Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • mikeak wrote:The difference is that the 49er players liked Kaepernick enough to give him their Eshmont award

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/30/c ... lsh-award/

He had the support of the locker room unlike Jay Cutler

Yep. To call Kaepernick a locker room problem is laughable.

He's a team owner problem.

FWIW I think the 49ers are dumb not to bring him back. FWIW I really like Hoyer as a bridge QB for a bad team, but the chance of him making it through a season are basically nill.

And Kaepernick already knows the (these days, pointlessly complicated) WCO verbiage from playing with Harbaugh, and all the play action and designed roll outs that KS leans on totally play to the few things Kaepernick is good at.

I get that Lynch and KS are really going out of their way to make a clean break from 9ers players from the old regime (cutting Phil Dawson to sign Robbie Gould? :lol: You only do that as a symbolic way to make a clean break between regimes), but I think as a #2 who would be likely to get some run Kaepernick would actually be useful for them.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:I'm with Brock on this. When asked why EJ Manuel has a job, and Jay Cutler, RGIII and Colin Kaepernick don't, he said:

"They don't make those around them better. Jay Cutler threw for 5000 yards, RGII was Rookie of the Year, Colin played in a Superbowl."

I'd add that all 3 have an attitude problem. They are as far from having "it" as a QB can be.

Blue 42

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... 0Blue%2042

EJ Manuel is still a relative unknown from being in one system and not knowing how good that system is

Cutler has been with many teams and multiple coordinators. He has had great players around him and he keeps pissing people off and making bad throws showing he doesn't care about keeping the football. He doesn't counter that with enough positive play like Brett Favre did so he is out

RGIII had ONE good season. If you go back and look at tape (there was fantastic youtube video made) that season came from a system that is IMPOSSIBLE to sustain in the NFL. They ran that guy straight up the gut for 1 yard runs in a way that you cannot continue to expose the QB. It did however create opportunities for passing to open players but at the cost of breaking the QB. Put RGIII in a normal system with some running and he shows that he is not that good of a QB. Maybe if he gets "re-trained" he can become something, but his body is probably never going to hold up

Kaepernick showed last year that at worst he is an average QB. It continues to come down to the fact that he has now separated himself as an unpopular person to a group of people. That matters as the country is completely divided politically and NFL owners cares about one thing more than winning and that one thing is $$$$.

You can live with pissing off animal rights activists when signing someone like Michael Vick because they don't provide a lot of revenue to begin with. You cannot live with pissing off the group of people that don't like Kaepernick simply because his political opinions. That group supports not only the league as a whole with a whole lot of money but they also support primary sponsors like Beer, Soda and Fast food companies.........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Kaepernick doesn't have an attitude problem as far as I can tell.

I would absolutely love to have him here. Good guy, still young (relatively) and toolsy. I'm all for bringing him in at the right price.
    Current favorite players (in no specific order): Jeremy Lane, Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reed, Arian Foster, Brandon Marshall (DEN version), and of course, the real one Marshawn Lynch
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• I am all for bring Kaepernick in as RW's backup. That way, if and when RW needs a break, we have someone who can step in.
    toffee
    NET Practice Squad

• I'd like to see him back in a niners uniform myself.
    russoloco
    NET Bench Warmer

• russoloco wrote:I'd like to see him back in a niners uniform myself.

As a Seahawks fan, I too would like to see him in a ninners uni.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:
    russoloco wrote:I'd like to see him back in a niners uniform myself.

As a Seahawks fan, I too would like to see him in a ninners uni.

I third this! 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Occam's Razor, folks.

"The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• [quote="Smelly McUgly"]Kaepernick doesn't have an attitude problem as far as I can tell.

Any attitude problem he has is easily solved by him shutting up. The thing is that won't solve his QB problem.
    BostonBlackie
    NET Practice Squad

• Hard No...
    Just The Tip......

I'm a 6'5, 255lb ginger. You can't hurt me, I have no soul.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

• He's not good so why would we want him?
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Occam's Razor, folks.

Seattle is about to test this theory if we retain Boykin..........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:I am all for bring Kaepernick in as RW's backup. That way, if and when RW needs a break, we have someone who can step in and show the world what a mistake we made.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• the dynamic has changed now with the Boykin arrest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pete brought Kap in to kick the tires now.
    Life is hard; It's harder when you're stupid. -- John Wayne
    c_hawkbob
    NET Starter

• c_hawkbob wrote:the dynamic has changed now with the Boykin arrest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pete brought Kap in to kick the tires now.

Sorry but our front office actually has brains.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:
    c_hawkbob wrote:the dynamic has changed now with the Boykin arrest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pete brought Kap in to kick the tires now.

