Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Clayton out at ESPN

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Clayton out at ESPN
Wed May 31, 2017 6:34 am

Re: Clayton out at ESPN
Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 am

Wed May 31, 2017 7:20 am
  • I'm glad that this doesn't change his status on local radio. At least we can still get to hear his take. He may not have 100% accuracy (who does really), but he reports with fairness and a fairly high amount of accuracy. I'd take his opinion seriously way more often than most of the sports reporters out there. You just don't see him get into a lot of the click bait stuff that so many seem to use too often.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 31, 2017 8:10 am
  • kidhawk wrote:I'm glad that this doesn't change his status on local radio. At least we can still get to hear his take. He may not have 100% accuracy (who does really), but he reports with fairness and a fairly high amount of accuracy. I'd take his opinion seriously way more often than most of the sports reporters out there. You just don't see him get into a lot of the click bait stuff that so many seem to use too often.

Your last sentence is one of the reasons he is so good. The TMZ mentality is all too common in the sports media these days.
    Clayton will land on his feet and probably have a new national gig within' a month (barring a no-compete clause).
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 31, 2017 8:17 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:I'm glad that this doesn't change his status on local radio. At least we can still get to hear his take. He may not have 100% accuracy (who does really), but he reports with fairness and a fairly high amount of accuracy. I'd take his opinion seriously way more often than most of the sports reporters out there. You just don't see him get into a lot of the click bait stuff that so many seem to use too often.

Your last sentence is one of the reasons he is so good. The TMZ mentality is all too common in the sports media these days.
    Clayton will land on his feet and probably have a new national gig within' a month (barring a no-compete clause).

I would hope that Clayton is smart enough to insure that any non-compete clause in his contract would have escape routes for situations where he is laid off such as this.

I have become less and less a fan of national sports media and focus more on local media as I think they generally do a better job of covering what I want to know.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 31, 2017 8:42 am
  • ESPN is dumb.

It feels like they just want hot women and loud mouths. Entertainment over substance. I watch the games for entertainment, I watch sports shows for information and insight.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 8:56 am
  • I love how everyone bashes TMZ. You do realize in 2017 TMZ is the source of news and ESPN is the source of reaction to the news. TMZ Sports reports more news than ESPN does and that is why 2017 ESPN is screwed.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 am
  • John is good at what he does, better yet he's truly a good person. John, here's hoping that you land somewhere better and we can enjoy your work for years to come.
    Anajimmc
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 am
  • He was working on Serius XM NFL over the weekend so I hope that gig sticks
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 9:36 am
  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed May 31, 2017 1:07 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:I love how everyone bashes TMZ. You do realize in 2017 TMZ is the source of news and ESPN is the source of reaction to the news. TMZ Sports reports more news than ESPN does and that is why 2017 ESPN is screwed.

If which sports star the latest Kardashian is hooking up with then sure yes. News. But thats not what I consider news....
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 pm
  • The Professor? ? You got to be kidding me! ESPN blows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Starter

Wed May 31, 2017 4:24 pm
  • I hope that now he has time to get that run in.
    BC HAWK
    NET Rookie

Wed May 31, 2017 4:52 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:I love how everyone bashes TMZ. You do realize in 2017 TMZ is the source of news and ESPN is the source of reaction to the news. TMZ Sports reports more news than ESPN does and that is why 2017 ESPN is screwed.

What the hell is TMZ?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 5:47 pm
  • ESPN is a dumpster fire. They started pushing issues and agendas that were outside the pervue of sports and it cost them.

I canceled my subscriptions to ESPN and Sports Illustrated for that reason.

I think Fox sports recognized that trend and focused on sports. I think they will come out on top because of it.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 31, 2017 5:54 pm
  • Hawkfish wrote:That sucks! In my mind, he is THE NFL reporter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-at-espn/

Could not agree more!

But Clayton didn't appear to be too upset!

He'll stay busy and probably can get another gig as fast as he wants too!

ESPN sucks now!

