Brock Coyle to the 49ers on a 1-year contract

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Not seeing any contract details yet. Only that it is a one-year deal. Guess the team really didn't want him back.

Kind of a shame. I liked the kid, being from Montana and all, and I thought he was a key contributor if not a critical starting piece. Best of luck.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
They must like what they see in this year's linebacker draft. I know Pete has intimated that he wants to draft a replacement for Wagner and/or Wright. Obviously Coyle was never going to push them for playing time.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yeah that's a bummer.
I guess the team thought he never filled that Heather Farwell role, or was looking to go on another direction.
His special teams play seemed solid imo

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Why would he need to draft a "replacement" for Wagner and Wright? Backups, sure...but replacements? Yikes.

Seymour

Reaction score
RockinHawks":2kisrf8z said:
Why would he need to draft a "replacement" for Wagner and Wright? Backups, sure...but replacements? Yikes.

Exactly. Something is not right there. Wags isn't going anywhere for some time.

rlkats

Reaction score
How is this Coyle kid. He has to be better that the ones we have besides Bowman

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Wright and Wagner have amassed a ton of playing time in the last few years. It's a lot of mileage and they aren't getting any younger. My take from Pete is that they are looking for someone to (A) start training as future replacements and (B) spell Bobby and K.J.

Wright has 2 more years before he is a UFA. Wagner has 3.

Can somebody explain why this was moved while the Hauschka thread has been on the main forum for over 36 hours? Confused

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
He's a solid backup, and a great special teams contributor. He is on the cusp of being starter quality, but I doubt he will ever be a full season LB starter on any NFL team.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Coyle: liability in coverage, very 'meh' in run fits, decent special-teamer, seemed like a good kid - but his production can be replaced with a phone call.

sutz

Reaction score
Seymour":3cqgqa8y said:
RockinHawks":3cqgqa8y said:

Exactly. Something is not right there. Wags isn't going anywhere for some time.
I don't think anybody is thinking of replacing them this year. But if you want someone to replace either one of those players in 2-3 years from now, best to start the search now so you can evaluate and coach them up. It will be hard to replace the athleticism and instincts, but you can coach up whatever you can.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Jerhawk":12occlt6 said:
Yeah that's a bummer.
I guess the team thought he never filled that Heather Farwell role, or was looking to go on another direction.

This is not meant to be a criticism, but was that a typo or did you really mean to write "Heather Farwell?"

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3dpfy6nl said:
Jerhawk":3dpfy6nl said:
Yeah that's a bummer.

This is not meant to be a criticism, but was that a typo or did you really mean to write "Heather Farwell?"

Haha omg thanks man...that would be auto correct on my phone. Lol...Heath not Heather

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
rlkats":nlc04sul said:
How is this Coyle kid. He has to be better that the ones we have besides Bowman

Slightly better than fringe of the roster. Decent special teams contributor. Not an asset in coverage and can be blocked easily in the run game from what I've seen.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I like Brock.

He's at an age where I don't blame him if he wants to take a shot at competing for more playing time, and that wasn't going to happen in a 4-3 where the MLB is Bobby Wagner.