo his career by making any reference to firing him for cause.

Let's just say this. He drinks. All the time. At work. Has been to rehab on more than one occasion. Admits freely to alcohol abuse. And not atypical of alcoholics, feels he can drink every day even at work and it doesn't affect him.

And his last three jobs he resigned executive level positions for 'family reasons'. The first one -- yeah I could see that. That was his wife divorcing him because of his long term alcohol abuse. The last two? Not buying it.

It's very easy to speculate that it was for cause.

That said, he's still one of the best in the business even if he's three sheets to the wind. I don't know if his alcoholism damaged his relationship with John beyond repair. From the outside -- not having to deal with the ramifications of his substance abuse -- I would welcome his football talent.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 am
  • drrew wrote:An alcoholic who decides he'll just drink beer and stay away from hard liquor is never going to be able to stay sober for long.

Seeing as how you can get just as drunk on beer as you can on liquor, I'd have to agree.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 am
  • Dan Snyder is such a fanboy owner. History of overpaying big name players on downside of their career. And just screws up everything he touches. So glad he's not our owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:06 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    uncle fester wrote:So, honest question:

Then no.

Schneider and McCloughan go way back and were close. There is no way he would torpedo his career by making any reference to firing him for cause.

Let's just say this. He drinks. All the time. At work. Has been to rehab on more than one occasion. Admits freely to alcohol abuse. And not atypical of alcoholics, feels he can drink every day even at work and it doesn't affect him.

And his last three jobs he resigned executive level positions for 'family reasons'. The first one -- yeah I could see that. That was his wife divorcing him because of his long term alcohol abuse. The last two? Not buying it.

That said, he's still one of the best in the business even if he's three sheets to the wind. I don't know if his alcoholism damaged his relationship with John beyond repair. From the outside -- not having to deal with the ramifications of his substance abuse -- I would welcome his football talent.

Wish we had a "like" button. Agree whole heartedly with your post. The Hawks need another infusion of his draft input. It is now obvious mister positive everything (PC) is not the guy to choose NFL talent in the draft other than D backs. Especially on the O line, witch in this draft is a huge position of need, Sorry glass half full, love everything positive PC spews guy, that's not reality. Not in our menial middle class lives and especially not in the realm of super star athlete that have to perform on day one because of the weight of their draft status. The guy is one of the best at what he does for a living, let him do his job. He isn't drunk driving, or getting in fights or beating up a girlfriend. Why is the media witch hunt condemning him? So what, he drinks to much. Has he broken any laws? The PC police are out of control. Some one who sucks at their job gets a free pass as just sucking, but a guy that pours his lifeblood in to it but has a drinking problem is a villain and should be shunned? If you are one the few that are best at what you dop, you get some leeway. If your not in the upper echelon at what you do, whether your intoxicated or not, it doesn't change the fact your not good at your job.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:18 pm
  • It's actually funny, Sonny Jergenson was one of the historically biggest drinkers in the league and partier.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:26 pm
  • He's obviously good at what he does but not sure we can trust him to keep straight. Alcoholism is just nasty like that. I know this because I'm similar and have lost multiple jobs because of it and skipped opportunities to move up via my skill set because of the risk. I prefer be in lower pressure situations with much less money because even though my skills allow opportunities with nice money I pretty much know I would screw it up somehow because I drink at the level of functional alcoholic like him and if in a job with more responsibility.

He could be awesome at his job if you let him drink and don't add more responsibility or more jobs. Just let him do exactly what he was hired for and t think he may be successful long term. Remember though you're talking with a guy that is exactly like him with his exact problem so it's your risk, not his or mine.
    Last edited by Josea16 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:28 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:It's actually funny, Sonny Jergenson was one of the historically biggest drinkers in the league and partier.

Exactly true but it isn't 1950-60 and serious money is involved in the equation now. So the guys that write the checks are all about performance and hate the bullshit.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:00 am
  • Josea16 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's actually funny, Sonny Jergenson was one of the historically biggest drinkers in the league and partier.

Exactly true but it isn't 1950-60 and serious money is involved in the equation now. So the guys that write the checks are all about performance and hate the bullshit.

Money is relative, average income in the 70's was 9000 a year now it's 56,000, as far as performance he was doing that. It's the Redskins which is Allen and Snyder, anyone that is smarter or goes against the grain there is gone, the bodies strewn around are those of Icons of football in coaching and playing. Has been that way since Snyder bought them.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:26 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's actually funny, Sonny Jergenson was one of the historically biggest drinkers in the league and partier.

Money is relative, average income in the 70's was 9000 a year now it's 56,000, as far as performance he was doing that. It's the Redskins which is Allen and Snyder, anyone that is smarter or goes against the grain there is gone, the bodies strewn around are those of Icons of football in coaching and playing. Has been that way since Snyder bought them.

Chris, I'm trying to tell you alcoholism is bad and insidious you never know the tipping point until your dead. Chris, I drink trust me ok?

Even I know he has an issue. Think about it.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    uncle fester wrote:So, honest question:

Then no.

Thanks for the clarification. Given some things I've also read since asking this question it would seem that John may distance himself from him this time around. Clearly a great talent being squandered though.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:44 am
  • i could imagine pete bringing him in for a talk and saying something like, 'look man, you can smoke all the weed you want but you gotta quit the hooch'.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:43 pm
  • Want him back in a limited role if possible. Guy can sit home and watch tape for all I care because his input will make the team better. Don't allow him to create liability for the team (driving to work and such), but let him do what he does best and evaluate players.
    sam1313
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:32 pm
  • Interesting, he told Mike Rob he hasn't touched a drink in awhile and that the real issue was that Bruce Allen had a problem with him.

This is an article about Mike Rob (giving a radio interview) talking about his conversion with Scot

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/forme ... 59989.html
    LolaRox
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 am
  • LolaRox wrote:Interesting, he told Mike Rob he hasn't touched a drink in awhile and that the real issue was that Bruce Allen had a problem with him.

This is an article about Mike Rob (giving a radio interview) talking about his conversion with Scot

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/forme ... 59989.html

Scot should be brought back with open arms, after all it's the damn Redskins, nobody has been able to get along with Allen and or Snyder, EVER.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 am

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information