Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:22 am
  • Russ was hurt much of the season but the rookie backup wasn't seen as a playable option vs, a veteran free agent.

    Kaepernick had more rushing yards (468) in 2016 than in 2012. Passing percentage of 59.2 is better than 2013. He is not a bad backup option, and as he's not exactly getting a bunch of calls, he might work for cheap.

    Strictly football-wise, what do you guys think?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 am



  • notta chance...he sucks and then has all the drama as well...guess hes gonna stand up this year for the anthem...O Canada for him.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4162
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Cyrus12 wrote:notta chance...he sucks and then has all the drama as well...guess hes gonna stand up this year for the anthem...O Canada for him.


    "Strictly football wise"

    Personally, I think he had a point and was well within his rights to do what he wants. The people reacting are the ones creating the drama.

    I'd take a look at him as backup. Not every day you get a backup who's led a team to a Super Bowl. Speed, strong arm. I'd be okay with it.
    Image
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    User avatar
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • As a backup, absolutely. Assuming his cap hit is similar to other options.

    He's best friends with Ricardo Lockette and i believe is also friends with Kam.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    .NOW with Modership
     
    Posts: 5696
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


  • No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 21986
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Sports Hernia wrote:No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.


    I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

    Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

    It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

    It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4011
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • We broke him. Why should we try to fix him?

    ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16146
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • He stinks. We have a great upstart UFA in Boykin that has a redshirt year under his belt. In my opinion we don't even need to address backup QB.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34838
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 pm
  • CK can't read defenses. When his #1 hot route is taken away, he begins to panic. This is indicated in his consistency of throws to the receivers not on the preferred route. I'm perfectly fine with Boykin staying as our backup. He knows the offense and has the tools to manage & be consistent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    90% Disabled Veteran
    100% Love for the USA!
    User avatar
    KPA
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 281
    Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 am
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.


    I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

    Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

    It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

    It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.

    I think you are not factoring in how bad Seattle's offensive line is/was and how hurt RW was all year.
    IMHO the stats in that situation are a bit misleading. The posts that follow mine also point out a few flaws of CK.
    There is a reason he is still unsigned and only a part of that has to do with kneeling for the NA.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 21986
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

    I would much rather keep Boykin.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 751
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


  • I say no, and not for the reasons that most might think.


    I think our current #2 is a lot better than most realize.
    With the exception of his legal problems during his last year at TCU, I loved him. I think after this year's training camp, he will be very reliable @ #2 QB.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 15473
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • Yes

    Then play him in week 15-16 when we have the bye week locked up and raise his stock and get trade offers
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.


    I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

    Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

    It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

    It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.
    I hate it when you get serious and stop spinning because you know your stuff. As for Keapernick? He isn't coming here because of money. He's destined for Cleveland, Houston, Denver, New York or
    any other team with cap space and quarterback issues. And Boykin is a much better fit in our offense and knows the system and cheaper and actually damn good. :mrgreen:
    Josea16
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 505
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 am


  • Think Boykin has a cooler head under pressure on the field. Even in his prime, I was never really convinced Kaepernick had the same.
    User avatar
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1076
    Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:21 am


  • It's a matter of money, if we can afford him, ie at a very low price. We will be STUPID not to. Keapernick allows OC to use Wilson's playbook with minimum changes if and when he plays. Dude led a team to superbowl, ok, he regressed some but still serviceable. His main problems are mostly mental. Playing behind Wilson as backup will help him overcome those issues.

    Having Wilson and Kaepernick could be like having Montana and Young. Hey, Young was a train wreck to some when Walsh signed him to the squad ... pissed off or motivated Montana. Resulting in super bowlS. Think about it.

    Stupid not to.

