Joe Thomas already experiencing memory loss

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Not good for an active player to be exhibiting memory loss symptoms.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/br ... aved1pi3yt

He claims his memory is not what it used to be and that he's forgetting things to buy at the grocery store, etc. but isn't sure if it's football related or "because he's 32." A real shame if he's already having CTE related symptoms.

mikeak

Reaction score
Agreed and I just can't believe someone with those symptoms that earned over $100million doesn't walk away

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I'm in my 20's and have yet to go into a grocery store without forgetting mult items. Never had a concussion.

mikeak

Reaction score
Trrrroy":ok9gleef said:
I'm in my 20's and have yet to go into a grocery store without forgetting mult items. Never had a concussion.

I thought about that as I am sure we all have the same issue, but I did read his as somewhat different

On a separate note add anylist on your phone. Add items as you run out and share it with anyone else living in your household and they can add / delete items. It is great. Also lumps items together on its own so all produce items are together and all meats etc are in a different section so you don't go back and forth in the store

nanomoz

Reaction score
Depression could be the cause. And I'd be depressed if I spent my entire career in that shambles of an organization.

mrt144

Reaction score
mikeak":15pv4fzk said:
Trrrroy":15pv4fzk said:

I thought about that as I am sure we all have the same issue, but I did read his as somewhat different

On a separate note add anylist on your phone. Add items as you run out and share it with anyone else living in your household and they can add / delete items. It is great. Also lumps items together on its own so all produce items are together and all meats etc are in a different section so you don't go back and forth in the store

Dude, this is on point. I use a google doc with my wife, same diff but it makes everything easier. I started doing it at 31. I have had multiple concussions though...so...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I've noticed this in the last five years myself (I'm 34), and I've never had a concussion. I put my grocery list in Google Docs now like mrt144 mentioned. I remember in my mid-20s I could go to Fred Meyer and remember all 20 things I needed to get, can't do that now...

That being said, I feel bad for players that are developing CTE and it's a horrible thing. My dad had a stroke on Christmas Day of 2000 that left him with short-term memory impairment, he has trouble remembering things all the time, and it's sad to watch.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not to make fun of a serious issue, but I've always had CRS (can't remember shit) issues, even before I had a concussion playing HS football over 30 years ago. If I need to remember 4 things before I leave the house,
I'll remember 3 of them, then when halfway to where I'm going I'll remember the thing I forgot.

I just chalk it up to the way I'm wired, and or my little Pea Brain only has so much space in it. 8)

Hopefully Joe Thomas will get out of the game and live a quality life.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hopefully he forgets he's a Brown and shows up to training camp in Seattle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Memory can be affected by what level of stress your under on a day to day basis and your sleep, also if you don't keep it exercised and rely on lists and phone apps your not working it as hard, think of it as a muscle, over usage such as stress and running with little rest fatigues it like working with little fuel for your muscles, under usage and you start losing muscle mass.

Usually it's short term that suffers.

No I am no Dr. but have had way to much experience since 2007 on how brains work and how to get them to function better.

IrishNW

Reaction score
This is Joe Thomas trolling the NFL. Forgetting what to get at the grocery store? lawl

Popeyejones

Reaction score
mikeak":3dvt7mnf said:
On a separate note add anylist on your phone.

Hadn't heard of it, and within 30 minutes of reading your post it's now in active use in my household.

They're doing a lot of little things really right that IMO bump them above all the other list apps I've installed and deleted over the years for this purpose (binning items in store sections; having a recipe import tab and meal plan tab; instantaneous updating across shared users; having a "leave the screen on while the app is open" setting (constantly unlocking each time the screen turns off while grocery shopping is one of those totally annoying little annoyances that sent me back to a paper list until now)).

Thanks for the tip. :2thumbs:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It seems to me that what, for lack of a better term, I call forgetfulness is becoming more and more common at a relatively young age. I have even seen it in teenagers. It is quite different from the memory loss we see that is related to age or traumatic brain injury. It manifests as difficulty recalling common words or phrases, lists, events etc.

I suspect it has something to do with the profound change in information access that has happened over my lifetime. When I was a child, we had to go to the library and use the card catalog to find the books to look up facts. Now, there is more information available in my pocket than was available in all the libraries in my college hometown.

As we become more and more reliant on, "let me Google that," and less and less reliant on having to remember the details, I suspect this forgetfulness will get worse.

mikeak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1qrvbo7s said:
mikeak":1qrvbo7s said:
On a separate note add anylist on your phone.

Hadn't heard of it, and within 30 minutes of reading your post it's now in active use in my household.

They're doing a lot of little things really right that IMO bump them above all the other list apps I've installed and deleted over the years for this purpose (binning items in store sections; having a recipe import tab and meal plan tab; instantaneous updating across shared users; having a "leave the screen on while the app is open" setting (constantly unlocking each time the screen turns off while grocery shopping is one of those totally annoying little annoyances that sent me back to a paper list until now)).

Thanks for the tip. :2thumbs:

Wait they have a seti g to leave the screen on while using the app? Activating right away. Now I need to check if that function is available with my recipients apps!!!'

You just paid for he tip and yes love the app

I would tell Thomas about it as well but he may not remember to use it...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3lj350uz said:
It seems to me that what, for lack of a better term, I call forgetfulness is becoming more and more common at a relatively young age. I have even seen it in teenagers. It is quite different from the memory loss we see that is related to age or traumatic brain injury. It manifests as difficulty recalling common words or phrases, lists, events etc.

I suspect it has something to do with the profound change in information access that has happened over my lifetime. When I was a child, we had to go to the library and use the card catalog to find the books to look up facts. Now, there is more information available in my pocket than was available in all the libraries in my college hometown.

As we become more and more reliant on, "let me Google that," and less and less reliant on having to remember the details, I suspect this forgetfulness will get worse.
I completely agree with all of this, and have noticed it in myself and in others; especially with reliance upon GPS navigation. I remember I could drive someplace new with the printout from MapQuest when I was like 18 and remember almost all of it after having done it once, now I don't memorize the path to someplace new (not talking about a 5-10 minute drive, but something further away, like 30+ min) until I've followed my GPS there like 4-5 times.

mrt144

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":37e5evcz said:
bigskydoc":37e5evcz said:

I completely agree with all of this, and have noticed it in myself and in others; especially with reliance upon GPS navigation. I remember I could drive someplace new with the printout from MapQuest when I was like 18 and remember almost all of it after having done it once, now I don't memorize the path to someplace new (not talking about a 5-10 minute drive, but something further away, like 30+ min) until I've followed my GPS there like 4-5 times.

Offloading specific mental tasks to technology has to be being studied at the moment, somewhere. Would love to see it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3o83atyf said:
Hopefully he forgets he's a Brown and shows up to training camp in Seattle.

With the Seahawks luck regarding the OL (lack thereof)...he'll probably forget how to block once he arrives here.

sdog1981

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2es1yd9a said:
bigskydoc":2es1yd9a said:

I'm with both of you guys on this one. I remember the phone numbers of my friends from 20 years ago because I had to dial all seven numbers. I don't know the numbers of any of my friends now because it is just saved as a contact in my phone.