Phil Simms

HawkGA

Reaction score
So if Romo takes over the #1 spot on CBS, what the heck happens to Simms? Seems crazy to me to just dump your number one guy for an unproven quantity.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I too thought this was a strange and risky maneuver for CBS. I read CBS "may" invite Simms back.

Simms could be annoying at times like many color commentators but to take someone with zero experience and make him your #1 color guy is rather stunning. Romo never really came across as having the most exciting personality either.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am going to laugh when they get rid of Simms and he goes elsewhere then two weeks into the season Romo signs with a NFL team

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Simms' agent says there were multiple years left on his contract with CBS, so he should be more than fine financially. Plus he has that Inside the NFL gig on HBO. Maybe Amazon will pay him big money to take some lead capacity in their latest NFL venture.

chris98251

Reaction score
Simms is a very direct and pointed person, he may have said or done something that was not in the CBS "Team" spirit, you don't go from 1 to none unless you have pissed off someone, it could have been the NFL also, Simms won't pull punches there either. The NFL has the clout to say get rid of him or we look for another Network or something or give you all Thursday games with the Browns and Bills being the best game you get this season.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Simms is terrible.

a cheeseburger would be an upgrade.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I legitimately feel that Nantz could have done a better job calling the game by himself. Letting go of Simms is a win for CBS.

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":rojdxqr5 said:
Simms is a very direct and pointed person, he may have said or done something that was not in the CBS "Team" spirit, you don't go from 1 to none unless you have pissed off someone, it could have been the NFL also, Simms won't pull punches there either. The NFL has the clout to say get rid of him or we look for another Network or something or give you all Thursday games with the Browns and Bills being the best game you get this season.

I disagree

When you have a great player and can replace them with what you think is a superstar then you do it no matter what

That is what CBS is doing. They are getting a recent QB into the booth. QBs are used to breaking down the game which is why they often end up as experts and commentators but now you can get one that appeals to young people today after a year where the ratings were down. There is only room for so many people in the booth

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":24totpeb said:
chris98251":24totpeb said:

I disagree

When you have a great player and can replace them with what you think is a superstar then you do it no matter what

That is what CBS is doing. They are getting a recent QB into the booth. QBs are used to breaking down the game which is why they often end up as experts and commentators but now you can get one that appeals to young people today after a year where the ratings were down. There is only room for so many people in the booth

Simms is opinionated and controversial, there was a reason he was butting heads with Parcels all the time when he played and he has not changed. Parcels kept trying to replace him but he was that good also. He bucks authority, there are a ton of other Color Guys worse then Simms, he was in the number one crew for a reason, you don't shit can your number one color guy and replace him with a street hire unless there is something going on mid contract.

mikeak

Reaction score
As I said - I disagree :)

The Romo type guys don't come along very often. It is like the Colts getting rid of Manning to sign Luck

Not saying it worked out but this isn't "any street hire". Not only does he know football inside out, he is relatable, he comes from "America's Team" AND he is a scratch golfer that can be used for golf commentating. CBS thinks he is a future ticket for ratings

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":9sprkzoj said:

The Romo type guys don't come along very often. It is like the Colts getting rid of Manning to sign Luck

Not saying it worked out but this isn't "any street hire". Not only does he know football inside out, he is relatable, he comes from "America's Team" AND he is a scratch golfer that can be used for golf commentating. CBS thinks he is a future ticket for ratings

Retired QB's are a dime a Dozen, he got the gig because he was a Cowboy plain and simple, one that continually found a way to lose at the most critical moments his whole career.

chris98251

Reaction score
chris98251":nhdpr8mw said:
mikeak":nhdpr8mw said:

Retired QB's are a dime a Dozen, he got the gig because he was a Cowboy plain and simple, one that continually found a way to lose at the most critical moments his whole career.

As far as the Golfing aspect, since Tiger is done does anyone watch Golf now days?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":2x0yzrdh said:
chris98251":2x0yzrdh said:
mikeak":2x0yzrdh said:

As far as the Golfing aspect, since Tiger is done does anyone watch Golf now days?

The Masters....on CBS. Streaming it today. Masters dot Org.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
mikeak":5ybp8hnr said:

He certainly isn't "any street hire" but that doesn't mean he won't suck. Maybe he'll be great. But he's pretty much an unknown and that seems a strange risk for your #1 spot.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawknballs":20j5dmoe said:
Simms is terrible.

a cheeseburger would be an upgrade.

This is where I am at. IMO there isn't tremendous risk in moving on from Simms. You'd have look far and wide to find someone more annoying.

There would be risk in moving on from your "number one" color guy if they were John Madden or John Gruden. Simms has been dragging that broadcast team down the entire time. I might actually enjoy their broadcasts now even if Romo doesn't contribute, just for the blessed silence in between Nance's soothing tones.

253hawk

Reaction score
The only thing good about Simms was that he was so bad and predictable that is was fun to rip on him.

teabag_1_medium.gif

replicant

Reaction score
253hawk":20gdoeex said:
The only thing good about Simms was that he was so bad and predictable that is was fun to rip on him.

teabag_1_medium.gif

I hate when that happens.