    In another 3 - 4 weeks, when no team offered to sign him, he will face either sitting out the season hoping to be picked up by some really really bad team in mid season or sign with a super bowl contender ie us. I think he will come cheap to us.
    toffee
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 73
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • toffee wrote:It's a matter of money, if we can afford him, ie at a very low price. We will be STUPID not to. Keapernick allows OC to use Wilson's playbook with minimum changes if and when he plays. Dude led a team to superbowl, ok, he regressed some but still serviceable. His main problems are mostly mental. Playing behind Wilson as backup will help him overcome those issues.

    Having Wilson and Kaepernick could be like having Montana and Young. Hey, Young was a train wreck to some when Walsh signed him to the squad ... pissed off or motivated Montana. Resulting in super bowlS. Think about it.

    Stupid not to.

    In another 3 - 4 weeks, when no team offered to sign him, he will face either sitting out the season hoping to be picked up by some really really bad team in mid season or sign with a super bowl contender ie us. I think he will come cheap to us.


    I'm all for signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson, but let's wait a bit before equating them with Montana and Young...
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 488
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am


  • One concern is he would only sign a one year deal. So do we cut Boynkin or keep him for 2 years....

    We won't be carrying 3qbs on the roster
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Kennedyin92 wrote:
    toffee wrote:It's a matter of money, if we can afford him, ie at a very low price. We will be STUPID not to. Keapernick allows OC to use Wilson's playbook with minimum changes if and when he plays. Dude led a team to superbowl, ok, he regressed some but still serviceable. His main problems are mostly mental. Playing behind Wilson as backup will help him overcome those issues.

    Having Wilson and Kaepernick could be like having Montana and Young. Hey, Young was a train wreck to some when Walsh signed him to the squad ... pissed off or motivated Montana. Resulting in super bowlS. Think about it.

    Stupid not to.

    In another 3 - 4 weeks, when no team offered to sign him, he will face either sitting out the season hoping to be picked up by some really really bad team in mid season or sign with a super bowl contender ie us. I think he will come cheap to us.


    I'm all for signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson, but let's wait a bit before equating them with Montana and Young...


    I think we waited too long... three years ago they were playing in the NFCCG and blowing up the standard idea of what an NFL QB was. Now after, both regressed, for different reasons, it' too late. Back in 2013 Wilson was awesome and Kap looked even better. Not so much now...
    User avatar
    evergreen
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 435
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:56 pm


  • Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34838
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.


    I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

    Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

    It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

    It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.

    I think you are not factoring in how bad Seattle's offensive line is/was and how hurt RW was all year.
    IMHO the stats in that situation are a bit misleading. The posts that follow mine also point out a few flaws of CK.
    There is a reason he is still unsigned and only a part of that has to do with kneeling for the NA.


    No, it mostly has to do with his politics.

    Read the article by Mike Freeman. Kap would have a starting job most likely, even at a reduced price.

    If he can't even get a backup job, it strictly is politics.

    Turn the Niner hatred off for a second. He would win games with a few stacked teams in this league, easily.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1283
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • Largent80 wrote:Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.


    Again, politics.

    If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again.

    Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk.

    Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1283
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • evergreen wrote:
    Kennedyin92 wrote:
    toffee wrote:It's a matter of money, if we can afford him, ie at a very low price. We will be STUPID not to. Keapernick allows OC to use Wilson's playbook with minimum changes if and when he plays. Dude led a team to superbowl, ok, he regressed some but still serviceable. His main problems are mostly mental. Playing behind Wilson as backup will help him overcome those issues.

    Having Wilson and Kaepernick could be like having Montana and Young. Hey, Young was a train wreck to some when Walsh signed him to the squad ... pissed off or motivated Montana. Resulting in super bowlS. Think about it.

    Stupid not to.

    In another 3 - 4 weeks, when no team offered to sign him, he will face either sitting out the season hoping to be picked up by some really really bad team in mid season or sign with a super bowl contender ie us. I think he will come cheap to us.


    I'm all for signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson, but let's wait a bit before equating them with Montana and Young...


    I think we waited too long... three years ago they were playing in the NFCCG and blowing up the standard idea of what an NFL QB was. Now after, both regressed, for different reasons, it' too late. Back in 2013 Wilson was awesome and Kap looked even better. Not so much now...


