Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Joe Thomas already experiencing memory loss

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Not good for an active player to be exhibiting memory loss symptoms.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/br ... aved1pi3yt

He claims his memory is not what it used to be and that he's forgetting things to buy at the grocery store, etc. but isn't sure if it's football related or "because he's 32." A real shame if he's already having CTE related symptoms.
    2017 Adopt a Rookie: Tedric Thompson
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Agreed and I just can't believe someone with those symptoms that earned over $100million doesn't walk away
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I'm in my 20's and have yet to go into a grocery store without forgetting mult items. Never had a concussion.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:I'm in my 20's and have yet to go into a grocery store without forgetting mult items. Never had a concussion.

I thought about that as I am sure we all have the same issue, but I did read his as somewhat different

On a separate note add anylist on your phone. Add items as you run out and share it with anyone else living in your household and they can add / delete items. It is great. Also lumps items together on its own so all produce items are together and all meats etc are in a different section so you don't go back and forth in the store
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I'm 33 and have an above average memory. Yesterday I couldn't remember the word for bun.
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:I'm in my 20's and have yet to go into a grocery store without forgetting mult items. Never had a concussion.

I thought about that as I am sure we all have the same issue, but I did read his as somewhat different

On a separate note add anylist on your phone. Add items as you run out and share it with anyone else living in your household and they can add / delete items. It is great. Also lumps items together on its own so all produce items are together and all meats etc are in a different section so you don't go back and forth in the store

Dude, this is on point. I use a google doc with my wife, same diff but it makes everything easier. I started doing it at 31. I have had multiple concussions though...so...
    Who fires people investigating them? Guilty people.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• I've noticed this in the last five years myself (I'm 34), and I've never had a concussion. I put my grocery list in Google Docs now like mrt144 mentioned. I remember in my mid-20s I could go to Fred Meyer and remember all 20 things I needed to get, can't do that now...

That being said, I feel bad for players that are developing CTE and it's a horrible thing. My dad had a stroke on Christmas Day of 2000 that left him with short-term memory impairment, he has trouble remembering things all the time, and it's sad to watch.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Not to make fun of a serious issue, but I've always had CRS (can't remember shit) issues, even before I had a concussion playing HS football over 30 years ago. If I need to remember 4 things before I leave the house,
    I'll remember 3 of them, then when halfway to where I'm going I'll remember the thing I forgot.

I just chalk it up to the way I'm wired, and or my little Pea Brain only has so much space in it. 8)

Hopefully Joe Thomas will get out of the game and live a quality life.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hopefully he forgets he's a Brown and shows up to training camp in Seattle.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Memory can be affected by what level of stress your under on a day to day basis and your sleep, also if you don't keep it exercised and rely on lists and phone apps your not working it as hard, think of it as a muscle, over usage such as stress and running with little rest fatigues it like working with little fuel for your muscles, under usage and you start losing muscle mass.

Usually it's short term that suffers.

No I am no Dr. but have had way to much experience since 2007 on how brains work and how to get them to function better.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• This is Joe Thomas trolling the NFL. Forgetting what to get at the grocery store? lawl
    IrishNW
    NET Starter

• mikeak wrote:On a separate note add anylist on your phone.

Hadn't heard of it, and within 30 minutes of reading your post it's now in active use in my household.

They're doing a lot of little things really right that IMO bump them above all the other list apps I've installed and deleted over the years for this purpose (binning items in store sections; having a recipe import tab and meal plan tab; instantaneous updating across shared users; having a "leave the screen on while the app is open" setting (constantly unlocking each time the screen turns off while grocery shopping is one of those totally annoying little annoyances that sent me back to a paper list until now)).

Thanks for the tip. :2thumbs:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• It seems to me that what, for lack of a better term, I call forgetfulness is becoming more and more common at a relatively young age. I have even seen it in teenagers. It is quite different from the memory loss we see that is related to age or traumatic brain injury. It manifests as difficulty recalling common words or phrases, lists, events etc.

