Draft 1st round winners

mikeak

Reaction score
In my opinion three teams that came out as winners tonight are

1) Cleveland. Not only smart good picks but used the draft capital and moved both up and down and stayed smart. Also with not drafting a QB and rolling with Osweiler they secured next years first pick which will put a QB on an otherwise good teamIMHO

2) 49ers. Moving down one spot and getting the guy they wanted plus two 3rd rounders and a 4th was smart and played well. Then rumor is hey consider foster with their no 3 pick and if correct they just gave up less than they gained at the beginning of the round to grab him

3) Houston was a QB away from a very good season last year. Opinions are split on Watson but he will undoubtedly be better than what they had. I honk they will be very dangerous next year

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
This is a steal for the 49ers. They were choosing between Foster and Solomon at number 2, and ended up getting both PLUS an extra third round pick. Unbelievable.

Special thanks to the Seahawks for the trade.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":yzo6tgzj said:
This is a steal for the 49ers. They were choosing between Foster and Solomon at number 2, and ended up getting both PLUS an extra third round pick. Unbelievable.

I just hope Foster stays healthy and doesnt follow in Aldon Smiths shoes. I understand the Solomon pick but I wish we could have traded back again. I wanted Adams. I can only assume with the depth of CB in this draft they plan on moving Ward. At worst Armstead will be on the way out, at best he can play Leo and help keep the DL fresh late into games. Even with these knocks I am very excited.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So they were considering a guy for the 3rd pick they got at 31?

Probably a reason for that, no?

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Considering they have a new regime I assume you don't mean that their inept FO is why they are picking 3rd and don't know how to evaluate players

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2zbk62qk said:

Correct, diluted sample and possible off field issues. Has a tendency to get stingers during games and recently had rotator cuff surgery. Based on how Lynch handled the Brock situation(released) I would expect an understanding that Foster is on a short leash and a zero tolerance policy. At 31 that's still a strong investment. However, he is quite talented.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/27/nfl-d ... und-grades

chris98251

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":wnreh8pi said:
Uncle Si":wnreh8pi said:

Correct, diluted sample and possible off field issues. Has a tendency to get stingers during games and recently had rotator cuff surgery. Based on how Lynch handled the Brock situation(released) I would expect an understanding that Foster is on a short leash and a zero tolerance policy due to the black eye of previous seasons of incidents but even at 31 thats an investment.

If he knocks guys out ala Kam then tolerance will be increased, Lynch after all was a beast early in his career as well and that's the image he wants the 49ers to have. I am not worried really, when the 49ers were contenders and your defense made people pay attention it just made the Seahawks better. This Staff will be paying attention I am sure.

NINEster

Reaction score
mikeak":1fx2otz4 said:

1) Cleveland. Not only smart good picks but used the draft capital and moved both up and down and stayed smart. Also with not drafting a QB and rolling with Osweiler they secured next years first pick which will put a QB on an otherwise good teamIMHO

2) 49ers. Moving down one spot and getting the guy they wanted plus two 3rd rounders and a 4th was smart and played well. Then rumor is hey consider foster with their no 3 pick and if correct they just gave up less than they gained at the beginning of the round to grab him

3) Houston was a QB away from a very good season last year. Opinions are split on Watson but he will undoubtedly be better than what they had. I honk they will be very dangerous next year

Someone told me Cleveland has enough draft capital to get whatever QB they want next year.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ugs3nws said:

He's a top 5 talent who lost his cool to a hospital staff worker, has a shoulder injury, and possibly smokes weed.

However, not all great talents with off field issues don't pan out. For example, NaVorro Bowman.

http://www.dailylocal.com/article/DL/20 ... /304239927

getnasty

Reaction score
NINEster":3i0m15zy said:
mikeak":3i0m15zy said:

Someone told me Cleveland has enough draft capital to get whatever QB they want next year.

When you pick number one you always have get to choose who you want.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
getnasty":1fxgm9fw said:
When you pick number one you always have get to choose who you want.

I like what they did the rest of the round. To move down when their QB was off the board and get more picks. They are now building from the ground up and not doing the same dance as normal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1ppdm5ii said:

Yeah wasn't happy about that last trade giving the Niners arguably an all pro LB for a decade. I never like trading within the division.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nbu64qk said:
5_Golden_Rings":3nbu64qk said:

Yeah wasn't happy about that last trade giving the Niners arguably an all pro LB for a decade. I never like trading within the division.

and it is definitely who they wanted

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story ... -nfl-draft

"When things got more serious, they sent vice president of football affairs Keena Turner and team chaplain Earl Smith to Tuscaloosa to meet with Foster for two days."

Marvin49

Reaction score
I LOVE the Foster pick but I do recognize the significant risk in it. Picking him at 31 tho is VERY different then taking him at 2 or 3.

The shoulder honestly is my biggest concern but is it really more concerning than Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith last year who were both taken only a few picks later? According to Foster himself tho, New Orleans had already told him he was their pick at 32 so Niners HAD to move to get him.

I think my biggest surprise tho was that it was a trade with Seattle. The last time I can remember the Niners trading up with NFC West rival in round 1 for a defender was '94 when they moved up with the Rams for Bryant Young.

If Foster is even 80% of what Young was this was a steal.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I read that Foster might need another shoulder surgery and might have to be redshirted in 2017. If so, classic Niners.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Marvin49":1wcb0sn6 said:
I LOVE the Foster pick but I do recognize the significant risk in it. Picking him at 31 tho is VERY different then taking him at 2 or 3.

The shoulder honestly is my biggest concern but is it really more concerning than Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith last year who were both taken only a few picks later? According to Foster himself tho, New Orleans had already told him he was their pick at 32 so Niners HAD to move to get him.

I think my biggest surprise tho was that it was a trade with Seattle. The last time I can remember the Niners trading up with NFC West rival in round 1 for a defender was '94 when they moved up with the Rams for Bryant Young.

If Foster is even 80% of what Young was this was a steal.

With the NO information it makes perfect sense

We rather let the 49ers have Foster than a team that we might have to play in the playoffs :D :stirthepot:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":1x747zwr said:
nanomoz":1x747zwr said:
I read that Foster might need another shoulder surgery and might have to be redshirted in 2017. If so, classic Niners.

49ers medical staff checked him out and don't believe he needs another surgery. Foster himself says he feels he is at 90% right now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... er-surgery

When have you ever read or heard that a player didn't say he was good to go and felt great, especially before a draft.

Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous about this trade, cause Foster's a stud. But I don't take a player's word farther than I can throw him.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3o0ftqdd said:
Sourdough #49":3o0ftqdd said:
nanomoz":3o0ftqdd said:

49ers medical staff checked him out and don't believe he needs another surgery. Foster himself says he feels he is at 90% right now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... er-surgery

When have you ever read or heard that a player didn't say he was good to go and felt great, especially before a draft.

Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous about this trade, cause Foster's a stud. But I don't take a player's word farther than I can throw him.

Very true. Lynch suggested if Thomas was taken by the Bears at 2 we might have taken Foster at 3. Lets just say I am very happy from a value standpoint the way the cards landed. As talented as Foster is, taking him at 3 would be tough to swallow.