    A very good post!!

    Finally, someone who sees the unbiased truth for both QBs. :irishdrinkers:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1283
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • NINEster wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.


    I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

    Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

    It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

    It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.

    I think you are not factoring in how bad Seattle's offensive line is/was and how hurt RW was all year.
    IMHO the stats in that situation are a bit misleading. The posts that follow mine also point out a few flaws of CK.
    There is a reason he is still unsigned and only a part of that has to do with kneeling for the NA.


    No, it mostly has to do with his politics.

    Read the article by Mike Freeman. Kap would have a starting job most likely, even at a reduced price.

    If he can't even get a backup job, it strictly is politics.

    Turn the Niner hatred off for a second. He would win games with a few stacked teams in this league, easily.

    It's hard to hate the Niners when they suck so bad and Harbaugh is gone, and besides, the Kraepper ain't a niner no more.
    If teams thought he was starter material he'd have a starting gig, despite his political stance.

    Maybe it's not me that has to take off the homer glasses???? 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 21986
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Absolutely would love having him as the backup.
    User avatar
    thebanjodude
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 649
    Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 am


  • NINEster wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.


    Again, politics.

    If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again.

    Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk.

    Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?


    I agree that it is mainly politics. I mean he hasn't had a visit - that is crazy

    Now in regards to Boykin you are oversimplifying. Boykin was a rookie last year of course Kaepernick would be more knowledgeable about reading defenses and understanding the speed of the game.

    Now Wilson was out there so long last year because he was deemed the best option. So the question last year wouldn't have been if Kaepernick is better than Boykin but if a hobbled Wilson would have been better than Kaepernick just like it was if a hobbled Wilson was better than Boykin. We have seen the same decision making with players like Roethlisberger in the past

    Kaep would only sign 1 year and he would want way more than the $1million that Boykin is getting this year. So do you give up Boykin's 2 year contract for a total of $2.6 million just for the chance to have Kaepernick on the bench for more money and for 1 year?

    If he wants to come in for the same dollars that Boykin is getting plus a 2 year deal - yeah I would take him. But since I really doubt that he will then we would be giving up cap space plus possibly lose a year and then next year start over being in a worse position than even last year.........

    So in my opinion - from a gameplan and skillset perspective - yes he fits, but from a roster and salary cap perspective - not a good fit

    Now Cleveland Browns just threw $16 million at buying roster spots so why they would not have signed him for $2 million and a one year season is beyond me......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Absolutely I'd take Kaepernick as our backup, but it's not realistic at this point. As mikeak has pointed out, it's just not in the cards when you consider the current state of the roster/salary cap. I imagine Kaep is going to be looking for a starting gig somewhere and I have to believe that the Browns or some other recent bottom-dweller will be open to giving him a one year prove it deal that's worth more than Boykin's entire three year contract with us.

    It's probably pretty safe to say that Boykin will never be as good as Kaep has shown in his short career. He was a heck of a talent on those Harbaugh teams. Seahawks fans tend to discount his ability because he played pretty bad against us throughout his career. However, Kaep has great experience, actually had a pretty quietly productive season on a dreadful team last year, and has some very good physical tools to come in and be a nuisance in the place of RW.

    I could care less about the politics involved or whether he used to be the face of our fiercest division rivals. The guy still has talent and he's either going to be a serviceable starter for a struggling franchise this next year or the best backup in the league, IMO.
    Last edited by JGfromtheNW on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1336
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Absolutely I'd take Kaepernick as our backup, but it's not realistic at this point. As mikeak has pointed out, it's just not in the cards when you consider the current state of the roster/salary cap. I imagine Kaep is going to be looking for a starting gig somewhere and I have to believe that the Browns or some other recent bottom-dweller will be open to giving him a one year prove it deal that's worth more than Boykin's entire two year contract with us.