Sorry but our front office actually has brains.

Why?

His stats are middle of the pack last year - what is football related reasons for not having him as a backup?
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Kap is good enough that Russell could be rotated out for some games keeping them both fresh, and giving both playing time keeping them both sharp.
    ABSOLUTELY, bring in Kap as the backup, if it can be done.
    expsly
    NET Bench Warmer

• My vote for Kaep is an affirmative NO!
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:My vote for Kaep is an affirmative NO!

Um, that's not a thing.
    c_hawkbob
    NET Starter

• c_hawkbob wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:My vote for Kaep is an affirmative NO!

Um, that's not a thing.

I'm being positively negative about this possibility, Bob!
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• c_hawkbob wrote:the dynamic has changed now with the Boykin arrest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pete brought Kap in to kick the tires now.

Kaep is known quality, no tire to kick. If he is willing to be Re's backup sign him. I can see RW may not want Kaep as his backup though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Practice Squad

• expsly wrote:Kap is good enough that Russell could be rotated out for some games keeping them both fresh, and giving both playing time keeping them both sharp.
    ABSOLUTELY, bring in Kap as the backup, if it can be done.

lol you really think wilson will like that?

toffee
    NET Practice Squad

• Siouxhawk wrote:My vote for Kaep is an affirmative NO!

But he's been to a Super Bowl as a starter, he has to be better then TJack.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:

That's not saying a whole lot.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

That's not saying a whole lot.

He sacred the Ravens and made them shut off the lights.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• well if we do sign Krapper its gonna have to be for a low salary for probably one year. Still better than being a Hamilton Ti-Cat.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• The question is whether he's worth one year of league minimum for backup capability specifically in Seattle.

Don't enjoy Boykin's having a PD interaction specifically about a matter that the NFL says is not allowed, which makes it unfortunately a football-related issue apart from play.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

• chris98251 wrote:

I still say Tarvaris beats him out in a training camp competition.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• The rub is Kaepenick is currently one of the more polarizing figures in the NFL.

Wherever he ends up, he'll likely split and polarize that community.

Teams like Seattle do not need to pay such a high a price for a backup.

More affordable alternatives are preferable.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• The main problem is, he wants a chance to start. And wants 9-10 million to play. Now to the main question. Is he worth 9-10 million? Here you have many QB's that make a ton of money and SUCK. Is he better that lets say, Trevor Siemian, Tom Savage, Blake Bortles, Jared Goff (there are more)? All three are average to below to me. And yet they are playing on a team and some are starters. Now the KAP head ache.

Negative things

1. He wants to start
    2. CAN NOT READ A FIELD
    3. Is very inaccurate (even when he was good)
    4. Does not believe his mechanics are in need to be fixed (his words when Warner was teaching him)
    5. Teams have figured out to contain him and keep him from running.
    6. Has those WTF was he thinking or throwing to
    7. Is very uncomfortable in the pocket

Positive Things
    1. Is a very polarizing idea and talent.
    2. Teams must watch him so he cant run
    3. Has bouts of WOW did you see that great throw or run.
    4. STRONG arm
    5. And is NOT a locker room cancer (Not talking about politics)

In my mind he needs a couple of years to get his head straight, Work on his mechanics and be a student of the game. But the issue is I don't think his ego will allow him to do this. If these issues were not there he would not be a free agent. Sadly his freedom of speech and protest HAS hurt him, but his Negatives on the game itself has hurt him more. Now the problem. I don't think he will get on a team unless he lowers his expectations and price range.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• ^ All these facts are getting in the way of the claims that he is not being blackballed. Can we please stop with this. Lets just blame his horrible play (middle of the pack last year) and outlandish demands (not substantiated).

Of course there is no way that we can accept players responsible for the deaths of others (Stallworth), people that go to prison (to many to name) while not even interviewing a guy that is in the middle of the pack for 2016 QB stats just because he is a black man protesting what he believes is injustice in the system........ :sarcasm_off:
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Would he consider converting to RB, WR, or TE?
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Would he consider converting to RB, WR, or TE?

Perhaps he should convert to being a long-snapper.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

• There are some dominoes that have to fall in place first. Romo, Cutler, etc. After that Kaep may realize he's not going to get a starting gig and realize signing with a good team as a backup on a one year contract might get him a shot next season.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:Kaep doesn't want $9M according to Florio...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -per-year/

...and apparently really wants to Hawks to consider him....
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... aepernick/

the Seahawks have seen first-hand what Kaepernick can do with the right coaching and game planning. If/when Wilson gets injured, Kaepernick would definitely be a better option than Boykin, especially if Boykin’s arrest results in the team moving on from him the same way it moved on from Tarvaris Jackson following an arrest a year ago.

