Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Competition committee wants full-time referees for 2017

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Interesting. Won't fix everything, but might help.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Interesting idea. Been a long time coming.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• This would at least ideally give some form of consistency
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

• They better be training a lot during the off-season to refine their craft, too. If it turns out that they're doing the same thing they've always done but simply making more money, I'll be annoyed.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• The popular opinion is that a lot of the good refs have even more lucrative careers, such as the attorneys and businessmen, and will choose those careers over football. So, even though this works out in the long game, they are going to lose enough veteran refs that there will be a big influx of rookies from college. The quality of officiating will suffer significantly for a few years while the new guys learn on the job.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• It's around 40-45 years late but you take what you can get.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:The popular opinion is that a lot of the good refs have even more lucrative careers, such as the attorneys and businessmen, and will choose those careers over football. So, even though this works out in the long game, they are going to lose enough veteran refs that there will be a big influx of rookies from college. The quality of officiating will suffer significantly for a few years while the new guys learn on the job.

So you're saying no actual change before we are both dead? I can deal with that if the officiating isn't Keystone Kops at some point.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

• Maybe they will have more accountability for their terrible season altering calls.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Tical21 wrote:The popular opinion is that a lot of the good refs have even more lucrative careers, such as the attorneys and businessmen, and will choose those careers over football. So, even though this works out in the long game, they are going to lose enough veteran refs that there will be a big influx of rookies from college. The quality of officiating will suffer significantly for a few years while the new guys learn on the job.

Maybe they might actually study and train in the offseason? Interesting possibility right? People that actually know the job don't need weeks of training. If it's their actual job it takes a week at best usually. See people that referee as an actual damn job are damn well better at it than some loser doctor or worse a lawyer working part time to pay child support because he's a loser asshole. Lawyers/Doctors working part time? Really think about that.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Would love to see where you get your "popular opinion" statement. Sounds a lot like "some people say." ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• WWENFL here we come. We were close before, now we are driving hard for that final score. :2thumbs:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I'm not entirely sure what's involved when becoming a referee for the league, but if this does become a full time gig then I think using the offseason for training and having classes would be a great idea. Classes, watching tape, studying and going over the rules, mock up situations and all that would be great. Having prior experience would help, but I don't care if you're first year or a 40 year vet, offseason classes/training should be mandatory.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Starter

• sutz wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:The popular opinion is that a lot of the good refs have even more lucrative careers, such as the attorneys and businessmen, and will choose those careers over football. So, even though this works out in the long game, they are going to lose enough veteran refs that there will be a big influx of rookies from college. The quality of officiating will suffer significantly for a few years while the new guys learn on the job.

Would love to see where you get your "popular opinion" statement. Sounds a lot like "some people say." ;)

Fair enough, you're probably right. I believe that is the term Peter King used, could be wrong. Clayton also mentioned something very similar. Peter King is actually strongly against full time officials. Make your own opinions about their football knowledge, but this is the type of thing they are typically balls accurate about.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Josea16 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:The popular opinion is that a lot of the good refs have even more lucrative careers, such as the attorneys and businessmen, and will choose those careers over football. So, even though this works out in the long game, they are going to lose enough veteran refs that there will be a big influx of rookies from college. The quality of officiating will suffer significantly for a few years while the new guys learn on the job.

Maybe they might actually study and train in the offseason? Interesting possibility right? People that actually know the job don't need weeks of training. If it's their actual job it takes a week at best usually. See people that referee as an actual damn job are damn well better at it than some loser doctor or worse a lawyer working part time to pay child support because he's a loser asshole. Lawyers/Doctors working part time? Really think about that.

Generalize much? Did you just imply that you could learn to be a NFL official in a week?
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• So, what does a full time ref do during the week?
    How, exactly, will this benefit the NFL?
    Aren't the current refs used pretty much every week?
    I don't know how this works now so I am curious as to what this will do to make the refs better.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• Hmmmm. The NFL doesn't act on anything unless it means more money in their pockets. So does this maybe mean expansion? Crazier schedule (more games throughout the week and abroad)? Another layer of staggered times for more TV coverage?
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

You use the term quality pretty loosely, if what we have seen over the last 15 years or so plus since replay and the booth was involved is considered quality.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• WmHBonney wrote:So, what does a full time ref do during the week?
    I don't know how this works now so I am curious as to what this will do to make the refs better.

Great question and one I have asked many times. From what I have read referees during the season pretty much work at the craft all season and are tested, I believe, multiple times a month. What is the NFL going to do to make them "full time"? Make them work an average of 30 hours a week throughout the year? Preseason and Season last a total of 5 months, what happens the other 7? How does a label make them a better referee?

Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• I don't see the benefits of this move.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• WmHBonney wrote:So, what does a full time ref do during the week?

Some of them actually have a part time job reffing basketball. See Steretore. Some of them have seminars that help coach the College and High School level referees. A friend of mine got some lessons from Guns Hochuli in San Diego.

They shall be able to control the games and all aspects of the games. In effect, say who will win or lose. That is awesome power.

According to the referee website, Some of the ref crews take a weekend off throughout the season. The site is football Zebras and I payed attention to it both of the past 2 seasons.

This one I have no idea on. No opinion on it too.

I hope this is taken with a small grain of salt.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Attyla the Hawk wrote:I don't see the benefits of this move.

I honestly don't either, but the people I've seen on the pro full time refs say that if this happens the refs would have 12 months a year to;

- train to be fitter and faster themselves
    - watch film
    - study the dizzying amount of confusing rule changes
    - work in other leagues to stay sharp (like the new pro California league that's starting up)

IMO if you want to improve officiating, you need to do two things.

1. Start firing some of these idiots. This isn't the longshoreman's union, why are 80% of NFL refs overweight blind ass 60 year olds that can't even keep up with their grandkids, let alone world class athletes. Turn over these dinosaurs and steal the best college refs.

2. QUIT MAKING STUPID NEW JUDGEMENT CALL RULES THAT NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND. What constitutes a catch? idk? do you know? Was his intention to catch the ball? idk? Was he moving forward? Did he make a "football move?" What the hell is all this nonsense.

Roll back this crap to 1995 and let's play some football.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information