    It's probably pretty safe to say that Boykin will never be as good as Kaep has shown in his short career. He was a heck of a talent on those Harbaugh teams. Seahawks fans tend to discount his ability because he played pretty bad against us throughout his career. However, Kaep has great experience, actually had a pretty quietly productive season on a dreadful team last year, and has some very good physical tools to come in and be a nuisance in the place of RW.

    I could care less about the politics involved or whether he used to be the face of our fiercest division rivals. The guy still has talent and he's either going to be a serviceable starter for a struggling franchise this next year or the best backup in the league, IMO.



    Why is it safe to say Boykin will never be as good? He is just starting out. The only reason he wasn't drafted was a situation involving Police that has since been resolved. He showed wheels, an arm and ability to make good decisions, also seen both the left and right side of the field. His release and accuracy is better then Kaeps now.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 20831
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Absolutely I'd take Kaepernick as our backup, but it's not realistic at this point. As mikeak has pointed out, it's just not in the cards when you consider the current state of the roster/salary cap. I imagine Kaep is going to be looking for a starting gig somewhere and I have to believe that the Browns or some other recent bottom-dweller will be open to giving him a one year prove it deal that's worth more than Boykin's entire two year contract with us.

    It's probably pretty safe to say that Boykin will never be as good as Kaep has shown in his short career. He was a heck of a talent on those Harbaugh teams. Seahawks fans tend to discount his ability because he played pretty bad against us throughout his career. However, Kaep has great experience, actually had a pretty quietly productive season on a dreadful team last year, and has some very good physical tools to come in and be a nuisance in the place of RW.

    I could care less about the politics involved or whether he used to be the face of our fiercest division rivals. The guy still has talent and he's either going to be a serviceable starter for a struggling franchise this next year or the best backup in the league, IMO.



    Why is it safe to say Boykin will never be as good? He is just starting out. The only reason he wasn't drafted was a situation involving Police that has since been resolved. He showed wheels, an arm and ability to make good decisions, also seen both the left and right side of the field. His release and accuracy is better then Kaeps now.


    I think it's safe to say because Kaepernick came into the league, waited a season then took over for an injured Alex Smith and didn't look back for 2.5+ seasons. The 9ers didn't ask him to throw much in 2012, but the guy had pretty impressive stats and completely took over some games, even in the playoffs. He lead the 9ers to a Super Bowl appearance, almost achieved a tremendous comeback in that game, and then continued to win against/shred just about everyone except for us in 2013 until "The Tip" sent us to a Super Bowl.

    I guess I think it's safe to say because he's proved what he can do in this league. Boykin hasn't and probably won't get many meaningful snaps until 1) RW is out for extensive time or 2) he gets a starting gig on another team.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1336
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • Sports Hernia wrote:If teams thought he was starter material he'd have a starting gig, despite his political stance.

    Maybe it's not me that has to take off the homer glasses???? 8)


    There's been a fair amount of reporting on this, and kneeling last year has definitely taken a toll. It is out there. It's inarguable.

    He was reportedly going to get signed 10 days ago or so until an owner nixed it (the rumor is it's Haslam and the Browns, and Haslam already has a well deserved reputation for meddling).

    That doesn't make him any better of a QB and there's almost definitely other factors at play too, but arguing that it's not ONE of the factors is pretty silly, IMO.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4011
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:If teams thought he was starter material he'd have a starting gig, despite his political stance.

    Maybe it's not me that has to take off the homer glasses???? 8)


    There's been a fair amount of reporting on this, and kneeling last year has definitely taken a toll. It is out there. It's inarguable.

    He was reportedly going to get signed 10 days ago or so until an owner nixed it (the rumor is it's Haslam and the Browns, and Haslam already has a well deserved reputation for meddling).

    That doesn't make him any better of a QB and there's almost definitely other factors at play too, but arguing that it's not ONE of the factors is pretty silly, IMO.


