Browns to Cut TE Barnidge

kidhawk

Reaction score
On Thursday night, Gary Barnidge took to Twitter to welcome rookie tight end David Njoku to the Browns.

One day later, Barnidge returned to tweet his farewell to Cleveland

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport confirmed that the Browns on Friday informed Barnidge that he would be cut by the team just 16 months after inking a four-year, $13.5 million extension.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000803896/article/browns-to-cut-veteran-tight-end-gary-barnidge[/urltargetblank]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cleveland Browns being the Browns. He was a top receiver for them and now they are releasing him. That is an example of a franchise in chaos....they have no clue what they are doing.

mistaowen

Reaction score
He's a good player, not like they are cap strapped at all. Weird move.....

naholmes

Reaction score
He's an older player and not one of Hue Jackson's guys, who is coming off a decent season but not close to the breakout he had the year before. They are probably doing him a favor by releasing him now so he can latch on with another team. The Browns are still lacking a QB and will not compete for a playoff spot this season. It makes sense for them to move on with Njoku and DeValve (4th round last year) as their top guys.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Yup dumb move. Why not have a position of strength IE. the Pats with multiple good to great TE.s but no. Browns gonna Browns.

naholmes

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1dmrmiea said:
Yup dumb move. Why not have a position of strength IE. the Pats with multiple good to great TE.s but no. Browns gonna Browns.
I disagree, the Browns are going to suck again this year with or without Barnidge because they don't have a QB. Better to play the young guys and carryover a bit more cap into next season in case they go after Cousins. Barnidge is nothing special anyway he had a thousand yard year because McCown locked onto him but followed it up with 600. I bet Njoku surpassess that as a rookie.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
naholmes":1u6qf9w0 said:
gowazzu02":1u6qf9w0 said:
I disagree, the Browns are going to suck again this year with or without Barnidge because they don't have a QB. Better to play the young guys and carryover a bit more cap into next season in case they go after Cousins. Barnidge is nothing special anyway he had a thousand yard year because McCown locked onto him but followed it up with 600. I bet Njoku surpassess that as a rookie.

He had a "down" year because he was injured for a good portion of it. Couple that with the Browns changing QB's as often as they did and he had a down year. Doesn't mean his ability to get open or to catch the ball has decreased. Is Graham less of a player because his numbers are lower now than they used to be? Of course not. This game is so much deeper than any single stat.

The thing I'm more inclined to worry about is if he's totally healed up from his injury or if he's going to just have an injury riddled career. He's still a solid pick up for a team in need of a good TE as long as he's healthy