Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Kaepernick for Seahawk towel boy on his best day.

Right. Kaepernick would be probably #3 best QB this organization has had in almost 20 years, but he's only as good as a towel boy.

Get over yourself.

Probaly 3rd period..An old Moon 4th and Zorny 5th
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• WindCityHawk wrote:Politics aside, his hot-and-cold showing aside, there's just too much bad blood between him and the organization (players and fans). I don't want any more distractions. Pass.

Probably no worse than his relationship with the 49ers and their fans. :mrgreen:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:

Right. Kaepernick would be probably #3 best QB this organization has had in almost 20 years, but he's only as good as a towel boy.

Get over yourself.

I'm over it. Now what. Kaepernick STILL stinks.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:

Get over yourself.

Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:

Get over yourself.

Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.

You got me. I'm supposed to get over myself for what my eyes see. I guess Jaundiced Gonads from the NW sees differently. Judging by his avatar, he definitely swings from a different vine.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• rlkats wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:

Get over yourself.

Because it is not supported by facts

Show me the numbers that shows that he is "garbage" - that means worse than 31 other guys for a starting position and for about 60 to be considered a backup

waiting
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.

Not only that, but in the beginning, he was blessed not only with a stellar defense that always gave him good field position, but he was blessed with a rock solid offensive line and a Pro Bowl running back. The past two seasons, we've seen his true identity once he lost those fig leaves.

Except for the stellar defense, he won't have any of that here if we were to bring him in. He's not worth the baggage he'd bring with him.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• Very few QB's can perform well with no line and no running game and a group of lousy receivers and a weak defense.

I am trying to think of one of the Elite QB's in history that could over come all those things and win and have good numbers. Still drawing a blank though.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Very few QB's can perform well with no line and no running game and a group of lousy receivers and a weak defense.

I am trying to think of one of the Elite QB's in history that could over come all those things and win and have good numbers. Still drawing a blank though.

I was wondering if the Snake may have had that.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Very few QB's can perform well with no line and no running game and a group of lousy receivers and a weak defense.

I was wondering if the Snake may have had that.

Well Kenny the Snake Stabler had a Line and receivers and RB's along with that historic Raiders Defense.

Jake the Snake Plummer had nothing in Arizona. When he went to Denver The Rat almost got him killed.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.[/quote]

Show me the numbers that shows that he is "garbage" - that means worse than 31 other guys for a starting position and for about 60 to be considered a backup

waiting[/quote]

The stats are very misleading. I watched ALL of his games. His plays would come in bursts. He then would go through a stupid spell and throw winnable games away. That is fact. Get your brain off stats and watch his games without KAP homer blinders on.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:Because it is not supported by facts

waiting

Wait no longer:

2015 QBR: 47.0
    2016 QBR: 55.2

Garbage.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.

waiting

The stats are very misleading. I watched ALL of his games. His plays would come in bursts. He then would go through a stupid spell and throw winnable games away. That is fact. Get your brain off stats and watch his games without KAP homer blinders on.

Some people don't want to admit they were ever wrong. It's seems to be an epidemic of late generally speaking that crosses all fanbases.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• QBR? Really?

Kaepernick is essentially a 59% passer with a solid TD/INT ratio (16/4 last year) who is a) young, b) has wheels, and c) can take punishment without being eternally hurt. That means that he's not a starter-caliber player (unless maybe you're the Browns or Bears), but those numbers are solid for a backup who, as a bonus, can fit right into the offense if Wilson goes down.

Is he a guy I want starting all sixteen here? No. However, I've sat through teams that started Glenn Foley and Tarvaris Jackson and Dan McGwire and Rick Mirer and Jon Kitna before Kitna was decent, so I think Kaepernick as a backup is a decent move when seen through the lens of how hard it is to find even serviceable QB play in the league.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Smelly McUgly wrote:QBR? Really?

Kaepernick is essentially a 59% passer with a solid TD/INT ratio (16/4 last year) who is a) young, b) has wheels, and c) can take punishment without being eternally hurt. That means that he's not a starter-caliber player (unless maybe you're the Browns or Bears), but those numbers are solid for a backup who, as a bonus, can fit right into the offense if Wilson goes down.