    The fact is, if Kaepernick was really that highly regarded as a player, it wouldn't matter what he did off the field as long as it doesn't involve a rap sheet. He wrote a check his talent can't cash. That's on him.

    Also, no one wants a backup with baggage. If he's not going to start, of course he's not worth the trouble. That's just a fact of professional sports.
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

    RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

    RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3047
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: JMC Mining Ship Red Dwarf


  • NINEster wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.


    Again, politics. NO...WRONG

    If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again. NO...WRONG

    Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk. NO...WRONG

    Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?
    NO...WRONG
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34838
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


  • Maulbert wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:If teams thought he was starter material he'd have a starting gig, despite his political stance.

    Maybe it's not me that has to take off the homer glasses???? 8)


    There's been a fair amount of reporting on this, and kneeling last year has definitely taken a toll. It is out there. It's inarguable.

    He was reportedly going to get signed 10 days ago or so until an owner nixed it (the rumor is it's Haslam and the Browns, and Haslam already has a well deserved reputation for meddling).

    That doesn't make him any better of a QB and there's almost definitely other factors at play too, but arguing that it's not ONE of the factors is pretty silly, IMO.


    The fact is, if Kaepernick was really that highly regarded as a player, it wouldn't matter what he did off the field as long as it doesn't involve a rap sheet. He wrote a check his talent can't cash. That's on him.

    Also, no one wants a backup with baggage. If he's not going to start, of course he's not worth the trouble. That's just a fact of professional sports.


    Both of those things being true doesn't mean the third thing isn't also true.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4011
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Houston needs a starting quarterback probably more than any team especially with that great defense.

    They made a gigantic mistake on osweiller and I doubt they do it again with Krapper.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34838
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


  • Largent80 wrote:Houston needs a starting quarterback probably more than any team especially with that great defense.

    They made a gigantic mistake on osweiller and I doubt they do it again with Krapper.


    1) the difference is they can get Kaepernick cheap

    2) Their QB will be spelled R-O-M-O
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Yeah Glass Romo is the answer..The guy is done,the injuries he has had are no joke and he is one good hit away from hanging them up..I don't get why people do not see this or refuse to..
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3029
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • Largent80 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.


    Again, politics. NO...WRONG

    If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again. NO...WRONG

    Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk. NO...WRONG

    Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?
    NO...WRONG


    Edited for political quotes. This is a football forum, not a political one.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK



  • ...


    OK. Back to strictly football issues, Kaep isn't a starter. Maybe a bridge/backup. Then again, last time he was made one he introduced a non-football related matter that infuriated fans either b/c 1) they disagreed and/or 2) they were just there to watch football. Players have a brand that's part of the team's business decision, and Kaep blew his up by introducing this non-football-related matter that has obv created more non-football-related drama.

    I just want to watch football.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 am


  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:

    ...


    OK. Back to strictly football issues, Kaep isn't a starter. Maybe a bridge/backup. Then again, last time he was made one he introduced a non-football related matter that infuriated fans either b/c 1) they disagreed and/or 2) they were just there to watch football. Players have a brand that's part of the team's business decision, and Kaep blew his up by introducing this non-football-related matter that has obv created more non-football-related drama.

    I just want to watch football.

    Agreed. He's actually good but Seattle doesn't need him because Wilson is much better. You can't pay your backup when you're paying 20M to your starter. Really simple just go with Boykin or the next rookie just like New England and accept if Wilson is seriously injured we're probably cooked for that season. And like any elite quarterback Wilson isn't coming out unless he is seriously cooked. Last season with the worse OL ever and at 50% he still got us in the playoffs and won a game. Give him an average OL and health even Seymour would shut up and enjoy the dominance. He's really that good when he's focused and healthy.

    Now we actually are trying to run an OL not full of rookies and have Eddie Lacy? Good luck NFCW.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 505
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 am


  • Largent80 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.


