Cleveland Browns pull off best value trade ......

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839937960103530499[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Just read same thing here.

How big a mistake did the Texans make when they signed Brock Osweiler last year? So big that they’re giving up a second-round draft pick to get out from under his contract.

Osweiler is being shipped to Cleveland, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. The compensation? The Texans have to give the Browns a 2018 second-round draft pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick. The Browns ship a 2017 fourth-round pick to Houston.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Lol beat me to it
Apparently the Texans will free up 10 million in cap space too.
What a terrible signing that was

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hue Jackson is an idiot. This guy wasted a time out in the Senior Bowl trying to copy Fox, the HC on the other side. John fox wouldn't even acknowledge him as Hue was looking across the field with a thumbs up wanting approval.

Largent80

Reaction score
I live near Houston and the sigh of relief can be heard all over Texas. Personally I don't care much but I do root for them when they aren't playing Seattle.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Holy crap. when I read it, I didn't realize it was Cleveland getting the second round pick. Oh my gosh, that's hilarious. Great move by Cleveland. They have tons of cap room, they get a second round pick and they weren't going to be relevant until long after Osweiler's career is over anyway.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hilarious how awful that signing last year was. Well not if you're a Texans fan... Can't afford to keep good players, have to lose a 2nd round pick just to ship him off. DeAndre Hopkins must be thrilled.

Watching him play against the Pats in the playoffs was one of the worst outings I've ever seen. Only check downs, throws straight at receivers knees, no pocket awareness. He threw an absolute duck interception at the end and blew up on the sidelines like it was the receivers fault.

replicant

Reaction score
Ha. Is this a joke?

BREAKING: Brock Osweiler retires
NewsNFLBy SportsPickle on March 9, 2017
Brock OsweilerCleveland Browns

CLEVELAND – New Cleveland Browns quarterback Brock Osweiler has announced his retirement, ending his career at age 26 and with more than $50 million remaining on his contract.

“After careful thought and consideration in the several moments after I was informed I was traded to the Browns, I have decided I will move on with the rest of my life,” Osweiler posted in a series of tweets. “We only have so much time on this planet, and I don’t want to spend any of the years I have on the Cleveland Browns, no matter how much I am being paid. Money is not everything. Thank you to the Browns for wanting me when no one else did, but no.”

The Browns acquired Osweiler on Thursday afternoon from the Texans along with a 2nd Round pick in 2018 by simply agreeing to pay his remaining salary after a season in which he struggled mightily on the field and was benched. But now Cleveland will not have to pay any of it due to Osweiler suddenly ending his career.

“I hoped for big things for Brock here in Cleveland,” said head coach Hue Jackson. “But I understand his decision. He retires as one of the greatest Cleveland Browns quarterbacks of all-time.”

http://sportspickle.com/news/breaking-b ... tires.html

mikeak

Reaction score
1) Houston will be a top 6 team now after they sign Romo

2) that means their 2nd round pick is at the bottom of the 2nd round and the 4th round they get is the first pick of the 4th round. Then you add getting a 4th now giving up a 2nd next year that drops the value one round by value of draft picks so basically this pick is a wash. Then they give up a 6th round pick..........

Very cheap to shed that much

3) The league will now have an issue. What will stop teams from signing a guy for $40 million signing bonus, minimum salary and then trading him for a 1st round pick? You eat the signing bonus as the team that signed him and someone just traded for a superstar with no real cost to the salary cap.......

replicant

Reaction score
Yeah it's got to be a joke.

Last line of the article I posted:

“I hoped for big things for Brock here in Cleveland,” said head coach Hue Jackson. “But I understand his decision. He retires as one of the greatest Cleveland Browns quarterbacks of all-time.”

mikeak

Reaction score
replicant":1kdyklus said:
Yeah it's got to be a joke.

Last line of the article I posted:

Well there is a high likelihood that he will be undefeated as a Cleveland Brown QB..........

WmHBonney

Reaction score
mikeak":lvdq7fox said:

2) that means their 2nd round pick is at the bottom of the 2nd round and the 4th round they get is the first pick of the 4th round. Then you add getting a 4th now giving up a 2nd next year that drops the value one round by value of draft picks so basically this pick is a wash. Then they give up a 6th round pick..........

3) The league will now have an issue. What will stop teams from signing a guy for $40 million signing bonus, minimum salary and then trading him for a 1st round pick? You eat the signing bonus as the team that signed him and someone just traded for a superstar with no real cost to the salary cap.......

Romo won't make it half a season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1dvypeqo said:
mikeak":1dvypeqo said:

Romo won't make it half a game.

There fixed it for ya.
8)

endzorn

Reaction score
I love this trade for Cleveland. This helps them avoid the CBA spending floor and nets them some young talent. They can trade osweiler to a needy team for another pick and keep adding to their pool of draft choices. The Browns are doing this in a wildly unconventional way but it's very interesting to watch. I'd be curious to hear who initiated that deal.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Yeah it's a great trade but it's Cleveland so they will waste those draft picks on garbage like always.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Vpk0718":bccdma49 said:
Yeah it's a great trade but it's Cleveland so they will waste those draft picks on garbage like always.

Their drafts have improved beginning last year with new GM. They're quietly adding quite a bit of talent. Until they get a QB though they are going to be middling.

If they draft equally well this year as last, they could be an attractive older veteran UFA destination.

Chapow

Reaction score
mikeak":i0731j5z said:

Romo will be 37 in April and has only started in 4 games over the past 2 seasons and none last season. He has had 3 serious injuries in the past 2 years, shoulder, collarbone, and back. I have serious doubts that he's going to be the same QB he was prior to those injuries and missing almost 2 years of football now at 37 years old.

They better hope they have a decent back up plan, because relying on Romo at this point in his career is awfully damn risky.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Rumor has it the Browns are looking at just cutting him loose, which essentially means they're trading cap space for a 2nd rounder. If I were Cleveland, I'd look for a trade partner who'd give up a 7th rounder for Osweiler while Cleveland eats the contract. I mean, that'd be a 2nd, a 6th, and a 7th for a 4th. That's highway robbery.

Latest posts