Is he a guy I want starting all sixteen here? No. However, I've sat through teams that started Glenn Foley and Tarvaris Jackson and Dan McGwire and Rick Mirer and Jon Kitna before Kitna was decent, so I think Kaepernick as a backup is a decent move when seen through the lens of how hard it is to find even serviceable QB play in the league.

I will agree with you smelly. He is back up AT best. But as back ups. I still would go another direction. The man refuses to develop and work in his skills.
    In a back up I would want someone that can replace the starter at anytime for any length. Kind of like the Vikings situation. If they had a good back up they would not have to had given the farm for Bradford.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:QBR? Really?

I will agree with you smelly. He is back up AT best. But as back ups. I still would go another direction. The man refuses to develop and work in his skills.
    In a back up I would want someone that can replace the starter at anytime for any length. Kind of like the Vikings situation. If they had a good back up they would not have to had given the farm for Bradford.

But there aren't even enough QBs good enough to play all sixteen to give every team a good starter in the first place. Getting someone that good as a backup is a pipe dream. Even when it happens, the guy relegated to backup forces a trade, retires, or is traded for a windfall (precisely because there are not enough starters to go around).

And on the real, I think the Vikes were better off saving the picks and starting Shaun Hill. Bradford is a marginal starter, not a guy worth burning picks on.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• I honestly think Seattle would be crazy to not consider Kap.

Kap couldn't stay in SF because he doesn't fit what Shanahan wants to do now. He did it once with RGIII but he doesn't want to do that anymore. Shanahan wants a classic passer.

Kap DOES fit Seattles offense. I'm not saying he can do was Russ does, but if he can get over the fact that he's not a starter anymore he can be a productive backup in Seattle.

I don't want him there specifically because I think it would be a good signing.

As for everyone who thinks he's garbage and not worth signing, you really should look around th eleague and see whats passing for backup QBs these days.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• I think Kaepernick would be one of the best options to consider for that backup spot. Although it's been a while, he's had success, he fits into the offensive system so the other ten guys on the field don't need to change the scheme from qb to qb, he's young, he knows a few players on a personal level with his friendship with Lockette and charity work, speaking of which, he does a lot of giving back to communities.

He's polarizing, likely a bit of a doosh, but I feel like he's a pretty solid choice to hold RWs jock strap. He's better than Boykin, imo.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

• Football-wise, Kaep had been beaten by Seattle since 2013. Given Jed's thing against Seattle, Kaep would logically know the playbook more than most.

Non-footballwise, Kaep as a SJW cause has been taken up by everyone from MMQB to Skip Bayless. There's pressure to sign Kaep just because of his SJWing, which was not a football matter and clouds the issue.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

• There's other veteran quarterbacks available that would cost less, carries less baggage, and brings nearly as much to the table as Kaepernick. One such QB is Kaep's own teammate that once beat him out for the position, Blaine Gabbert.

Once a top 10 pick, Gabbert isn't quite as much of a threat with his legs as Kaepernick is, but he's no slouch, either. As a matter of fact, his time in the 40, 4.62 at the combine, was close to Russell's 4.55, and Gabbert is a more accurate passer than Kaep (who isn't?). At 27 years old, Gabbert's 2 years younger than Kaep.

I'm not necessarily advocating that we bring in Gabbert. I'm pointing out that there are better options out there besides Kaepernick. Besides, we have enough distractions going on with the speculation about Richard Sherman, Boykin's arrest, and Russell's new lifestyle. The last thing we need is a pain in the ass like that POS.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• Why is Russ' lifestyle a distraction?
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:Why is Russ' lifestyle a distraction?

Yea, that was probably a bit of a stretch to include it with the Sherman thing. But his so-called weight problem, his high maintenance wife, and one in the oven along with the media circus that's been following him around is a distraction, just not on the same level as the Sherman rumors.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• The only people​ distracted by any of that stuff are the fans, and honestly having some of those type of fans turn away from the Seahawks if Kaepernick were signed would only be a bonus.