I don't much like Florio. I listen to him every morning on my way to work when I'm on first shift because that's his time slot and he can really be a dick if he's interviewing someone who has the audacity to disagree with him ... but in this case I think he hit the nail square on the head.
    c_hawkbob
    NET Starter

Just bringing Kaepernick in to "kick the tires" is going to cause an uproar. There are a lot of fans, me amongst them, that don't want to have anything to do with him regardless of any positive effect it may have for our team. Bringing in Kaepernick would make the drafting Frank Clark look like a Sunday prayer breakfast.

And it's not like Kaepernick is the only viable option. There's plenty of veteran quarterbacks available, some that have a lot of starting experience that have yet to sign with a team, including:

Blaine Gabbert, RG3, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler, Chase Daniel, Case Keenum, etc. Heck, Gabbert beat out Kaepernick last season, why wouldn't he be more preferable than Kaep?

What I suspect is going to happen is that we won't bring in any well recognized veteran like Kaep or RG3, that we'll do the same thing we did last year and either pick one up in the late rounds of the draft or sign an undrafted FA.

This may all be a moot point as Boykin may not be in as deep of caca as everyone is assuming.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• MikeAK is a smart dude.

Like I said, I'd love to get this guy. He's a one-read QB? So is Trevone Boykin, except Kaepernick's actually won something in the league. He's not a distraction unless some precious snowflake fans can't deal with someone who has an opinion giving that opinion out loud. I've been able to watch lots of football players in the past who are horrible people with terrible ideas.

Divide the community? The community is already divided, and deeply so. Kaepernick signing here won't change that. However, it will change my comfort level with the team's ability to succeed if RW misses a four-game stretch because this garbage-dump of an OL filled with basketball-player prospects, first-round busts, and mid-round reaches gets him killed.
    Current favorite players (in no specific order): Jeremy Lane, Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reed, Arian Foster, Brandon Marshall (DEN version), and of course, the real one Marshawn Lynch
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Kaep has QB higher numbers than RG3, Ryan Fitzpatrick etc. He does know or should know Seattle's scheme having being beaten by them regularly. Could be a serviceable backup.

League minimum camp body is an option, but pass on the $9 mil.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

• Smelly McUgly wrote:MikeAK is a smart dude.

Like I said, I'd love to get this guy. He's a one-read QB? So is Trevone Boykin, except Kaepernick's actually won something in the league. He's not a distraction unless some precious snowflake fans can't deal with someone who has an opinion giving that opinion out loud. I've been able to watch lots of football players in the past who are horrible people with terrible ideas.

Divide the community? The community is already divided, and deeply so. Kaepernick signing here won't change that. However, it will change my comfort level with the team's ability to succeed if RW misses a four-game stretch because this garbage-dump of an OL filled with basketball-player prospects, first-round busts, and mid-round reaches gets him killed.

Great post and it's spot on. Kaep would be a HUGE boost to the depth of our roster and a really nice insurance policy for the o-line getting our QB killed; but I think he's going to demand too high of a salary. It's pretty shocking that he hasn't been signed yet, but when the vast majority of owners are old white billionaires; I can see how they would have a problem with an African American man peacefully protesting and exercising some constitutional rights.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:MikeAK is a smart dude.

Great post and it's spot on. Kaep would be a HUGE boost to the depth of our roster and a really nice insurance policy for the o-line getting our QB killed; but I think he's going to demand too high of a salary. It's pretty shocking that he hasn't been signed yet, but when the vast majority of owners are old white billionaires; I can see how they would have a problem with an African American man peacefully protesting and exercising some constitutional rights.

nah, can't promotion or allow someone like Kaep to promotion uppitiness.
    toffee
    NET Practice Squad

• Smelly McUgly wrote:MikeAK is a smart dude. .

+1 :D
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    c_hawkbob wrote:the dynamic has changed now with the Boykin arrest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pete brought Kap in to kick the tires now.

Kaep is known quality, no tire to kick. If he is willing to be Re's backup sign him. I can see RW may not want Kaep as his backup though.

Not want Kap as his backup? They're friendly, no?

Tell me why, because the only insinuation is something you won't want to hear from my mouth.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• kaep would be a good addition to the roster.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• I'd like to grab him just to pull a Belichick and ship him to Cleveland.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Largent80 wrote:Kaepernick for Seahawk towel boy on his best day.

Right. Kaepernick would be probably #3 best QB this organization has had in almost 20 years, but he's only as good as a towel boy.

Get over yourself.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Politics aside, his hot-and-cold showing aside, there's just too much bad blood between him and the organization (players and fans). I don't want any more distractions. Pass.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information