I like John Clayton!

He's my favorite reporter!

I want to meet him someday and take a photo with him!

The man is a legend!
    "You know why I'm on Seahawks.net!" -Marshawn Lynch

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Pete Carroll & Darrell Bevell be like: "Trust us--we're gonna outsmart them!"
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Starter

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:21 am
  • ESPN sucks and I don't watch that Network unless I have to for a Seahawks game. They have to much politics in there programming now. It's unfortunate that politics has become such a dividing line in America that even our Sports are becoming politicized. They also engage in to much negative coverage of certain teams. ESPN has been on an absolute mission to run down Seattle this off season. Even when the players come out on record and give different facts they just ignore them and pump out exaggerated stories and a narrative that fits there agenda.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 pm
  • John Clayton is awesome. Espn must be going down in flames. Longtime fan...him an Huard..
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:59 am
  • Love the Professor.

Goodbye espn.com
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:30 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:ESPN sucks and I don't watch that Network unless I have to for a Seahawks game. They have to much politics in there programming now. It's unfortunate that politics has become such a dividing line in America that even our Sports are becoming politicized. They also engage in to much negative coverage of certain teams. ESPN has been on an absolute mission to run down Seattle this off season. Even when the players come out on record and give different facts they just ignore them and pump out exaggerated stories and a narrative that fits there agenda.

They do this to the Jets too. I think it is a sign that the team has arrived to a point that any Seahawks news is national news
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:27 pm
  • I don't watch a lot of ESPN for various reasons, but mostly because it has become tabloid TV and I hate that.

I'm not surprised Clayton is out, his role had already being reduced. The only thing I ever saw him doing was giving injury updates and you can find that information in 100 other places now, you don't need ESPN for it.
    LolaRox
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:49 pm
  • LolaRox wrote:I don't watch a lot of ESPN for various reasons, but mostly because it has become tabloid TV and I hate that.

I'm not surprised Clayton is out, his role had already being reduced. The only thing I ever saw him doing was giving injury updates and you can find that information in 100 other places now, you don't need ESPN for it.

On the whole, ESPN does a lot less NFL work then they used to. With the NFL network taking the lion share of those viewers ESPN has pivoted to NBA, MLB, Soccer and Social Justice to fill their time slots.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:30 pm
  • ESPN has been a joke for awhile now. I only watch their live sports programs than sportscenter or any of their gab shows. Clayton seems more suited for the NFL Network anyway. Surprised that they didn't pick him up earlier. Hopefully they will hire him now.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 pm
  • if Clayton was a hot 25 year old female with blonde hair he would of kept his job...its all about eye candy for these sports networks now and some recently retired athletes. in the mix. Actual inside intel and sports journalism is dead.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:ESPN is dumb.

It feels like they just want hot women and loud mouths. Entertainment over substance. I watch the games for entertainment, I watch sports shows for information and insight.

Says the guy with a crotch shot as an avatar.

agreed though, If clayton were a good looking/bloviating loud mouth with no facts to back up his opinion guy, he'd still be in front of the camera. He's not though.
    Pape
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:44 am
  • With his well earned reputation for doing due diligence on any recent releases Pete Carroll has been seen in nearby proximity...

UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:14 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:With his well earned reputation for doing due diligence on any recent releases Pete Carroll has been seen in nearby proximity...

Good one

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:50 am
  • Hope he lands a job and has the last laugh on ESPN! ESPN is no more!
    Ready for Halloween!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:With his well earned reputation for doing due diligence on any recent releases Pete Carroll has been seen in nearby proximity...

New OC?
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 am
  • Threedee wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:With his well earned reputation for doing due diligence on any recent releases Pete Carroll has been seen in nearby proximity...

New OC?

Training camp disc jockey ... nothing but Slayer!
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:16 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:With his well earned reputation for doing due diligence on any recent releases Pete Carroll has been seen in nearby proximity...

New OC?

Next can't-miss O-line prospect. :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information