Vikes won't use 5th-year option on Teddy Bridgewater

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Must be pretty bad. :?

The Minnesota Vikings will not exercise the fifth-year option on quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

The move comes as Bridgewater continues to rehab his brutal knee injury suffered last summer. The quarterback dislocated his knee and tore his ACL.

The injury places Bridgewater's NFL future in limbo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m=referral

MrThortan

Reaction score
I feel bad for Bridgewater. He was showing signs of continual improvement and seemed like a nice young man. If he is ready to play next year, i just don't know if he can get back behind the line and be and NFL caliber QB. If the Vikings don't pick him up, I do see some teams taking a chance on him though, and he will at least get the opportunity to compete for a roster spot.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
No brainer move....He is signed through this upcoming year anyway so they can evaluate him later in the season. Extending him would cost them over 10+ million guarnteed

HawkGA

Reaction score
I have a hard time feeling sorry for anybody, especially professional athletes (or coaches). But I admit I have a bit of sympathy for him.

That said, Bradford is the luckiest SOB in the world.

Seafan

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1w69gu6f said:
No brainer move....He is signed through this upcoming year anyway so they can evaluate him later in the season. Extending him would cost them over 10+ million guarnteed

True dat. Wouldn't be surprised if they waive him. The injury he suffered was horrific and he needed all the lateral quickness he could muster with his long wind up delivery. Time to move on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seafan":1wxzkkej said:
WilsonMVP":1wxzkkej said:

True dat. Wouldn't be surprised if they waive him. The injury he suffered was horrific and he needed all the lateral quickness he could muster with his long wind up delivery. Time to move on.

They haven't "moved on." They have limited their investment in his future for the time being

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
MrThortan":wz7tt9iw said:
I feel bad for Bridgewater. He was showing signs of continual improvement and seemed like a nice young man. If he is ready to play next year, i just don't know if he can get back behind the line and be and NFL caliber QB. If the Vikings don't pick him up, I do see some teams taking a chance on him though, and he will at least get the opportunity to compete for a roster spot.

I think he could of carved out an Alex Smith kind of career had he not been injured.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3rdrp6u9 said:
Seafan":3rdrp6u9 said:
WilsonMVP":3rdrp6u9 said:

They haven't "moved on." They have limited their investment in his future for the time being

They will see how he is coming along and also how Bradford is doing and make a decision later in the season would be my guess. I assume they can still extend him during the season correct? Either that or let him test the FA market which TBH a team would have to be nuts to sign him for a contract worth anything with the injury he had, and its not like he was setting the NFL on fire

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I've kinda always thought his playing days were over after that injury.

There was just something about the way they described at the time that really made it seem worse than just about anything short of Joe Theisman. I remember they talked about teammates being literally nauseated and that the quick action by the staff on site actually saved his leg from eventual amputation.

All from a non-contact injury!

It just seemed beyond super-horrible over the radio; I can't imagine what it was like to be there, or worse, to suffer it.

rjdriver

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1f4suwnj said:
I've kinda always thought his playing days were over after that injury.

There was just something about the way they described at the time that really made it seem worse than just about anything short of Joe Theisman. I remember they talked about teammates being literally nauseated and that the quick action by the staff on site actually saved his leg from eventual amputation.

All from a non-contact injury!

It just seemed beyond super-horrible over the radio; I can't imagine what it was like to be there, or worse, to suffer it.

Anytime someone's career and passion are taken away from them, I can't help but feel compassion. He seems like a nice kid. I feel kind of the same way. What really "hit" me was when there were reports of his teammates vomiting at the gruesome nature of his injury. These are men accustomed to seeing injuriues on a daily basis, so it must have been pretty catastrophic.

RiverDog

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2rdp3t5z said:

Yup. The Vikings would have to had been insane to have picked up his last year even if they didn't have a legitimate starter on their roster, which they do.

And like others in this thread, I have a hard time feeling sorry for a person that's going to earn 10 times more in 4 years than most people make in a lifetime. There needs to be a different term for the sentiment besides sympathy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'm sympathetic that he won't get to live out what I'm assuming were life long dreams.

Not everything revolves around the money. But yes, he will be ok.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that because they don't expect him to come back at all this year that this season won't eat up a year of NFL experience...

...IE they get him for the 5th year anyway without the large contract.

No brainer.

Niners had similar situation with Marcus Lattimore.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Marvin49":27ppvl7i said:
I think I read somewhere that because they don't expect him to come back at all this year that this season won't eat up a year of NFL experience...

...IE they get him for the 5th year anyway without the large contract.

No brainer.

Niners had similar situation with Marcus Lattimore.

I dont think it will matter either way. Bradford IMO is going to be the Franchise QB there for the next 5+ years. He had a great season considering the shit show that occured throughout the season with the team and he didnt even get an offseason with them last year