    Again, politics. NO...WRONG

    If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again. NO...WRONG

    Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk. NO...WRONG

    Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?
    NO...WRONG


    It is clearly political. I can't link to it but there is ZERO doubt that it is not just because of his ability

    Do you really believe that he is not at least the 62nd best QB in this league? That is all it takes to at least be brought in to be a backup
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • He doesn't have a job for the same reason Jay Cutler doesn't have a job. Attitude and declining skills.

    He was never that good to begin with, even Trent Dilfer was bemoaning that fact toward's the end of Russell Wilson's rookie season.

    "He hasn't developed like that guy up in the Northwest." Dilfer couldn't even bring himself to say Russell's name because they Seahawks were SF's nemesis.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 15359
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska



  • Largent80 wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.


    Again, politics. NO...WRONG

    If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again. NO...WRONG

    Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk. NO...WRONG

    Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?
    NO...WRONG


    The hatred for the 49ers and Kap is so strong you can't even agree with the national consensus on this one.

    When you have all of these non 49er fans sticking up for Kap when many of them either never cared/known or liked him as a football player, says a lot.

    That's the problem with you. You love to be contrarian just for the sake of it.

    Even when many Niner fans have accepted the truth with their son, you can't even give the most minor of credit. Guys who couldn't sniff Kap's early years let alone EVEN LAST YEAR get jobs all the time in this league. I know you'd rather have Josh Freeman on 3 days practice with a new team (Vikings) than Kap, I get it.

    And that's ok with me, because just when I feel ready to put away the kerosene you keep giving me more reasons to keep it stocked. :mrgreen:

    Miami Dolphins DC just texted me that based off of 2016 alone, he would prefer facing Wilson's one epic drive over Kap's 3 TD game going forward. :irishdrinkers: :mrgreen:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1283
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • If he's so good, why didn't your sorry organization keep him?
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2874
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


  • ivotuk wrote:He doesn't have a job for the same reason Jay Cutler doesn't have a job. Attitude and declining skills.

    He was never that good to begin with, even Trent Dilfer was bemoaning that fact toward's the end of Russell Wilson's rookie season.

    "He hasn't developed like that guy up in the Northwest." Dilfer couldn't even bring himself to say Russell's name because they Seahawks were SF's nemesis.


    The difference is that the 49er players liked Kaepernick enough to give him their Eshmont award

    http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/30/c ... lsh-award/

    He had the support of the locker room unlike Jay Cutler
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Sign him and then let him play without a red jersey behind out #3 line in training camp
    User avatar
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1189
    Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • Siouxhawk wrote:If he's so good, why didn't your sorry organization keep him?


    Everyone needs a reboot at this point....both SF & Kap. The 2015 season ruined Kap primarily because he has been a target for media scrutiny and didn't have the luxury of hiding a s*** season the way Cam Newton or other QBs have been able to.

    Based on what I saw last year alone, Kap should have agreed to the trade with Denver on a reworked contract and he could have won quite a bit of games for them.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1283
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • NINEster wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:If he's so good, why didn't your sorry organization keep him?


    Everyone needs a reboot at this point....both SF & Kap. The 2015 season ruined Kap primarily because he has been a target for media scrutiny and didn't have the luxury of hiding a s*** season the way Cam Newton or other QBs have been able to.

    Based on what I saw last year alone, Kap should have agreed to the trade with Denver on a reworked contract and he could have won quite a bit of games for them.

    Fair enough. I just don't want to see him on the Hawks. It will be interesting to see which publicly unpopular quarterback gets signed first, Kap or Cutler? Might be best for both to sit tight and await a training camp or early-season injury.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2874
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


  • I'm with Brock on this. When asked why EJ Manuel has a job, and Jay Cutler, RGIII and Colin Kaepernick don't, he said:

    "They don't make those around them better. Jay Cutler threw for 5000 yards, RGII was Rookie of the Year, Colin played in a Superbowl."

    I'd add that all 3 have an attitude problem. They are as far from having "it" as a QB can be.

    Blue 42

    http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... 0Blue%2042
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 15359
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Next


It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 8:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online