Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Kaepernick

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Kaepernick
Sat May 13, 2017 10:37 am
  • OK, don't shoot me for asking but, why not bring Kaepernick as Russell's backup?
    He has playoff (and SB) experience and 'should' be better than any current backup options, shouldn't he?
    BeaHUman
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Kaepernick
Sat May 13, 2017 10:57 am
  • I believe this goes in the NFL forum. But I read an article, (can't find the link of course), that speculated a bunch of teams view him as not being mentally committed to the game. Between the fact he just wasn't very good, and then his choice of showing public demonstrations for his beliefs, he appears not worth the effort.
    RobDaHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am
  • Not a main page topic.

Carry on here.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am
  • Thanks, Thought if it was team related it would be ok here.
    BeaHUman
    NET Practice Squad

Sat May 13, 2017 11:03 am
  • If it's on the cheap, why not? --- great talent in the past --- maybe everyone has given up on him too easily
    When a person is dead, he doesn't know he's dead .. Same goes for being stupid.
    chet380
    NET Veteran

Sat May 13, 2017 11:04 am
  • BeaHUman wrote:Thanks, Thought if it was team related it would be ok here.

Only if it was reported that the hawks were in a talk with him or his agent or he was on the team I believe.
    RobDaHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 13, 2017 10:18 pm
  • Would be awesome if they can get him for relatively cheap but he might get around $10M per, so it probably won't happen.

If they had him last season, Wilson probably sits out a few games and is more rested/healed for the playoffs.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 am
  • Unless $$ doesn't fit, otherwise no reason no to get Kaepernick. Massive upgrade over whatever we had or likely to have.
    toffee
    NET Rookie

Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 pm
  • Niners fan here. Have you guys not watched him lately? I really don't think his heart is in it. He could have went to the broncos but didn't want to take a pay cut. Now teams don't want him for whatever reason they have. But me personally I think the guy WAS a huge talent that never evolved. The league has caught up with him and he is not developing.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Sun May 14, 2017 12:36 pm
  • rlkats wrote:Niners fan here. Have you guys not watched him lately? I really don't think his heart is in it. He could have went to the broncos but didn't want to take a pay cut. Now teams don't want him for whatever reason they have. But me personally I think the guy WAS a huge talent that never evolved. The league has caught up with him and he is not developing.

Always a complicated issue.

Some of it is on him, but to muscle through with s*** supporting casts and a defense that constantly puts him to the 24+ point test is a lot for many QBs to deal with. People forget what Cam Newton looks like in down seasons.

There was a marked transition in his NFL career between the 2014 opener in Dallas and the Levi's opener the week after against Chicago, from a mental standpoint.

His 2014 season was seen as a regression yet because the defense was so good the Niners won 8 games. His 2016 performance isolated purely to him I think looked better than 2014.

I know it's fashionable to destroy the guy and it looks like extreme homerism to not want to write him off when everyone else is, but in a league where Alex Smith had a huge turnaround, anything goes.

6 years ago at this time, nobody was asking whether Smith could get a team (back) to a Super Bowl.....they merely asked if he could actually play.

Because of this, I think the Kap story plays out at least another year.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Sun May 14, 2017 8:55 pm
  • If he really wants to play and is willing to bet on himself for a one year deal as a backup I could see the Hawks bringing him in for about $3 mil but apparently he doesn't look like he's really into the NFL anymore. Sounds like he'd sign somewhere for big bucks but not otherwise.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 4:52 am
  • He sh!# in his own bed, now he has to sleep in it.

Kaepernick was over rated to begin with, thrived behind an outstanding offensive line and an All Pro running back, a defense that gave him good field position and kept scoring low, and a league that was unprepared for his style of play (as they were with RG3 and Russell). He essentially had the same game with the Niners that he had when he played college ball at Nevada and was never able to adjust his game to take advantage of what defenses were willing to give him.

Now he's compounded the problems he's had developing his game with political baggage, and despite his pledge to stand during the anthem, no team is willing to take the PR hit they would have to endure by bringing him in.

Can't say as I feel sorry for him.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 am
  • As I've said before, I'd hate it but Kaep would be a good signing for Seattle.

