Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cleveland Browns pull off best value trade ......

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Last edited by Jville on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Re: Best value trade ?
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:49 pm
  • Just read same thing here.

How big a mistake did the Texans make when they signed Brock Osweiler last year? So big that they’re giving up a second-round draft pick to get out from under his contract.

Osweiler is being shipped to Cleveland, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. The compensation? The Texans have to give the Browns a 2018 second-round draft pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick. The Browns ship a 2017 fourth-round pick to Houston.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Lol beat me to it
    Apparently the Texans will free up 10 million in cap space too.
    What a terrible signing that was
    Why Not Us?
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Hue Jackson is an idiot. This guy wasted a time out in the Senior Bowl trying to copy Fox, the HC on the other side. John fox wouldn't even acknowledge him as Hue was looking across the field with a thumbs up wanting approval.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• I live near Houston and the sigh of relief can be heard all over Texas. Personally I don't care much but I do root for them when they aren't playing Seattle.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Holy crap. when I read it, I didn't realize it was Cleveland getting the second round pick. Oh my gosh, that's hilarious. Great move by Cleveland. They have tons of cap room, they get a second round pick and they weren't going to be relevant until long after Osweiler's career is over anyway.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Hilarious how awful that signing last year was. Well not if you're a Texans fan... Can't afford to keep good players, have to lose a 2nd round pick just to ship him off. DeAndre Hopkins must be thrilled.

Watching him play against the Pats in the playoffs was one of the worst outings I've ever seen. Only check downs, throws straight at receivers knees, no pocket awareness. He threw an absolute duck interception at the end and blew up on the sidelines like it was the receivers fault.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Ha. Is this a joke?

BREAKING: Brock Osweiler retires
    NewsNFLBy SportsPickle on March 9, 2017
    Brock OsweilerCleveland Browns

CLEVELAND – New Cleveland Browns quarterback Brock Osweiler has announced his retirement, ending his career at age 26 and with more than $50 million remaining on his contract.

“After careful thought and consideration in the several moments after I was informed I was traded to the Browns, I have decided I will move on with the rest of my life,” Osweiler posted in a series of tweets. “We only have so much time on this planet, and I don’t want to spend any of the years I have on the Cleveland Browns, no matter how much I am being paid. Money is not everything. Thank you to the Browns for wanting me when no one else did, but no.”

The Browns acquired Osweiler on Thursday afternoon from the Texans along with a 2nd Round pick in 2018 by simply agreeing to pay his remaining salary after a season in which he struggled mightily on the field and was benched. But now Cleveland will not have to pay any of it due to Osweiler suddenly ending his career.

“I hoped for big things for Brock here in Cleveland,” said head coach Hue Jackson. “But I understand his decision. He retires as one of the greatest Cleveland Browns quarterbacks of all-time.”

http://sportspickle.com/news/breaking-b ... tires.html
    replicant
    NET Rookie

• 1) Houston will be a top 6 team now after they sign Romo

2) that means their 2nd round pick is at the bottom of the 2nd round and the 4th round they get is the first pick of the 4th round. Then you add getting a 4th now giving up a 2nd next year that drops the value one round by value of draft picks so basically this pick is a wash. Then they give up a 6th round pick..........

Very cheap to shed that much

3) The league will now have an issue. What will stop teams from signing a guy for $40 million signing bonus, minimum salary and then trading him for a 1st round pick? You eat the signing bonus as the team that signed him and someone just traded for a superstar with no real cost to the salary cap.......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Yeah it's got to be a joke.

Last line of the article I posted:

“I hoped for big things for Brock here in Cleveland,” said head coach Hue Jackson. “But I understand his decision. He retires as one of the greatest Cleveland Browns quarterbacks of all-time.”
    replicant
    NET Rookie

• replicant wrote:Yeah it's got to be a joke.

Last line of the article I posted:

Well there is a high likelihood that he will be undefeated as a Cleveland Brown QB..........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:1) Houston will be a top 6 team now after they sign Romo

2) that means their 2nd round pick is at the bottom of the 2nd round and the 4th round they get is the first pick of the 4th round. Then you add getting a 4th now giving up a 2nd next year that drops the value one round by value of draft picks so basically this pick is a wash. Then they give up a 6th round pick..........

3) The league will now have an issue. What will stop teams from signing a guy for $40 million signing bonus, minimum salary and then trading him for a 1st round pick? You eat the signing bonus as the team that signed him and someone just traded for a superstar with no real cost to the salary cap.......

Romo won't make it half a season.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• WmHBonney wrote:
    mikeak wrote:1) Houston will be a top 6 team now after they sign Romo

Romo won't make it half a game.

