Aiken released: The end of Jermaine Kearse?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Per Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole, Seattle is among “roughly 6 teams” (can a number ever be “rough” if it’s as low and precise as six?) interested in Aiken, who is set to be a free agent this week. They were designated by Cole as one of the three strongest candidates alongside the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills

If this move were to happen, would that spell the end for one of the most clutch catchers in recent Seahawks memory?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/3/6/1483 ... om-seattle

getnasty

Reaction score
No thank you, if you haven't been able to snag a spot in Baltimore there's no room for him here.

2_0_6

Reaction score
No thanks. If we cut Kearse I would rather take a flier on Brandon Marshall.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Aiken is slow and was the 5th WR on the Ravens depth chart. I know Kearse would be the same on any other team but here but Aiken is not an upgrade.

Mexi

Reaction score
Aiken had a pretty good rookie season. And no to Marshall. smh

Seafan

Reaction score
I don't believe that report. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks move on from Kearse but that will be because he falls on the depth chart not because the Hawks think they need to upgrade the position.

sutz

Reaction score
Given our current talent and depth at WR, I would be surprised if we brought in a Free Agent, especially one who would start out at the bottom of the depth chart.

It wouldn't surprise me if we draft a WR or two. I've been accused at times of being a "Kearse defender." I'm not sure what that means, but I'll say it right now. If Kearse gets played off the team by some other young WR, I'll gladly say "Thanks for all the hard work and good luck in your future after the Seahawks" to him.

That's an IF. ;)

Hendo66

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind seeing Kearse put out there as trade bait. Either the draft or FA.
I know his contract is probably a bit much but there's going to be a lot of $ thrown around.
Same for Lane.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No.

Just look at the contract and you'll know. Kearse is on this team in 2017

ivotuk

Reaction score
I appreciate that the author of the article is speculating Seattle is involved, but it's a stretch, and this really has nothing to do with Seattle, or Jermaine Kearse.

drrew

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3ot7qrx8 said:
No.

We need people to keep saying this so the question quits being brought up.

Although I've changed my mind from saying he definitely won't be cut to saying he wouldn't be cut for anything other than an UDFA on a minimum salary deal who clearly beats him out.

That replacement would only cost the team a net of $100k on the cap.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Hendo66":2tb9i899 said:
Wouldn't mind seeing Kearse put out there as trade bait. Either the draft or FA.
I know his contract is probably a bit much but there's going to be a lot of $ thrown around.
Same for Lane.

Kearse wouldn't even garner a 7th round pick in a trade. His salary is far too high for someone who makes 2 or 3 big catches per year.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Kearse can drop just as many passes for a lower cap hit than Aiken.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
drrew":2agvtwns said:
Attyla the Hawk":2agvtwns said:
No.

We need people to keep saying this so the question quits being brought up.

Although I've changed my mind from saying he definitely won't be cut to saying he wouldn't be cut for anything other than an UDFA on a minimum salary deal who clearly beats him out.

That replacement would only cost the team a net of $100k on the cap.

That is true. Although minimum salary deal is (or was last season) $450k. But the point is legit.

It's also may not all that far fetched. This is a sneaky good WR class this year. Not at the alpha top 50 overall range. But in the 75-200 range there are a lot of intriguing options. This draft is pretty athletic, with probably 25 prospects who will test at better than the NFL average. And there are still individual pro days to add to that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Have save the hate for Kearse to be replaced by the next F.A. draft pick or rumor mill player.