They are one of the few teams in the NFL that are still a scheme fit for him and he hasn't fallen off nearly as far as people say.

Last year was a return season from THREE separate surgeries (Knee, shoulder, hand) that prevented him from working out. He lost a TON of weight. He slowly regained that weight throughout the season and while he had some pretty bad games he did have a 16/4 TD/INT ratio and a QB rating of 90.7 with possibly the leagues worst WR corps.

Dunno if he'll ever be starter again, but IMO he'd be a great backup in Seattle and I hope it never happens. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:and a QB rating of 90.7 with possibly the leagues worst WR corps.

Maybe if he could get all the way up to 92.6 they'd think he could be a decent backup, but 90.7 is just trash, man.

;)

(calm down everyone, this is a very deliberate joke post. please don't get worked up or post back as if it's a serious one).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 am

Mon May 15, 2017 11:47 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:As I've said before, I'd hate it but Kaep would be a good signing for Seattle.

They are one of the few teams in the NFL that are still a scheme fit for him and he hasn't fallen off nearly as far as people say.

Last year was a return season from THREE separate surgeries (Knee, shoulder, hand) that prevented him from working out. He lost a TON of weight. He slowly regained that weight throughout the season and while he had some pretty bad games he did have a 16/4 TD/INT ratio and a QB rating of 90.7 with possibly the leagues worst WR corps.

Dunno if he'll ever be starter again, but IMO he'd be a great backup in Seattle and I hope it never happens. :D

I actually wasn't aware that Kaep was coming off three surgeries last season. I knew he quietly had a pretty good year considering the lack of talent surrounding him, but didn't know he was recovering from any surgeries.

I always loved to hate Kaep, but he would be a great addition to the Seahawks if he was willing to play for the right price. You never know if Russell Wilson (Alex Smith) might go down and Kaep lights it up for a few games.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am
  • I hope we sign Kaepernik. He was good when he had some talent around him.

Ah america, where we tout our "freedom" and then crap all over anyone who actually exercises it.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:I hope we sign Kaepernik. He was good when he had some talent around him.

Ah america, where we tout our "freedom" and then crap all over anyone who actually exercises it.

You're confusing the meaning of the first amendment. Freedom of speech is the freedom from persecution from the government. You can say anything you want, but that does not mean their will not be consequences for what you say, or the actions you take. That is the other side of the first amendment.

That bit aside I do question his work ethic. Kaepernick looked as if he mailed it in last season when Gabbert was announced starter. I think that is the real reason why teams won't sign the guy. To make things worse he was a huge distraction for his team. Not the kind of person you want on your team. If he wasn't happy as a backup in SF he won't be happy here.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 12:34 pm
  • I realize the Seahawks are labeled the land of misfit toys these days with all the different characters we bring in, but do we really want this headache? Besides the issues he brings with his attitude and actions, the guy pretty much stinks on the field too. With the Oline not getting the necessary upgrades to be even average, I unfortunately feel that the backup QB will be seeing time this season. I also understand that we need a fleet of foot guy because of the line but Kaepernick is an embarrassment. I'd rather have Boykin at this point.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 2:50 pm
  • Lots on this in the first two points of the Ten Things part of King's column today: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/15/buff ... peter-king

(Fwiw I wouldn't call myself a King fan, but save for his Pats obsession he annoys me a lot less than he seems to annoy others -- although I wouldn't dispute what's annoying about him)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 3:21 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:Lots on this in the first two points of the Ten Things part of King's column today: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/15/buff ... peter-king

(Fwiw I wouldn't call myself a King fan, but save for his Pats obsession he annoys me a lot less than he seems to annoy others -- although I wouldn't dispute what's annoying about him)

He's not terrible as a reporter, his big issue is how self-important his stuff comes off.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 pm
  • There are other potential backups out there that would fit the bill better than Kaepernick. Thumbs down to this idea.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:There are other potential backups out there that would fit the bill better than Kaepernick. Thumbs down to this idea.

So if Wilson goes down, who's available that fits the bill better than Kap to take the Hawks to the super bowl?
    massari
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 5:01 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:There are other potential backups out there that would fit the bill better than Kaepernick. Thumbs down to this idea.

