Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Vikes won't use 5th-year option on Teddy Bridgewater

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Must be pretty bad. :?

The Minnesota Vikings will not exercise the fifth-year option on quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

The move comes as Bridgewater continues to rehab his brutal knee injury suffered last summer. The quarterback dislocated his knee and tore his ACL.

The injury places Bridgewater's NFL future in limbo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m=referral
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• The rumor is Bridgewater won't be ready until the 2018 season. That's what I heard, anyway.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I feel bad for Bridgewater. He was showing signs of continual improvement and seemed like a nice young man. If he is ready to play next year, i just don't know if he can get back behind the line and be and NFL caliber QB. If the Vikings don't pick him up, I do see some teams taking a chance on him though, and he will at least get the opportunity to compete for a roster spot.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• No brainer move....He is signed through this upcoming year anyway so they can evaluate him later in the season. Extending him would cost them over 10+ million guarnteed

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• I have a hard time feeling sorry for anybody, especially professional athletes (or coaches). But I admit I have a bit of sympathy for him.

That said, Bradford is the luckiest SOB in the world.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• WilsonMVP wrote:No brainer move....He is signed through this upcoming year anyway so they can evaluate him later in the season. Extending him would cost them over 10+ million guarnteed

True dat. Wouldn't be surprised if they waive him. The injury he suffered was horrific and he needed all the lateral quickness he could muster with his long wind up delivery. Time to move on.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Seafan wrote:
    WilsonMVP wrote:No brainer move....He is signed through this upcoming year anyway so they can evaluate him later in the season. Extending him would cost them over 10+ million guarnteed

True dat. Wouldn't be surprised if they waive him. The injury he suffered was horrific and he needed all the lateral quickness he could muster with his long wind up delivery. Time to move on.

They haven't "moved on." They have limited their investment in his future for the time being
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• MrThortan wrote:I feel bad for Bridgewater. He was showing signs of continual improvement and seemed like a nice young man. If he is ready to play next year, i just don't know if he can get back behind the line and be and NFL caliber QB. If the Vikings don't pick him up, I do see some teams taking a chance on him though, and he will at least get the opportunity to compete for a roster spot.

I think he could of carved out an Alex Smith kind of career had he not been injured.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Seafan wrote:
    WilsonMVP wrote:No brainer move....He is signed through this upcoming year anyway so they can evaluate him later in the season. Extending him would cost them over 10+ million guarnteed

They haven't "moved on." They have limited their investment in his future for the time being

They will see how he is coming along and also how Bradford is doing and make a decision later in the season would be my guess. I assume they can still extend him during the season correct? Either that or let him test the FA market which TBH a team would have to be nuts to sign him for a contract worth anything with the injury he had, and its not like he was setting the NFL on fire

WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• I've kinda always thought his playing days were over after that injury.

There was just something about the way they described at the time that really made it seem worse than just about anything short of Joe Theisman. I remember they talked about teammates being literally nauseated and that the quick action by the staff on site actually saved his leg from eventual amputation.

All from a non-contact injury!

It just seemed beyond super-horrible over the radio; I can't imagine what it was like to be there, or worse, to suffer it.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

• VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:I've kinda always thought his playing days were over after that injury.

There was just something about the way they described at the time that really made it seem worse than just about anything short of Joe Theisman. I remember they talked about teammates being literally nauseated and that the quick action by the staff on site actually saved his leg from eventual amputation.

All from a non-contact injury!

It just seemed beyond super-horrible over the radio; I can't imagine what it was like to be there, or worse, to suffer it.

Anytime someone's career and passion are taken away from them, I can't help but feel compassion. He seems like a nice kid. I feel kind of the same way. What really "hit" me was when there were reports of his teammates vomiting at the gruesome nature of his injury. These are men accustomed to seeing injuriues on a daily basis, so it must have been pretty catastrophic.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• WilsonMVP wrote:No brainer move....He is signed through this upcoming year anyway so they can evaluate him later in the season. Extending him would cost them over 10+ million guarnteed

Yup. The Vikings would have to had been insane to have picked up his last year even if they didn't have a legitimate starter on their roster, which they do.

And like others in this thread, I have a hard time feeling sorry for a person that's going to earn 10 times more in 4 years than most people make in a lifetime. There needs to be a different term for the sentiment besides sympathy.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• I'm sympathetic that he won't get to live out what I'm assuming were life long dreams.

Not everything revolves around the money. But yes, he will be ok.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I think I read somewhere that because they don't expect him to come back at all this year that this season won't eat up a year of NFL experience...

...IE they get him for the 5th year anyway without the large contract.

No brainer.

Niners had similar situation with Marcus Lattimore.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:I think I read somewhere that because they don't expect him to come back at all this year that this season won't eat up a year of NFL experience...

...IE they get him for the 5th year anyway without the large contract.

No brainer.

Niners had similar situation with Marcus Lattimore.

I dont think it will matter either way. Bradford IMO is going to be the Franchise QB there for the next 5+ years. He had a great season considering the shit show that occured throughout the season with the team and he didnt even get an offseason with them last year

WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information