I suspect it has something to do with the profound change in information access that has happened over my lifetime. When I was a child, we had to go to the library and use the card catalog to find the books to look up facts. Now, there is more information available in my pocket than was available in all the libraries in my college hometown.

As we become more and more reliant on, "let me Google that," and less and less reliant on having to remember the details, I suspect this forgetfulness will get worse.
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    mikeak wrote:On a separate note add anylist on your phone.

Hadn't heard of it, and within 30 minutes of reading your post it's now in active use in my household.

They're doing a lot of little things really right that IMO bump them above all the other list apps I've installed and deleted over the years for this purpose (binning items in store sections; having a recipe import tab and meal plan tab; instantaneous updating across shared users; having a "leave the screen on while the app is open" setting (constantly unlocking each time the screen turns off while grocery shopping is one of those totally annoying little annoyances that sent me back to a paper list until now)).

Thanks for the tip. :2thumbs:

Wait they have a seti g to leave the screen on while using the app? Activating right away. Now I need to check if that function is available with my recipients apps!!!'

You just paid for he tip and yes love the app

I would tell Thomas about it as well but he may not remember to use it...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:I'm 33 and have an above average memory. Yesterday I couldn't remember the word for bun.

Meat wallet.
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote:It seems to me that what, for lack of a better term, I call forgetfulness is becoming more and more common at a relatively young age. I have even seen it in teenagers. It is quite different from the memory loss we see that is related to age or traumatic brain injury. It manifests as difficulty recalling common words or phrases, lists, events etc.

I suspect it has something to do with the profound change in information access that has happened over my lifetime. When I was a child, we had to go to the library and use the card catalog to find the books to look up facts. Now, there is more information available in my pocket than was available in all the libraries in my college hometown.

As we become more and more reliant on, "let me Google that," and less and less reliant on having to remember the details, I suspect this forgetfulness will get worse.

I completely agree with all of this, and have noticed it in myself and in others; especially with reliance upon GPS navigation. I remember I could drive someplace new with the printout from MapQuest when I was like 18 and remember almost all of it after having done it once, now I don't memorize the path to someplace new (not talking about a 5-10 minute drive, but something further away, like 30+ min) until I've followed my GPS there like 4-5 times.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:It seems to me that what, for lack of a better term, I call forgetfulness is becoming more and more common at a relatively young age. I have even seen it in teenagers. It is quite different from the memory loss we see that is related to age or traumatic brain injury. It manifests as difficulty recalling common words or phrases, lists, events etc.

I completely agree with all of this, and have noticed it in myself and in others; especially with reliance upon GPS navigation. I remember I could drive someplace new with the printout from MapQuest when I was like 18 and remember almost all of it after having done it once, now I don't memorize the path to someplace new (not talking about a 5-10 minute drive, but something further away, like 30+ min) until I've followed my GPS there like 4-5 times.

Offloading specific mental tasks to technology has to be being studied at the moment, somewhere. Would love to see it.
    Who fires people investigating them? Guilty people.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:Hopefully he forgets he's a Brown and shows up to training camp in Seattle.

With the Seahawks luck regarding the OL (lack thereof)...he'll probably forget how to block once he arrives here.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:It seems to me that what, for lack of a better term, I call forgetfulness is becoming more and more common at a relatively young age. I have even seen it in teenagers. It is quite different from the memory loss we see that is related to age or traumatic brain injury. It manifests as difficulty recalling common words or phrases, lists, events etc.

I'm with both of you guys on this one. I remember the phone numbers of my friends from 20 years ago because I had to dial all seven numbers. I don't know the numbers of any of my friends now because it is just saved as a contact in my phone.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• It seems to me that what, for lack of a better term, I call forgetfulness is becoming more and more common at a relatively young age. I have even seen it in teenagers. It is quite different from the memory loss we see that is related to age or traumatic brain injury. It manifests as difficulty recalling common words or phrases, lists, events etc....

Wait, did I already respond to this thread?
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information