There fixed it for ya.
    8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I love this trade for Cleveland. This helps them avoid the CBA spending floor and nets them some young talent. They can trade osweiler to a needy team for another pick and keep adding to their pool of draft choices. The Browns are doing this in a wildly unconventional way but it's very interesting to watch. I'd be curious to hear who initiated that deal.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

• Yeah it's a great trade but it's Cleveland so they will waste those draft picks on garbage like always.
    Vpk0718
    NET Starter

• Vpk0718 wrote:Yeah it's a great trade but it's Cleveland so they will waste those draft picks on garbage like always.

Their drafts have improved beginning last year with new GM. They're quietly adding quite a bit of talent. Until they get a QB though they are going to be middling.

If they draft equally well this year as last, they could be an attractive older veteran UFA destination.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:1) Houston will be a top 6 team now after they sign Romo

Romo will be 37 in April and has only started in 4 games over the past 2 seasons and none last season. He has had 3 serious injuries in the past 2 years, shoulder, collarbone, and back. I have serious doubts that he's going to be the same QB he was prior to those injuries and missing almost 2 years of football now at 37 years old.

They better hope they have a decent back up plan, because relying on Romo at this point in his career is awfully damn risky.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• The Browns now have eight picks combined in the first two rounds of the 2017 and 2018 drafts.

WOW.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Rumor has it the Browns are looking at just cutting him loose, which essentially means they're trading cap space for a 2nd rounder. If I were Cleveland, I'd look for a trade partner who'd give up a 7th rounder for Osweiler while Cleveland eats the contract. I mean, that'd be a 2nd, a 6th, and a 7th for a 4th. That's highway robbery.
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• going to be weird seeing romos name on a different teams IR list...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Guy from Cleveland on a local radio show said to host that Cleveland was
    Looking to offload him and pay half his salary, and they are trying to get Jimmy G from
    NE. I like what they are doing, will it be successful? Time will tell.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• themunn wrote:
    The Browns now have eight picks combined in the first two rounds of the 2017 and 2018 drafts.

WOW.

That's a lot of wasted draft picks in the first two rounds.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• Mn what a disaster of a signing for the Texans. Pay all that money for a terrible QB, and then have to give away a draft pick just tobget rid of the guy without eating his salary.

The Browns essentially just bought a 2nd round pick with their massive amount of cap room.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Houston GM was fired, right?
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• So if the Browns just cut Brock, they pay $16 million for a second-round draft pick? Why does that not sound like a good deal to me?
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:So if the Browns just cut Brock, they pay $16 million for a second-round draft pick? Why does that not sound like a good deal to me?

They may be setting up a trade for Grappalo with picks also. It would be worth it to them considering the QB history there is they could land a Franchise QB, the Pats on the other hand are going to mild all those udders and come out of this with Brady's replacement when they want and who they want. Belichek will use the 1's and 2's he gets for Grappalo to position himself to get a QB he will target whether it's this year or next year or the year after.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Siouxhawk wrote:So if the Browns just cut Brock, they pay $16 million for a second-round draft pick? Why does that not sound like a good deal to me?

Yeah I don't get it either. They ahve to give up their 4th round pick too. So pretty much just moving up 1 round and absorbing the 16 million contract. It helps the brown try too meet the required salary cap spending. Seems really lazy then trying to find players that can actually help their team. I mean that's 16mill, they could have gotten some 1 year prove it players or maybe sign Pryor. I don't get why this is consider a genius move. Can someone explain.
    rcaido
    NET Rookie

• The Browns have over 100 million in cap space. The most space in the history of the salary cap. There is no way to spend all of that this season unless you're willing to significantly overpay for mediocre vets. Spending some of it on a high draft pick in a loaded draft makes a ton of sense.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• rcaido wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:So if the Browns just cut Brock, they pay $16 million for a second-round draft pick? Why does that not sound like a good deal to me?

Yeah I don't get it either. They ahve to give up their 4th round pick too. So pretty much just moving up 1 round and absorbing the 16 million contract. It helps the brown try too meet the required salary cap spending. Seems really lazy then trying to find players that can actually help their team. I mean that's 16mill, they could have gotten some 1 year prove it players or maybe sign Pryor. I don't get why this is consider a genius move. Can someone explain.

Exactly. Burn what they need to for salary cap requirements on ACTUAL players they can use. It seems to me like they're just throwing money away.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Superb move by Cleveland. Yes, it remains to be seen how the drafted players will turn out, but it's clear the people in the Front Office now at least know how to deal, rather than some previous incarnations.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• Also, really do want to see them turn it around with the next two drafts. The perennial doormat status need to be passed to someone else.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• rcaido wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:So if the Browns just cut Brock, they pay $16 million for a second-round draft pick? Why does that not sound like a good deal to me?