I don't think this stuff matters for the most part. Scumbag Brady has a model wife and is also a celeb, and he and his team are never distracted by it.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:I honestly think Seattle would be crazy to not consider Kap.

Kap couldn't stay in SF because he doesn't fit what Shanahan wants to do now. He did it once with RGIII but he doesn't want to do that anymore. Shanahan wants a classic passer.

Kap DOES fit Seattles offense. I'm not saying he can do was Russ does, but if he can get over the fact that he's not a starter anymore he can be a productive backup in Seattle.

I don't want him there specifically because I think it would be a good signing.

As for everyone who thinks he's garbage and not worth signing, you really should look around th eleague and see whats passing for backup QBs these days.

You nailed it.

The STARTING QB position in the NFL is so bad off that Philly managed to score a #1 pick for a beat down former draft bust with 3 knee surgeries.

Carson Palmer, with 3 knee surgeries, one million interceptions, and 38 years under his belt is practically "indispensable" as a starter.

I'm telling you, when it comes to QB in the NFL, it's slim pickins'
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:The only people​ distracted by any of that stuff are the fans, and honestly having some of those type of fans turn away from the Seahawks if Kaepernick were signed would only be a bonus.

You can't be serious. If the prerequisite for being a fan was to agree with every signing no matter what the issue or concern might be, then the stands in most every stadium in the league would be pretty empty.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• RiverDog wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:The only people​ distracted by any of that stuff are the fans, and honestly having some of those type of fans turn away from the Seahawks if Kaepernick were signed would only be a bonus.

You can't be serious. If the prerequisite for being a fan was to agree with every signing no matter what the issue or concern might be, then the stands in most every stadium in the league would be pretty empty.

Yes, if Kaepernick can take his stand by kneeling, Seahawks fans in the stands can take their stand fleeing.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• RiverDog wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:The only people​ distracted by any of that stuff are the fans, and honestly having some of those type of fans turn away from the Seahawks if Kaepernick were signed would only be a bonus.

I don't agree with your disagreement with his politics because an athlete's politics are irrelevant to me. I care about their on field performance and related. Keapernick is horrible for the money you would have to pay him in comparison to other choices that would be no worse, cost less and have fewer issues.

I do however completely agree with the opinion to completely disagree with any signing and most especially showing so with your wallet. It may be meaningless in the end or not depending on the situation but it's both a valid choice and opinion.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

• Well Kyle Shanahan has stepped in to opine that Kaep isn't finding a starting job due to his skill set as a QB.

For league minimum, I still think he's worth a camp body. He did perform better than Gabs in the 16 season.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

• Josea16 wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:

I don't agree with your disagreement with his politics because an athlete's politics are irrelevant to me. I care about their on field performance and related. Keapernick is horrible for the money you would have to pay him in comparison to other choices that would be no worse, cost less and have fewer issues.

I do however completely agree with the opinion to completely disagree with any signing and most especially showing so with your wallet. It may be meaningless in the end or not depending on the situation but it's both a valid choice and opinion.

If that's the case, if all that matters to you is a football player's on field performance, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind if we make a bold effort to parole Aaron Hernandez and bring him in.

I do care about an athlete's off field, non football persona, whether that be his politics or other aspects of his behavior. I want to root for the good guys.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be a squeaky clean goody two shoes in order to earn my respect as a fan, but I do have my line in the sand, and Kaepernick has crossed it.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:Well Kyle Shanahan has stepped in to opine that Kaep isn't finding a starting job due to his skill set as a QB.

That's simply not true.

KS explained that THE 49ERS aren't resigning him because the offense he would excel in isn't a good match for the offense KS is running. (And let's be honest here, KS and JL's efforts at making a clean break from the last few years obviously have at least something to do with all of this too -- you don't let go of a very successful late 30s kicker and replace him with a less successful late 30s kicker unless you're making a clean break).

KS's comments do point to something real -- it's totally reasonable that Kap's market as a starter might be limited to teams which are interested in running offenses that he'd excel in, and his market as a backup might be limited to teams who run offenses his skillset would fit into well -- but that KS said he isn't finding work because of his skill set is simply untrue.