So if Wilson goes down, who's available that fits the bill better than Kap to take the Hawks to the super bowl?

The one who was our starter in '11 and our backup from '12-'15. Thank you for asking.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 5:24 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:
    massari wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:There are other potential backups out there that would fit the bill better than Kaepernick. Thumbs down to this idea.

The one who was our starter in '11 and our backup from '12-'15. Thank you for asking.

Your loyalty is admirable.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 5:36 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:
    massari wrote:

I'd be satisfied with a training camp showdown between those two. I'd find that very interesting.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 5:41 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:
    massari wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:
    massari wrote:So if Wilson goes down, who's available that fits the bill better than Kap to take the Hawks to the super bowl?

I'd be satisfied with a training camp showdown between those two. I'd find that very interesting.

I liked Tarvaris Jackson as much as the next Seahawks fan. He will never lead a team to the Super Bowl. Period.

I do wish we still had his All-Pro coin flip calling talents, though.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 pm
  • Go ahead and continue this discussion.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu May 18, 2017 8:37 pm
  • I find it quite simple. Did you guys meaningfully upgrade your O line? He needs time, If that line doesn't give him time he will 100% be a liability.
    Sourdough #49
    NET Rookie

Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 pm
  • Sourdough #49 wrote:I find it quite simple. Did you guys meaningfully upgrade your O line? He needs time, If that line doesn't give him time he will 100% be a liability.

That's actually a solid point. Time will tell. I think they did, but it hasn't been proven yet.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 am
  • Mods, can we merge the thread below with this one?

There was some good analysis in the thread, plus it showed fans' viewpoints over the past several weeks leading up to his move. :3-1:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=136409
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri May 19, 2017 11:18 pm
  • Here in the Bay, the rumors of Kaep going to SEA are at a pitch.

Reasons this would make sense: Kaep's QB rating, the fact that he did improve somewhat in 2016, and most of all, the fact that the culture would have Kaep intensely familiar with Seattle's playbook. How many snaps the backup would play depends on how healthy Russ really is, but even Blaine Gabbert has a job. Pickings are lean.

Reasons I hate: The fact that people from POTUS on down have made it a political issue with this guy. I see it more as a fan and marketing distraction, compounded by Kaep's diss on Seattle fans in that earphone commercial. And pressure from MSM to take Kaep b/c Seattle would be more "tolerant" (see 2013 commercial).

It's complicated. Like I said, if he came in at league minimum for a camp body, why not.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon May 22, 2017 1:54 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Here in the Bay, the rumors of Kaep going to SEA are at a pitch.

Reasons this would make sense: Kaep's QB rating, the fact that he did improve somewhat in 2016, and most of all, the fact that the culture would have Kaep intensely familiar with Seattle's playbook. How many snaps the backup would play depends on how healthy Russ really is, but even Blaine Gabbert has a job. Pickings are lean.

Reasons I hate: The fact that people from POTUS on down have made it a political issue with this guy. I see it more as a fan and marketing distraction, compounded by Kaep's diss on Seattle fans in that earphone commercial. And pressure from MSM to take Kaep b/c Seattle would be more "tolerant" (see 2013 commercial).

It's complicated. Like I said, if he came in at league minimum for a camp body, why not.

Although his TD/INT ratio improved and is largely responsible for his good QB rating, Kaep still completed less than 60% of his passes. He's been inaccurate throughout his career. Plus he still has this run-first mentality when plays break down, not the eyes downfield like Russell does. He reminds me a lot of Jake Locker, great arm, big running threat, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passing. He thrived behind a great offensive line, something he won't have here.

I'm hearing rumors that his heart is no longer in the game. His GF denies his agent's claim that several teams have expressed interest, says that no one has. Even if he didn't have all the personal baggage he has, it would be a big risk to bring in a guy that has lost his desire to play and is just here for a paycheck.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Mon May 22, 2017 8:33 am
  • Any time a Girl friend speaks for a player there typically is a problem somewhere.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 24, 2017 7:49 am
  • RiverDog wrote:His GF denies his agent's claim that several teams have expressed interest, says that no one has.

