Is Joe Thomas worth our 26?

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
I don't want to be that guy, that brings up the dead horse...but here I go...lol

In my view given Cleveland seems to really value draft picks right now, would it be worth our number 1 to get Joe Thomas. My fear is that we will draft another Ifedi, that needs a year or so...not good...rather have a proven vet!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":3afylejs said:
I don't want to be that guy, that brings up the dead horse...but here I go...lol

In my view given Cleveland seems to really value draft picks right now, would it be worth our number 1 to get Joe Thomas. My fear is that we will draft another Ifedi, that needs a year or so...not good...rather have a proven vet!

Its going to take more than our first to get Thomas.

But, whatever the price ... it's worth it.

Pipe dream, though.

OP
OP
S

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Throw in a Third/Fourth either this year or next. I just don't see getting a stud tackle at 26.

RussB

Reaction score
Absolutely, he is the best tackle in the whole NFL. I would even give up graham for him along with the pick.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every time someone brings up the fever dream of getting Joe Thomas, I'd be a rich man.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
So in this scenario lets say Seahawks trade Graham, #26 and #90 for Joe Thomas.

You save $8m on Graham, but take a dead cap hit of $2m. Which you absolutely have to move Graham to get Thomas.

The 32 year old Thomas costs $8.8m against the cap, if you want him to lower that, his new contract likely starts a cut above Russell Okung. I'd say 4 years, 58-60m is what it would cost.

So jettisoning Graham for Thomas in this scenario you pretty much gave up 2 first rounders (the one given up for Graham) and a 3rd rounder.

And you lose 2 choices in the top 100 in one of the deepest 2ndary drafts. Which if you paid attention to Mike Sando, the secondary was the one of the biggest culprits in losing games. Specifically, the amount of big plays given up plus lack of turnovers.

We kind of need to re-eninforce that DB unit with top tier talent considering Earl, Kam, and Dick all are moving towards 30 years old and only a couple of years left on thier deals.

RussB

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3auj97tt said:

You save $8m on Graham, but take a dead cap hit of $2m. Which you absolutely have to move Graham to get Thomas.

The 32 year old Thomas costs $8.8m against the cap, if you want him to lower that, his new contract likely starts a cut above Russell Okung. I'd say 4 years, 58-60m is what it would cost.

So jettisoning Graham for Thomas in this scenario you pretty much gave up 2 first rounders (the one given up for Graham) and a 3rd rounder.

And you lose 2 choices in the top 100 in one of the deepest 2ndary drafts. Which if you paid attention to Mike Sando, the secondary was the one of the biggest culprits in losing games. Specifically, the amount of big plays given up plus lack of turnovers.

We kind of need to re-eninforce that DB unit with top tier talent considering Earl, Kam, and Dick all are moving towards 30 years old and only a couple of years left on thier deals.
Secondary gave up big plays as a result of staying on the field too long. You cant expect the offense to go 3 and out almost the whole game and the secondary not to give up points, they will eventually give something up and that was the case the whole season. There was no run game and they couldnt move the ball downfield causing the secondary to play alot more than they had to almost every game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
No, Joe Thomas is a rent a player near the end of his peak playing days. It would be asinine to give up our 26th in such a good draft for a guy that is so old.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Joe Thomas will not come here, and neither will Tavaris.

I will be glad when these two names drop off this forum forever.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkFan72":160e9ybq said:
Why would the Browns trade Thomas when they just rebuilt their O-line around him?

You answered your own question.

The Browns.......

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not this year. Too much talent in the draft, and we have some gaping holes on defense still (namely at corner)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
RussB":341lz4pv said:
Pandion Haliaetus":341lz4pv said:

Secondary gave up big plays as a result of staying on the field too long. You cant expect the offense to go 3 and out almost the whole game and the secondary not to give up points, they will eventually give something up and that was the case the whole season. There was no run game and they couldnt move the ball downfield causing the secondary to play alot more than they had to almost every game.

This is something I use to believe and an easy reasoning, however the offense's TOP has changed nominally since 2012. IMHO, our defense has suffered because the teams turnover differential has dropped off and allows opposing teams to take their time and chip at us.

Our offense having such a poor TD to FG ratio in the redzone doesn't help either because it has allowed teams to stay in striking distance. Our defense is designed to avalanche teams. Cant do it without causing turnovers and scoring FGs.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Pipe dream maybe but with the xtra money next year from cutting Kearse I could see how we could make it work and get two more years to draft a young left tackle and get him ready for when Joe retires
They might even take Jimmy and a !st which would let us go draft heavy on D again
I'd do it , of course there's a lot of things I'd do that may not be good for me later :kool-aid:

Josea16

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bc6zoxs said:
If I had a nickel for every time someone brings up the fever dream of getting Joe Thomas, I'd be a rich man.
This. Last I heard the price started at 2 1st round picks. Good luck with that one.

penihawk

Reaction score
Pandion has this exactly right. Too much to give up for a player that will be 33 during the season and on the down slope of his career. If we were gonna pay out the nose for a renta-LT we should of signed Whitworth to the deal he got for no compensation. We all better get used to the idea that this OL is gonna be similar to last years and hope experience,continuity and better health will make our offense better than last years. As much as I would like to lay all the blame on them, the QB & RB's have to be healthier and play better this year regardless of what OL is out there.

Our defense is what has always made this team great and it was far from it last year. This draft could go a long way in fixing the back end and preparing it from being held cap hostage in a couple years when the stars start to exit the roster. I personally hope this draft is defense early and often and hope they can get back to being the big play D they once were. If they don't, we could trade for Dallas' OL and we still won't be playin in the game next Feb.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He'll be 33 this year. Giving up a first round draft pick for a guy that might play two or three more years seems imprudent. Especially considering the depth of this draft at positions of need like CB and LB.

titan3131

Reaction score
NO.

The only browns Olinemen I want to trade for is shon coleman. Kearse and Collins can go and a 6th rd pick IDGAF.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Josea16":11z9s2ej said:
MontanaHawk05":11z9s2ej said:
This. Last I heard the price started at 2 1st round picks. Good luck with that one.

Last year the scuttle was a 2nd rounder. Just a single 2nd rounder. Idk where people are getting these huge asks.

I don't know that he's even available anymore but the price isnt crazy if that still holds true and OTs aren't regular skill players, there abilities don't decline at the same rate, you'll see Joe go at least til 35-36 at top form and in that time you could find his replacement. There is little argument not to go after him if he were available at that price imo but if you get into the multiple picks talk then it's a little rich given our other needs.