Competition committee wants full-time referees for 2017

sutz

Reaction score
Interesting idea. Been a long time coming.

JPatera76

Reaction score
This would at least ideally give some form of consistency

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
They better be training a lot during the off-season to refine their craft, too. If it turns out that they're doing the same thing they've always done but simply making more money, I'll be annoyed.

Tical21

Reaction score
The popular opinion is that a lot of the good refs have even more lucrative careers, such as the attorneys and businessmen, and will choose those careers over football. So, even though this works out in the long game, they are going to lose enough veteran refs that there will be a big influx of rookies from college. The quality of officiating will suffer significantly for a few years while the new guys learn on the job.

Josea16

Reaction score
It's around 40-45 years late but you take what you can get.

Josea16

Reaction score
Tical21":1ftnv4o0 said:
The popular opinion is that a lot of the good refs have even more lucrative careers, such as the attorneys and businessmen, and will choose those careers over football. So, even though this works out in the long game, they are going to lose enough veteran refs that there will be a big influx of rookies from college. The quality of officiating will suffer significantly for a few years while the new guys learn on the job.
So you're saying no actual change before we are both dead? I can deal with that if the officiating isn't Keystone Kops at some point.

Josea16

Reaction score
Tical21":2nzo72mg said:
Maybe they might actually study and train in the offseason? Interesting possibility right? People that actually know the job don't need weeks of training. If it's their actual job it takes a week at best usually. See people that referee as an actual damn job are damn well better at it than some loser doctor or worse a lawyer working part time to pay child support because he's a loser asshole. Lawyers/Doctors working part time? Really think about that.

sutz

Reaction score
Tical21":2qs7aefz said:
Would love to see where you get your "popular opinion" statement. Sounds a lot like "some people say." ;)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
WWENFL here we come. We were close before, now we are driving hard for that final score. :2thumbs:

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what's involved when becoming a referee for the league, but if this does become a full time gig then I think using the offseason for training and having classes would be a great idea. Classes, watching tape, studying and going over the rules, mock up situations and all that would be great. Having prior experience would help, but I don't care if you're first year or a 40 year vet, offseason classes/training should be mandatory.

Tical21

Reaction score
sutz":2ncciqmw said:
Tical21":2ncciqmw said:
Would love to see where you get your "popular opinion" statement. Sounds a lot like "some people say." ;)
Fair enough, you're probably right. I believe that is the term Peter King used, could be wrong. Clayton also mentioned something very similar. Peter King is actually strongly against full time officials. Make your own opinions about their football knowledge, but this is the type of thing they are typically balls accurate about.

Tical21

Reaction score
Josea16":1xoyzqn9 said:
Tical21":1xoyzqn9 said:
Maybe they might actually study and train in the offseason? Interesting possibility right? People that actually know the job don't need weeks of training. If it's their actual job it takes a week at best usually. See people that referee as an actual damn job are damn well better at it than some loser doctor or worse a lawyer working part time to pay child support because he's a loser asshole. Lawyers/Doctors working part time? Really think about that.
Generalize much? Did you just imply that you could learn to be a NFL official in a week?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
So, what does a full time ref do during the week?
How, exactly, will this benefit the NFL?
Aren't the current refs used pretty much every week?
I don't know how this works now so I am curious as to what this will do to make the refs better.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hmmmm. The NFL doesn't act on anything unless it means more money in their pockets. So does this maybe mean expansion? Crazier schedule (more games throughout the week and abroad)? Another layer of staggered times for more TV coverage?

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":2xviulqh said:

You use the term quality pretty loosely, if what we have seen over the last 15 years or so plus since replay and the booth was involved is considered quality.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1cgwh3qk said:
I don't know how this works now so I am curious as to what this will do to make the refs better.

Great question and one I have asked many times. From what I have read referees during the season pretty much work at the craft all season and are tested, I believe, multiple times a month. What is the NFL going to do to make them "full time"? Make them work an average of 30 hours a week throughout the year? Preseason and Season last a total of 5 months, what happens the other 7? How does a label make them a better referee?

GDwHNV9

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3du89j1e said:

Some of them actually have a part time job reffing basketball. See Steretore. Some of them have seminars that help coach the College and High School level referees. A friend of mine got some lessons from Guns Hochuli in San Diego.

They shall be able to control the games and all aspects of the games. In effect, say who will win or lose. That is awesome power.

According to the referee website, Some of the ref crews take a weekend off throughout the season. The site is football Zebras and I payed attention to it both of the past 2 seasons.

This one I have no idea on. No opinion on it too.

I hope this is taken with a small grain of salt.

Latest posts