Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Russ was hurt much of the season but the rookie backup wasn't seen as a playable option vs, a veteran free agent.

Kaepernick had more rushing yards (468) in 2016 than in 2012. Passing percentage of 59.2 is better than 2013. He is not a bad backup option, and as he's not exactly getting a bunch of calls, he might work for cheap.

Strictly football-wise, what do you guys think?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
notta chance...he sucks and then has all the drama as well...guess hes gonna stand up this year for the anthem...O Canada for him.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2ceq5rk6 said:
notta chance...he sucks and then has all the drama as well...guess hes gonna stand up this year for the anthem...O Canada for him.

"Strictly football wise"

Personally, I think he had a point and was well within his rights to do what he wants. The people reacting are the ones creating the drama.

I'd take a look at him as backup. Not every day you get a backup who's led a team to a Super Bowl. Speed, strong arm. I'd be okay with it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
As a backup, absolutely. Assuming his cap hit is similar to other options.

He's best friends with Ricardo Lockette and i believe is also friends with Kam.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":12897y8w said:
No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.

I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
We broke him. Why should we try to fix him?

;)

Largent80

Reaction score
He stinks. We have a great upstart UFA in Boykin that has a redshirt year under his belt. In my opinion we don't even need to address backup QB.

KPA

Reaction score
CK can't read defenses. When his #1 hot route is taken away, he begins to panic. This is indicated in his consistency of throws to the receivers not on the preferred route. I'm perfectly fine with Boykin staying as our backup. He knows the offense and has the tools to manage & be consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":846hvmdk said:
Sports Hernia":846hvmdk said:

I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.
I think you are not factoring in how bad Seattle's offensive line is/was and how hurt RW was all year.
IMHO the stats in that situation are a bit misleading. The posts that follow mine also point out a few flaws of CK.
There is a reason he is still unsigned and only a part of that has to do with kneeling for the NA.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

I would much rather keep Boykin.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I say no, and not for the reasons that most might think.

I think our current #2 is a lot better than most realize.
With the exception of his legal problems during his last year at TCU, I loved him. I think after this year's training camp, he will be very reliable @ #2 QB.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yes

Then play him in week 15-16 when we have the bye week locked up and raise his stock and get trade offers

Josea16

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zqpimd5s said:
Sports Hernia":zqpimd5s said:

I hate it when you get serious and stop spinning because you know your stuff. As for Keapernick? He isn't coming here because of money. He's destined for Cleveland, Houston, Denver, New York or
any other team with cap space and quarterback issues. And Boykin is a much better fit in our offense and knows the system and cheaper and actually damn good. :mrgreen:

uncle fester

Reaction score
Think Boykin has a cooler head under pressure on the field. Even in his prime, I was never really convinced Kaepernick had the same.

toffee

Reaction score
It's a matter of money, if we can afford him, ie at a very low price. We will be STUPID not to. Keapernick allows OC to use Wilson's playbook with minimum changes if and when he plays. Dude led a team to superbowl, ok, he regressed some but still serviceable. His main problems are mostly mental. Playing behind Wilson as backup will help him overcome those issues.

Having Wilson and Kaepernick could be like having Montana and Young. Hey, Young was a train wreck to some when Walsh signed him to the squad ... pissed off or motivated Montana. Resulting in super bowlS. Think about it.

Stupid not to.

In another 3 - 4 weeks, when no team offered to sign him, he will face either sitting out the season hoping to be picked up by some really really bad team in mid season or sign with a super bowl contender ie us. I think he will come cheap to us.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
toffee":xx2zgfo8 said:
It's a matter of money, if we can afford him, ie at a very low price. We will be STUPID not to. Keapernick allows OC to use Wilson's playbook with minimum changes if and when he plays. Dude led a team to superbowl, ok, he regressed some but still serviceable. His main problems are mostly mental. Playing behind Wilson as backup will help him overcome those issues.

Having Wilson and Kaepernick could be like having Montana and Young. Hey, Young was a train wreck to some when Walsh signed him to the squad ... pissed off or motivated Montana. Resulting in super bowlS. Think about it.

Stupid not to.

In another 3 - 4 weeks, when no team offered to sign him, he will face either sitting out the season hoping to be picked up by some really really bad team in mid season or sign with a super bowl contender ie us. I think he will come cheap to us.

I'm all for signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson, but let's wait a bit before equating them with Montana and Young...

mikeak

Reaction score
One concern is he would only sign a one year deal. So do we cut Boynkin or keep him for 2 years....

We won't be carrying 3qbs on the roster

evergreen

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":2i1kzfsc said:
toffee":2i1kzfsc said:

Stupid not to.

I'm all for signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson, but let's wait a bit before equating them with Montana and Young...

I think we waited too long... three years ago they were playing in the NFCCG and blowing up the standard idea of what an NFL QB was. Now after, both regressed, for different reasons, it' too late. Back in 2013 Wilson was awesome and Kap looked even better. Not so much now...

Status
Not open for further replies.