Kaepernick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaHUman

Reaction score
OK, don't shoot me for asking but, why not bring Kaepernick as Russell's backup?
He has playoff (and SB) experience and 'should' be better than any current backup options, shouldn't he?

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I believe this goes in the NFL forum. But I read an article, (can't find the link of course), that speculated a bunch of teams view him as not being mentally committed to the game. Between the fact he just wasn't very good, and then his choice of showing public demonstrations for his beliefs, he appears not worth the effort.

chet380

Reaction score
If it's on the cheap, why not? --- great talent in the past --- maybe everyone has given up on him too easily

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
BeaHUman":1e6ima5w said:
Thanks, Thought if it was team related it would be ok here.

Only if it was reported that the hawks were in a talk with him or his agent or he was on the team I believe.

massari

Reaction score
Would be awesome if they can get him for relatively cheap but he might get around $10M per, so it probably won't happen.

If they had him last season, Wilson probably sits out a few games and is more rested/healed for the playoffs.

toffee

Reaction score
Unless $$ doesn't fit, otherwise no reason no to get Kaepernick. Massive upgrade over whatever we had or likely to have.

rlkats

Reaction score
Niners fan here. Have you guys not watched him lately? I really don't think his heart is in it. He could have went to the broncos but didn't want to take a pay cut. Now teams don't want him for whatever reason they have. But me personally I think the guy WAS a huge talent that never evolved. The league has caught up with him and he is not developing.

NINEster

Reaction score
rlkats":2hdeussn said:
Niners fan here. Have you guys not watched him lately? I really don't think his heart is in it. He could have went to the broncos but didn't want to take a pay cut. Now teams don't want him for whatever reason they have. But me personally I think the guy WAS a huge talent that never evolved. The league has caught up with him and he is not developing.

Always a complicated issue.

Some of it is on him, but to muscle through with s*** supporting casts and a defense that constantly puts him to the 24+ point test is a lot for many QBs to deal with. People forget what Cam Newton looks like in down seasons.

There was a marked transition in his NFL career between the 2014 opener in Dallas and the Levi's opener the week after against Chicago, from a mental standpoint.

His 2014 season was seen as a regression yet because the defense was so good the Niners won 8 games. His 2016 performance isolated purely to him I think looked better than 2014.

I know it's fashionable to destroy the guy and it looks like extreme homerism to not want to write him off when everyone else is, but in a league where Alex Smith had a huge turnaround, anything goes.

6 years ago at this time, nobody was asking whether Smith could get a team (back) to a Super Bowl.....they merely asked if he could actually play.

Because of this, I think the Kap story plays out at least another year.

Seafan

Reaction score
If he really wants to play and is willing to bet on himself for a one year deal as a backup I could see the Hawks bringing him in for about $3 mil but apparently he doesn't look like he's really into the NFL anymore. Sounds like he'd sign somewhere for big bucks but not otherwise.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He sh!# in his own bed, now he has to sleep in it.

Kaepernick was over rated to begin with, thrived behind an outstanding offensive line and an All Pro running back, a defense that gave him good field position and kept scoring low, and a league that was unprepared for his style of play (as they were with RG3 and Russell). He essentially had the same game with the Niners that he had when he played college ball at Nevada and was never able to adjust his game to take advantage of what defenses were willing to give him.

Now he's compounded the problems he's had developing his game with political baggage, and despite his pledge to stand during the anthem, no team is willing to take the PR hit they would have to endure by bringing him in.

Can't say as I feel sorry for him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
As I've said before, I'd hate it but Kaep would be a good signing for Seattle.

They are one of the few teams in the NFL that are still a scheme fit for him and he hasn't fallen off nearly as far as people say.

Last year was a return season from THREE separate surgeries (Knee, shoulder, hand) that prevented him from working out. He lost a TON of weight. He slowly regained that weight throughout the season and while he had some pretty bad games he did have a 16/4 TD/INT ratio and a QB rating of 90.7 with possibly the leagues worst WR corps.

Dunno if he'll ever be starter again, but IMO he'd be a great backup in Seattle and I hope it never happens. :D

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1es4o6ie said:
and a QB rating of 90.7 with possibly the leagues worst WR corps.

Maybe if he could get all the way up to 92.6 they'd think he could be a decent backup, but 90.7 is just trash, man.

;)

(calm down everyone, this is a very deliberate joke post. please don't get worked up or post back as if it's a serious one).

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Marvin49":2y1srqzi said:
As I've said before, I'd hate it but Kaep would be a good signing for Seattle.

They are one of the few teams in the NFL that are still a scheme fit for him and he hasn't fallen off nearly as far as people say.

Last year was a return season from THREE separate surgeries (Knee, shoulder, hand) that prevented him from working out. He lost a TON of weight. He slowly regained that weight throughout the season and while he had some pretty bad games he did have a 16/4 TD/INT ratio and a QB rating of 90.7 with possibly the leagues worst WR corps.

Dunno if he'll ever be starter again, but IMO he'd be a great backup in Seattle and I hope it never happens. :D
I actually wasn't aware that Kaep was coming off three surgeries last season. I knew he quietly had a pretty good year considering the lack of talent surrounding him, but didn't know he was recovering from any surgeries.

I always loved to hate Kaep, but he would be a great addition to the Seahawks if he was willing to play for the right price. You never know if Russell Wilson (Alex Smith) might go down and Kaep lights it up for a few games.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I hope we sign Kaepernik. He was good when he had some talent around him.

Ah america, where we tout our "freedom" and then crap all over anyone who actually exercises it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2w31u27l said:
I hope we sign Kaepernik. He was good when he had some talent around him.

Ah america, where we tout our "freedom" and then crap all over anyone who actually exercises it.
You're confusing the meaning of the first amendment. Freedom of speech is the freedom from persecution from the government. You can say anything you want, but that does not mean their will not be consequences for what you say, or the actions you take. That is the other side of the first amendment.

That bit aside I do question his work ethic. Kaepernick looked as if he mailed it in last season when Gabbert was announced starter. I think that is the real reason why teams won't sign the guy. To make things worse he was a huge distraction for his team. Not the kind of person you want on your team. If he wasn't happy as a backup in SF he won't be happy here.

nash72

Reaction score
I realize the Seahawks are labeled the land of misfit toys these days with all the different characters we bring in, but do we really want this headache? Besides the issues he brings with his attitude and actions, the guy pretty much stinks on the field too. With the Oline not getting the necessary upgrades to be even average, I unfortunately feel that the backup QB will be seeing time this season. I also understand that we need a fleet of foot guy because of the line but Kaepernick is an embarrassment. I'd rather have Boykin at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.