Giants Memorabilia Scheme

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Giants Memorabilia Scheme
Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:28 pm
  • http://nypost.com/2017/04/13/heres-proo ... ia-scheme/

"A smoking gun email from Eli Manning proves he quarterbacked a conspiracy to defraud collectors by pawning off phony game-worn gear as the real deal, according to court documents obtained by The Post.

The two-time Super Bowl MVP, who has a contract with memorabilia dealer Steiner Sports, instructed a team manager to get the bogus equipment so it could be sold off as authentic, the papers say."
    BostonBlackie
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Giants Memorabilia Scheme
Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:50 am
  • NY Post...so take it all with a very fine grain of salt.
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:17 am
  • RockinHawks wrote:NY Post...so take it all with a very fine grain of salt.

Exactly! If you read The Post for anything besides a daily guffaw at whatever their over the top headlines are, you're reading it wrong.
    Who fires people investigating them? Guilty people.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 am
  • Instead of blasting his source, we could just talk about the actual issue at hand...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19153348/eli-manning-new-york-giants-accused-fraud-court-documents

According to the ESPN article, the post was the first to publish it, but the email is real and was released by the plaintiff's lawyers in the suit. The Giants' lawyers have said it's taken out of context. It will definitely be an interesting trial, but in this instance, the source of the OP's article isn't the problem.

Obviously this will go through the courts or a settlement will be reached, but either way, the outcome will be interesting. How can one trust the validity of sports memorabilia if it's found that some of the only people who can authenticate it may be lying about what it really is?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 am
  • You don't trust. You do your research.
    I find photo evidence before I buy. I have photos of them wearing the exact item with telling marks on the items.

ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:54 am
  • ZorntoLargent wrote:You don't trust. You do your research.
    I find photo evidence before I buy. I have photos of them wearing the exact item with telling marks on the items.

You don't think forgers can do the exact same research?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:15 am
  • ZorntoLargent wrote:You don't trust. You do your research.

That's just it though, we are talking not about chinese knockoffs or things like that, in this particular case, the accusation is that the team and/or player(s) were involved in the scheme to defraud. How much easier is it for someone like that to conjure up this stuff and make it appear to be real?

I've always been of the opinion (for me personally) that when I purchase anything like this, I don't do it as a collectible to resell later, I do it because I just want to have it, but if it turns out to be true that a team and/or players have been falsifying the validity of authenticated merchandise, that would be a huge hit to the entire collector community

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 pm
  • If this is true and Eli ends up getting hit with a lot of blame, it's going to be a pretty big case. The email that was givin' up by the suits looks seriously condemning.

Never know, though, with so many people named, the star power of a Manning and the rest of the Giants organization. It sucks that this is my first instinct, but I expect a couple no-namers to be fall guys, Manning to have to pay a fine or suspension of some sort, and everything is swept under the rug in no time.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 pm
  • This is what proves that Brady is smarter than the Mannings

DESTROY THE EVIDENCE
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:58 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    ZorntoLargent wrote:You don't trust. You do your research.

You don't think forgers can do the exact same research?

I don't think, but I KNOW that you can't reproduce a jersey down to every single thread.
    The photos are huge, I can match every thread. Seattle jerseys even have a feather pattern to match.
    No two jerseys numbers can be cut the same exact way.
    Same with the stitching that holds them down.
    The teal on the Tate jersey is from colliding with a Dolphin player at 20+ mph.
    The heat generated by the two jerseys colliding kinda melts some material onto the other jersey.
    Good luck. You're hilarious.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:If this is true and Eli ends up getting hit with a lot of blame, it's going to be a pretty big case. The email that was givin' up by the suits looks seriously condemning.

Never know, though, with so many people named, the star power of a Manning and the rest of the Giants organization. It sucks that this is my first instinct, but I expect a couple no-namers to be fall guys, Manning to have to pay a fine or suspension of some sort, and everything is swept under the rug in no time.

The Deflater is not doing anything at the moment and I think he had a buddy too. Hire for a day and fire for the next. :twisted: :stirthepot:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat. MEOW.......
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:34 am
  • So, I'm thinking Eli-to-NE when Brady retires? He'll fit right in.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:03 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:So, I'm thinking Eli-to-NE when Brady retires? He'll fit right in.

That would stop him from beating us anymore.
    BostonBlackie
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 am
  • The poor guy is just trying to scrape by on an NFL QB's salary. Can you blame him?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information