Harry Edwards is not Kaepernick's agent. He's not even an agent. He's a consultant for the 49ers.

Kaepernick's GF tweeted objecting to Edward's being identified as Kaepernick's "adviser." She said that if his adviser was getting contacted by teams he would have heard about it (suggesting he hadn't).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Here in the Bay, the rumors of Kaep going to SEA are at a pitch.

Although his TD/INT ratio improved and is largely responsible for his good QB rating, Kaep still completed less than 60% of his passes. He's been inaccurate throughout his career. Plus he still has this run-first mentality when plays break down, not the eyes downfield like Russell does. He reminds me a lot of Jake Locker, great arm, big running threat, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passing. He thrived behind a great offensive line, something he won't have here.

I'm hearing rumors that his heart is no longer in the game. His GF denies his agent's claim that several teams have expressed interest, says that no one has. Even if he didn't have all the personal baggage he has, it would be a big risk to bring in a guy that has lost his desire to play and is just here for a paycheck.

Be that as it may, he is still better than a few starters from last year (even PFF agrees with this). As a backup he'd be a windfall. There aren't many bottom tier starters that are on rosters as backups. Usually they are starting (despite not necessarily deserving it).

And additionally, one should take the weapons around him into account. Kaepernick did not have the likes of Graham or Edlemen or mediocre players at any skill position. All were well below average.

He is pretty careful with the football (career INT% is the same as Tom Brady's) and teams always have to scheme specially for him despite his flaws because of his absurd athletic ability. As a backup that would be a great thing to have.

If I were Seattle and he was willing to sign a reasonable contract, I wouldn't think twice about it. Especially becsuse the market is weak enough foe him due to "certain things" that they'd get a great discount.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Thu May 25, 2017 12:42 am
  • Siouxhawk wrote:
    massari wrote:

If it weren't for Jackson, the 49ers might still be winless at Century Link this decade.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Tue May 30, 2017 6:10 pm
  • massari wrote:

Simple answer: No one, including Kaepernick. If Russell goes out for the season, we're screwed. Most teams that lose their franchise QB never make it to the Super Bowl. Brady is the only QB I can think of that came in after the starter (Bledsoe) went down and took his team to the SB. That is, unless you want to go back to someone like Earl Morrall.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Tue May 30, 2017 7:21 pm
  • I think Kaep having a team support and believe in him, ESPECIALLY from a former rival if given the chance would relish the thought of shutting every damn last naysayer up.
    People in here suggesting TJack ??
    Kaep has proven legs, TJack has proven he's willing to hold on to the ball with zero peripheral vision and take a sack.
    Oh yeah-he has domestic violence issues and whatnot but that pales in comparison to Kaeps kneeling :sarcasm_off:
    Folks just have a hard time swallowing truth while it dissolves on their tongue. The bitterness grows and leaves them grasping for irrational conclusions.
    People are frightened to admit the possibility of being wrong if their lives and social beliefs depend on it.
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

Tue May 30, 2017 8:41 pm
  • The Breh wrote:I think Kaep having a team support and believe in him, ESPECIALLY from a former rival if given the chance would relish the thought of shutting every damn last naysayer up.
    People in here suggesting TJack ??
    Kaep has proven legs, TJack has proven he's willing to hold on to the ball with zero peripheral vision and take a sack.
    Oh yeah-he has domestic violence issues and whatnot but that pales in comparison to Kaeps kneeling :sarcasm_off:
    Folks just have a hard time swallowing truth while it dissolves on their tongue. The bitterness grows and leaves them grasping for irrational conclusions.
    People are frightened to admit the possibility of being wrong if their lives and social beliefs depend on it.

I'd take Tarvaris over Kaep every time. Team knows him, he knows the team and the system and I just think he's a better fit all the way around. And he was exonerated of all domestic violence charges.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm
  • Tavaris is 34, and has been out of football for going on 2 years now.

His NFL career is over.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Tue May 30, 2017 11:20 pm
  • Congrats, yet ANOTHER locked Kaep thread due to political content and the derailment of the topic to T-Jack.
    It really isn't THAT hard to follow the rules here. Repeat offenders are going to start getting unpaid vacations from here on out.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information