In any offense Kap is as good or better than what the Texans, Broncos, Jets, Browns, Jags, or Bears have at QB right now.

As a backup his skill set would also be a huge improvement over what the Panthers, Seahawks, and Titans have at #2 right now, and all three of those teams have starting QBs who were really banged up last year.

#2 on the Cowboys also makes a ton of sense, as if Dak really regresses they're going to have a ton of problems, and with Glennon gone #2 on the Bucs works too.

That doesn't mean he's getting blackballed, but that's 1/3rd of the league for which you can make a case for Kap maybe being useful in a bridge starter or backup role.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Voicing a political or personal belief legally doesn't equal murder. Especially when convicted in a court of law by a jury of your peers.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Well Kyle Shanahan has stepped in to opine that Kaep isn't finding a starting job due to his skill set as a QB.

That's simply not true.

KS explained that THE 49ERS aren't resigning him because the offense he would excel in isn't a good match for the offense KS is running. (And let's be honest here, KS and JL's efforts at making a clean break from the last few years obviously have at least something to do with all of this too -- you don't let go of a very successful late 30s kicker and replace him with a less successful late 30s kicker unless you're making a clean break).

KS's comments do point to something real -- it's totally reasonable that Kap's market as a starter might be limited to teams which are interested in running offenses that he'd excel in, and his market as a backup might be limited to teams who run offenses his skillset would fit into well -- but that KS said he isn't finding work because of his skill set is simply untrue.

In any offense Kap is as good or better than what the Texans, Broncos, Jets, Browns, Jags, or Bears have at QB right now.

As a backup his skill set would also be a huge improvement over what the Panthers, Seahawks, and Titans have at #2 right now, and all three of those teams have starting QBs who were really banged up last year.

#2 on the Cowboys also makes a ton of sense, as if Dak really regresses they're going to have a ton of problems, and with Glennon gone #2 on the Bucs works too.

That doesn't mean he's getting blackballed, but that's 1/3rd of the league for which you can make a case for Kap maybe being useful in a bridge starter or backup role.

No Thanks.....He is too tall.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Well Kyle Shanahan has stepped in to opine that Kaep isn't finding a starting job due to his skill set as a QB.

That's simply not true.

No Thanks.....He is too tall.

I so want Kap to go to the Seahawks and kick ass on every snap not against the 49ers.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:

That's simply not true.

I read KS comments differently, in that I interpreted KS as saying that Kaep would not succeed as a starter because he's not naturally good at some things, such as releasing the ball early and accurately, throwing long, seeing more than one receiver, etc. If Kaep had a viciously great O-line, and running backs far better than the defense, and if his tendencies weren't known, and he had a great kicker, he might have a 2012 season. But even then Kaep couldn't close in the end zone. Even in '12, you could see that Dawson actually scored the game-winning points.

I don't see any of the teams offering all those advantages. Perhaps the Broncs are closest. Howeer, before Kaep's protest, the year before, he was shopped. The Broncs could have (according to KNBR) had him for $14M but passed. No one else showed interest, which indicates that his viability as a starter declined before his political protest. Versus Dawson, who became a Cardinal within a couple of days.

I believe his days as a starter are over for football reasons. But I believe he could be a decent bridge or backup for football reasons (he outplayed Gabbert toward the end), but that FOs are wary of signing him to a position that's meant to be background as opposed to focusing on his actions during the anthem. I believe many players agree with his actions, which is one of the reasons he's getting so much press about "why isn't the guy signed yet?"
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

• As a complete backup QB, I still believe Tarvaris beats out Kap in any kind of prove-it training camp showdown competition Pete could throw at them. Hell, toss in Boykin for good measure.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:As a complete backup QB, I still believe Tarvaris beats out Kap in any kind of prove-it training camp showdown competition Pete could throw at them. Hell, toss in Boykin for good measure.

The player you referencing above is retired, let it go, if were bringing up players from the past all of us could name a QB or player that could still do some things well on a Practice field. Since this thread has now gone off topic and will turn into a player you mentioned thread it is locked. Thanks for the derailment.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information