NFL considering player ejections for dangerous hits

HawkGA

Reaction score
Does the league not think they already have enough power to steer games?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
This is so dumb. In my mind, the only plays that should open for discussion are those where the player intends to injure someone. There are too many variables and no matter how many times a play is reviewed, you can NEVER determine intent.

chris98251

Reaction score
How many hits are flagged only to be shown later to be clean ? Kams hit on Davis, Earls hit on Gronk, I am betting both get ejected and then Monday after we lose we get a Oops were sorry they were clean hits.

sdog1981

Reaction score
These rules are stupid. If the league wants to fix this they need to change the game at its foundation.

Put weight limits on players. The size and speed of players what are the root cause of these problems so let's make the players lighter. The league also gets the benefits of televising weigh-ins, we fans can get pissed because our guard weighed too heavy and can't play or a safety is too heavy and will have to play linebacker.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We are headed for flag football WWF style..SCREW THAT!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just what the league needs, another confusing arbitrary rule that the blind refs won't be able to get right.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1hbgnzus said:
This is so dumb. In my mind, the only plays that should open for discussion are those where the player intends to injure someone. There are too many variables and no matter how many times a play is reviewed, you can NEVER determine intent.

Which really could be handled by just kicking Tariq Azeez, or whatever his name is, out of the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2gvy64ik said:

They really want people to stop watching, if they can't tackle why watch this versus watching the NBA, NEITHER WILL HAVE A DEFENSE.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":bg2nzekf said:
Put weight limits on players. The size and speed of players what are the root cause of these problems so let's make the players lighter. The league also gets the benefits of televising weigh-ins, we fans can get pissed because our guard weighed too heavy and can't play or a safety is too heavy and will have to play linebacker.

Ejections for illegal hits is a better idea than this.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I really can't get behind this rule. I definitely support the player safety sentiments, but this is just another judgment call that can have some serious impacts on a game. As stated before, how many legal hits like Kam's hit on Vernon Davis would end up with a player getting tossed and then Monday the FO gets an apology and a dry cookie?

MAYBE I could get behind NFL players being ejected for dangerous hits if a player 1) Launches 2) Makes immediate contact to the neck/head area 3) Immediate booth review of the play confirms both 1 & 2 happened in a completely clear way, with the defenseless player not ducking their head down into a hit, unintentional contact to the head/neck area due to other players' contact, etc.

Even that, I have a hard time getting behind. They can review plays and penalties just about on the fly now, but it still runs the risk of slowing the game down. The flip side of that is usually when these dudes take big shots to the head, they're down for a bit, so using the injury timeouts might actually make it viable from a timing perspective?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":ve0etmen said:
IndyHawk":ve0etmen said:

They really want people to stop watching, if they can't tackle why watch this versus watching the NBA, NEITHER WILL HAVE A DEFENSE.

Or we could just change the players. Cheerleaders get ya uniforms...players are now the cheerleaders....

like this....NSFW....Verbal cursing.

[youtube]A6Ox6s1GTSk[/youtube]

253hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, like the NFL is going to eject a star player for a blatantly dirty hit before they eject some nobody for doing something half as dangerous. LeBron can take 14 steps without dribbling and Crosby can hack a guy's finger off and not even get a penalty and the NFL won't be any different with its superstar coddling. It's all money because everyone's a greedy pig.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd be ok with that if they eliminated the illegal contact rules. Along with automatic first down penalties.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't get it. We, as fans...the CUSTOMERS, do not want a safer game. We want more violence. More big hits. More injuries. Ideally, the average life span of an NFL should be around 47 years if we want to maximize entertainment.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It would have to be clarified exactly what this was, vs. the Megatron (Catch) rule.

Make the game more oblique to people following it for an actual lifetime, you make it more oblique, logic-wise, to both people taught to watch the game from childhood, and people who haven't. That would, logically, be everybody.

This benefits the NFL, exactly, how?