NFL Overtime now 10 minutes

HawkGA

Reaction score
Last year seemed to have a lot more overtime games and a couple of ties. But that was out of the ordinary (I assume, haven't actually looked at the data). I suspect this is a change with minimal effect.

I do think they should go to the college model though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":hmsf3e8n said:
sdog1981":hmsf3e8n said:
Do they want more ties?
Apparently so.

I disagree....

Here is my thought. The lady next door looks really nice in that tight top and ....oh um uh....I think that shortening the timeframe of the extra inning will make the game go a lot faster with a bit different strategy going in. You cant lazy around with the hour and a half left after tying the game up tight at the end of reg. The will have to go faster field goals or faster chances to make a TD. That will lead to more aggressive play.

Crizilla

Reaction score
this makes no sense.....GET RID OF THE POSSIBILITY OF A TIE INSTEAD

mikeak

Reaction score
I would prefer a shootout format

5 plays from 10 yard line. You score 6 or 0 on each play. Pure shootout

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
mikeak":u40o8h0z said:

I'm inclined to agree with you but can you imagine the reviews after each play. What happens if there is PI etc?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
UK_Seahawk":10m3tcg9 said:
mikeak":10m3tcg9 said:

I'm inclined to agree with you but can you imagine the reviews after each play. What happens if there is PI etc?

The battles for top scoring offense and top scoring defense would certainly get interesting.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1msx3p7j said:
UK_Seahawk":1msx3p7j said:
mikeak":1msx3p7j said:

The battles for top scoring offense and top scoring defense would certainly get interesting.

Well clearly that would have to be excluded from being counted in the stats (OT should be excluded regardless)

And for reviews - yeah you better be on top of it but how much fun would it be. You could even do it where each team is going at it on opposite sides of the field. Obviously only one play ever but it would mean you don't swap everyone in and out. Offenses are both lined up around each 25 yard line and defenses opposite them. Teams have 40 seconds after the other play is whistled dead to run a play on the opposite side of the field and can't run it until 10 secs have passed

Just a thought sure the details could be improved

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Penalty shot style.
Instead of kickers kicking FG's, choose 5 linemen, they get to attempt it from the old XP spot.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":10cgvg6s said:
Penalty shot style.
Instead of kickers kicking FG's, choose 5 linemen, they get to attempt it from the old XP spot.

If we're going to go out there, we may as well go way out there.....5 guys from each team line up at the 50 yard line....the ball is placed directly in the center of the goal line. Whoever comes up with the ball wins.....no holds barred....

gowazzu02

Reaction score
NFL changes rule because Peyton Manning didn't get to touch ball in Overtime and lost on field goal. Now not only do first field goals not end game. Let's shorten the frame so that we have more ties.

rjdriver

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":qqwc9cel said:
New rule change from a full 15 minute quarter to 10 minutes. Fear of injury cited as a concern.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 102033612/

Also there will be no mandatory roster cutdown to 75. (Same link above)

Fear of injury? They have no problem with Thursday night games which is far more dangerous than an extra 5 mins of an occasional OT game.

NINEster

Reaction score
gowazzu02":38wozegs said:
NFL changes rule because Peyton Manning didn't get to touch ball in Overtime and lost on field goal. Now not only do first field goals not end game. Let's shorten the frame so that we have more ties.

Which Peyton Manning game was that?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
January 3, 2009 - Wildcard matchup
Chargers 23 - Colts 17

Chargers won the OT coin toss, and then went on to win the game when Rivers connected with Sproles for a TD on the OT opening drive.

5196977899 68d3c1ff0b

Peyton and his apologists threw a fit about him not getting to touch the ball in OT, and the sudden death rule was changed to the current Modified Sudden Death OT rule before the 2010 season.

Despite Ben Roethlisberger being the first big name quarterback to suffer a big loss under the new rules (at the hands of Tim Tebow, no less), it wasn't until another Peyton Manning OT loss that serious consideration was made to changing the OT rule to allow both offenses to touch the ball.

6399da5a 5122 11e5 8326 8fd82f339d80 1024x1024Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch dives into the end zone for the game winning touchdown during over time as the Seattle Seahawks play the Denver Broncos at Century Link Field in Seattle on September 21, 2014.

Broncos 20 @ Seahawks 26

And the Peyton crybabies started whining that the OT rule, that had changed at Peyton's behest from a FG being sufficient to win OT to a TD being required to win on the first drive, was unfair and needed to be further modified so both offenses got a chance.

Broncos-Seahawks a classic, but NFL’s OT rules must change

Was the NFL's overtime rule unfair to Peyton Manning and the Broncos?

Peyton Manning: Overtime rules 'put a premium on the coin toss'

bigskydoc

Reaction score
NINEster":2zko82op said:
gowazzu02":2zko82op said:

Which Peyton Manning game was that?

Derp. see the bolded bigsky.

Yep that didn't happen

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Don't see a problem with reducing to 10 minutes. Extended time only affects 1.5% of all OT contests anyway.

I'd try and simplify the goofy scoring rules for a 'play to win' model. Rules to simply state: Each team alternates possession order established by coin flip. Neither team may attempt to score where the successful score result would be a tie. Would force teams in second possession to score TDs if down 3. Or score TD + 2pt conversion if down 7. And End of Game if down 8.

Keep the OT time at 10 minutes.

Essentially being something like the 3rd OT rule from college. But from the outset. And not starting arbitrarily from inside opponents' territory.

I'd be willing to bet that not allowing a team to retie in OT affects more than 1.5% of OT games.