They have way to much cap space to spend. They also got a 6th round pick in the deal so they didnt just move up from the 4th to the 2nd.

Also spening 16 mil to get a draft pick that could be with you for yearsis better than wasting 16 mil on a 1 year deal for some aging vet when you arent anywhere close to being good anyway. This is a build for the future move, youre suggesting a win now move which they have no chance of doing.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    rcaido wrote:

They have way to much cap space to spend. They also got a 6th round pick in the deal so they didnt just move up from the 4th to the 2nd.

Also spening 16 mil to get a draft pick that could be with you for yearsis better than wasting 16 mil on a 1 year deal for some aging vet when you arent anywhere close to being good anyway. This is a build for the future move, youre suggesting a win now move which they have no chance of doing.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-year deal for an up-and-comer, a guy they could have around as they build. I just believe that $16 million is way too much to pay for THE CHANCE to draft two players in the 2nd and 6th rounds.

I guess they could keep Osweiler as a backup to Kessler or whatever rookie they draft and waive RG3 to recoup some of that cash.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    rcaido wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-year deal for an up-and-comer, a guy they could have around as they build. I just believe that $16 million is way too much to pay for THE CHANCE to draft two players in the 2nd and 6th rounds.

I guess they could keep Osweiler as a backup to Kessler or whatever rookie they draft and waive RG3 to recoup some of that cash.

But they werent going to use all that money anyway, atleast on useful players. Theyd have to go out and throw stupid money at everyone to sniff that 100 million they have to use. They just bought a pick with what was going to be unused cash.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• ^ They don't have to spend it this year. The unused cap rolls over

There are rules on how much you have to spend but it takes multiple years into account. No idea what the real number Cleveland HAS to spend but it is NOT $100 million.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• That's what I was thinking too. But even if they were forced to spend, why not go nuts in the free agent market and give a lot of that money up front and bring in key players like Buoye, DeSean and maybe even offer huge deals to Hightower or Calais Campbell when they had the chance? Jacksonville seems to be doing this. God knows they need talent on that roster.
    That said, I do understand that they also want to load up on draft picks for next year to land the quarterback who's supposed to be all the buzz. College guys help me out here.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• The real reason why is in this article - they are playing moneyball now. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1515 ... all-browns

They will load up in the draft and try to get a lot more value from draft picks than they would by paying someone $16million. The secondary reason is they rather get that value next year and in four year contracts than get a good guy now. It also helps them with better draft picks for next year whereas a decent player now will hurt their draft picks next year.....

Yesterday when I read about the deal I didn't like it. I like it more today as I understand the 4th round is at the end of the round and not beginning. Also if they do resign Osweiler converting a decent amount to signing bonus then they can trade him assuming he has say $4-$6million in annual salary. He is a serviceable backup. So if they do that they can probably get their 4th round pick back and save $4million-$6million so now they end up buying a second round pick for $10 million which is a LOT more palatable as a deal.....

Jacksonville has been spending like that for the past few years. If anything they are proving why Cleveland should not go that route.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Yes, if they keep him as a backup or trade him for either picks or contract burn, that is more palatable. But just waiving him and eating $16 million wouldn't be the route I'd go.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• I keep seeing this "go sign a bunch of free agents" talk. But Im just not seeing all these free agents that would be better for the Browns future than a 2nd round pick could be.

I do somewhat agree that keeping or trading Brock would be better than releasing him, however I still think that either way this is a good move for the Browns future. As long as they dont squander those picks on more Johny Manziels.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Browns eat the contract, and trade for Garoppolo. Osweiler becomes the 2nd GOAT leading Belichick to his record smashing 9th Super Bowl win. The rest of the NFL scratches their heads.
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• Either way this has to be a YUUUUUUUGE shot to Osweiler's ego.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:Yes, if they keep him as a backup or trade him for either picks or contract burn, that is more palatable. But just waiving him and eating $16 million wouldn't be the route I'd go.

What I heard on the radio is they will try to trade Brock for more picks and would be willing to
    Eat half of the 16 million. Don't know who it was but it sounded like some guy that was fairly close to the Browns org FWIW.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:Yes, if they keep him as a backup or trade him for either picks or contract burn, that is more palatable. But just waiving him and eating $16 million wouldn't be the route I'd go.

What I heard on the radio is they will try to trade Brock for more picks and would be willing to
    Eat half of the 16 million. Don't know who it was but it sounded like some guy that was fairly close to the Browns org FWIW.

But what sucker would pay him $8 million and give up even a 7th round pick for him at this point?
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information