Giants Memorabilia Scheme

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
http://nypost.com/2017/04/13/heres-proo ... ia-scheme/

"A smoking gun email from Eli Manning proves he quarterbacked a conspiracy to defraud collectors by pawning off phony game-worn gear as the real deal, according to court documents obtained by The Post.

The two-time Super Bowl MVP, who has a contract with memorabilia dealer Steiner Sports, instructed a team manager to get the bogus equipment so it could be sold off as authentic, the papers say."

RockinHawks

Reaction score
NY Post...so take it all with a very fine grain of salt.

mrt144

Reaction score
RockinHawks":f6wn0fuc said:
NY Post...so take it all with a very fine grain of salt.

Exactly! If you read The Post for anything besides a daily guffaw at whatever their over the top headlines are, you're reading it wrong.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Instead of blasting his source, we could just talk about the actual issue at hand...

[urltargetblank]http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19153348/eli-manning-new-york-giants-accused-fraud-court-documents[/urltargetblank]

According to the ESPN article, the post was the first to publish it, but the email is real and was released by the plaintiff's lawyers in the suit. The Giants' lawyers have said it's taken out of context. It will definitely be an interesting trial, but in this instance, the source of the OP's article isn't the problem.

Obviously this will go through the courts or a settlement will be reached, but either way, the outcome will be interesting. How can one trust the validity of sports memorabilia if it's found that some of the only people who can authenticate it may be lying about what it really is?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
You don't trust. You do your research.
I find photo evidence before I buy. I have photos of them wearing the exact item with telling marks on the items.

Dqr5yqpz

Bmpj88a2

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":3juxvfbn said:
I find photo evidence before I buy. I have photos of them wearing the exact item with telling marks on the items.

Dqr5yqpz

Bmpj88a2

You don't think forgers can do the exact same research?

kidhawk

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":24e03zco said:

That's just it though, we are talking not about chinese knockoffs or things like that, in this particular case, the accusation is that the team and/or player(s) were involved in the scheme to defraud. How much easier is it for someone like that to conjure up this stuff and make it appear to be real?

I've always been of the opinion (for me personally) that when I purchase anything like this, I don't do it as a collectible to resell later, I do it because I just want to have it, but if it turns out to be true that a team and/or players have been falsifying the validity of authenticated merchandise, that would be a huge hit to the entire collector community

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
If this is true and Eli ends up getting hit with a lot of blame, it's going to be a pretty big case. The email that was givin' up by the suits looks seriously condemning.

Never know, though, with so many people named, the star power of a Manning and the rest of the Giants organization. It sucks that this is my first instinct, but I expect a couple no-namers to be fall guys, Manning to have to pay a fine or suspension of some sort, and everything is swept under the rug in no time.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Seanhawk":io1ctt5p said:
ZorntoLargent":io1ctt5p said:

Dqr5yqpz

Bmpj88a2

You don't think forgers can do the exact same research?
I don't think, but I KNOW that you can't reproduce a jersey down to every single thread.
The photos are huge, I can match every thread. Seattle jerseys even have a feather pattern to match.
No two jerseys numbers can be cut the same exact way.
Same with the stitching that holds them down.
The teal on the Tate jersey is from colliding with a Dolphin player at 20+ mph.
The heat generated by the two jerseys colliding kinda melts some material onto the other jersey.
Good luck. You're hilarious.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3eaaqas4 said:
If this is true and Eli ends up getting hit with a lot of blame, it's going to be a pretty big case. The email that was givin' up by the suits looks seriously condemning.

Never know, though, with so many people named, the star power of a Manning and the rest of the Giants organization. It sucks that this is my first instinct, but I expect a couple no-namers to be fall guys, Manning to have to pay a fine or suspension of some sort, and everything is swept under the rug in no time.

The Deflater is not doing anything at the moment and I think he had a buddy too. Hire for a day and fire for the next. :twisted: :stirthepot: