NFL considering player ejections for dangerous hits

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Does the league not think they already have enough power to steer games?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• This is so dumb. In my mind, the only plays that should open for discussion are those where the player intends to injure someone. There are too many variables and no matter how many times a play is reviewed, you can NEVER determine intent.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• How many hits are flagged only to be shown later to be clean ? Kams hit on Davis, Earls hit on Gronk, I am betting both get ejected and then Monday after we lose we get a Oops were sorry they were clean hits.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• HawkGA wrote:Does the league not think they already have enough power to steer games?

You might be on to something there. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• This is becoming ridiculous.

How in the hell are hits to become "illegal"?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• These rules are stupid. If the league wants to fix this they need to change the game at its foundation.

Put weight limits on players. The size and speed of players what are the root cause of these problems so let's make the players lighter. The league also gets the benefits of televising weigh-ins, we fans can get pissed because our guard weighed too heavy and can't play or a safety is too heavy and will have to play linebacker.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• We are headed for flag football WWF style..SCREW THAT!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Just what the league needs, another confusing arbitrary rule that the blind refs won't be able to get right.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• Seanhawk wrote:This is so dumb. In my mind, the only plays that should open for discussion are those where the player intends to injure someone. There are too many variables and no matter how many times a play is reviewed, you can NEVER determine intent.

Which really could be handled by just kicking Tariq Azeez, or whatever his name is, out of the league.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• IndyHawk wrote:We are headed for flag football WWF style..SCREW THAT!!!

They really want people to stop watching, if they can't tackle why watch this versus watching the NBA, NEITHER WILL HAVE A DEFENSE.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• sdog1981 wrote:
    Put weight limits on players. The size and speed of players what are the root cause of these problems so let's make the players lighter. The league also gets the benefits of televising weigh-ins, we fans can get pissed because our guard weighed too heavy and can't play or a safety is too heavy and will have to play linebacker.

Ejections for illegal hits is a better idea than this.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• I really can't get behind this rule. I definitely support the player safety sentiments, but this is just another judgment call that can have some serious impacts on a game. As stated before, how many legal hits like Kam's hit on Vernon Davis would end up with a player getting tossed and then Monday the FO gets an apology and a dry cookie?

MAYBE I could get behind NFL players being ejected for dangerous hits if a player 1) Launches 2) Makes immediate contact to the neck/head area 3) Immediate booth review of the play confirms both 1 & 2 happened in a completely clear way, with the defenseless player not ducking their head down into a hit, unintentional contact to the head/neck area due to other players' contact, etc.

Even that, I have a hard time getting behind. They can review plays and penalties just about on the fly now, but it still runs the risk of slowing the game down. The flip side of that is usually when these dudes take big shots to the head, they're down for a bit, so using the injury timeouts might actually make it viable from a timing perspective?
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:We are headed for flag football WWF style..SCREW THAT!!!

They really want people to stop watching, if they can't tackle why watch this versus watching the NBA, NEITHER WILL HAVE A DEFENSE.

Or we could just change the players. Cheerleaders get ya uniforms...players are now the cheerleaders....

like this....NSFW....Verbal cursing.

Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat. MEOW.......
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, like the NFL is going to eject a star player for a blatantly dirty hit before they eject some nobody for doing something half as dangerous. LeBron can take 14 steps without dribbling and Crosby can hack a guy's finger off and not even get a penalty and the NFL won't be any different with its superstar coddling. It's all money because everyone's a greedy pig.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• I'd be ok with that if they eliminated the illegal contact rules. Along with automatic first down penalties.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure there will be issues with implementation and enforcement, but having it available is a no-brainer. Think Amendola in the playoffs in Denver.
    purpleneer
    NET Rookie

• I don't get it. We, as fans...the CUSTOMERS, do not want a safer game. We want more violence. More big hits. More injuries. Ideally, the average life span of an NFL should be around 47 years if we want to maximize entertainment.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• It would have to be clarified exactly what this was, vs. the Megatron (Catch) rule.

Make the game more oblique to people following it for an actual lifetime, you make it more oblique, logic-wise, to both people taught to watch the game from childhood, and people who haven't. That would, logically, be everybody.

This benefits the NFL, exactly, how?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

• When a blow to the head penalty looks like this:Image
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:When a blow to the head penalty looks like this:Image

Makes me think of these every time:

UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:I don't get it. We, as fans...the CUSTOMERS, do not want a safer game. We want more violence. More big hits. More injuries. Ideally, the average life span of an NFL should be around 47 years if we want to maximize entertainment.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information